The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Ive been wanting a sport bike for awhile. I know this may sound strange but I'd like to find one for UBER cheap. I want it just to play with, nothing more. I dont need to be hella fast or super chi chi special. Just a decent sport bike. Anyone have suggestions when looking for a bike? Im 5'6 so I need a smaller bike too. My husband is 6'2. I wonder if there's a bike we could both ride comfortably?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The Honda CBR600 is highly regarded and owners seemed thrilled with them. It might be more bike than you need, but there are a lot of them and you could probably find an inexpensive one.

My friend had a Ninja, 250cc I think, that he really loved. Said it was very tossable, fun to ride, lightweight, just not super fast. Has those great sport bike looks. He's on the short side, so that bike might fit you. The CBR600 might be too large.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I'm in love with my recently acquired CBR600F3, and I'm 5'5" with relatively short legs so the seat height should be fine for you I'd imagine.

I just picked up a helmet, leathers, and gloves yesterday. Ended up going with an Arai helmet, Alpinestars jacket, Icon pants, and Held gloves.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jenn,
Don't know your riding experience, a great bike is the suzuki sv650 not too tall has v twin so loads of torque you don't get with a inline four. Ninja 250 is a nice smaller bike pretty lightweight, lots of fun. These two have been around a while so could probably find one cheap on ebay or cycletrader.

Ducati makes the monster 620 v twin specifically designed for petite ladies. It's a naked bike like the sv650

If your pretty comfortable with your riding abilities any of the recent japanese 600 sportbikes are a great buy. Plenty of power and exc. handling, only slightly less performance wise than a liter bike.(mostly just top end)

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mike,
You picked some good gear, that's about the most important thing is getting the good stuff.

Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Mike,
You picked some good gear, that's about the most important thing is getting the good stuff.

Chris
The place I went to started showing me HJC helmets right off the bat when I asked what they had... I could tell the quality just wasn't there the second I put one on. The Arai helmet is a lot more comfortable, fits my head better, and the ventilation is a lot better. The jacket and pants are both pretty comfortable and fit me well (which isn't something I had expected with my small size). The Held gloves are very nice too.

I wasn't going to go cheap on the gear that could save me from having to go through skin grafts or worse in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
64 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Ducati makes the monster 620 v twin specifically designed for petite ladies. It's a naked bike like the sv650
Chris
would be my choice too, but now I got an Elise

bummer

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Maybe this would help. They list some of the high performance 600s, so take it with a grain of salt. However, the high performance 600 do have a lot of power at the high rpms (10-14K rpm), but at the lower and mid rpms (3K to 6K) are quite docile. It depends on your self-control.

http://www.beginnerbikes.com/pages/guide.html

I'd also recommend Kawasaki's EX500. The 250 Ninja is something you may grow out of. But the EX500 has enough power to keep you interested for awhile.

http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp

The EX500 was my first sports bike back in 1987 and it was a good beginner/intermediate sportbike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would agree that these bikes are a good choice (monster 620 or sv650)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips so far.

I have no riding experience really. I have a motocross bike so I know how to ride, but I dont know how to "ride" if that makes any sense. The most "street" riding ive done has been on sidestreets and neighborhoods.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I second the monster, another choice is mid/late 90's Ducati 900 SS, around 3-4k used, good bikes, loads of fun and not too long a seat reach.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Good recommendations listed above. The SV650 gets my vote.

I'd suggest a MSF class. It'll help you get your license. Naked bikes are better initial bikes since they are cheaper to fix when you inevitably drop it.

Remember riding on the street is alot less forgiving than on a MotoX bike on a dirt trail. You just can't take as many chances on the street.

Get some good protective gear. Have fun!!!

I just got some CF high pipes for my Duck M900Sie. Very cool. :cool:

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
MSF for sure. I thought I knew how to ride pretty well but I took the MSF beginner class for the reduced insurance rate. What an eye opener that class was.

Gear: Buy good safety gear and wear it on _every_ ride. Before you decide to skip on buying good boots for example, think about whether you'd mind going without that foot later on. And gear at home doesn't do you any good obviously. Ask my buddy burned a bunch of skin off of his arm. Bet that would have only been a bruise had he worn his jacket that day.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Cheap bike, sporty, with a seat not to high? Say no more..

SV650 it is. :)

I love mine. I wanted a bike low enough that I could firmly plant both heels down anytime. If you have a short inseam, it's important. After riding tall/heavy bikes and living in fear of the stoplight pothole, I'm happy with a lower ride.

As for cheap, brand new SV650S goes for $5500 out-the-door in LA. Can't beat that.

Pretty much anything in the 600 size that fits your legs should be plenty of fun.

If you'd rather drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, you can go for something smaller and just wring its neck riding it. There's a lot of fun in that too. :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Oh, about the MSF course, I've been told by new riders that in Arizona, if you take and pass the MSF's written and road course exam, you do not need to take the DMV's motorcycle exam.
I'm not sure if that's applicable in ever state though.

Here's a link:
http://www.msf-usa.org/

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think the licence exemption applies in all states. Also a discount on insurance

I'd never ridden a motorcycle until I took the course the MSF is a great course.
Chris

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Hey, Ive been wanting a sport bike for awhile. I know this may sound strange but I'd like to find one for UBER cheap. I want it just to play with, nothing more. I dont need to be hella fast or super chi chi special. Just a decent sport bike. Anyone have suggestions when looking for a bike? Im 5'6 so I need a smaller bike too. My husband is 6'2. I wonder if there's a bike we could both ride comfortably?
This Japanese bike gets my vote... :D

Neil

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts