The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering selling my 2006 BMW Z4 which kind of fills the role of a confortable car for going shopping and on long trips.

I'm thinking about getting a used car for about $40k and my thoughts are either a newer 09 Z4 or a Porsche Cayman S.

What do you guys think?. The issue i have with BMW is that they depreciate in an absurd way, so i can see my 40k turning into 20k within 3 years.

What's keeping me from jumping on the Cayman S is that it feels like it's too much of a similar car to the Elise, except with more civilized manners and trunk space. Also not being a convertible is a minus. (And no, i will not buy a boxster)

I've never driven a cayman S, are they as good daily drivers as people say?, do you guys have any suggestions or perhaps other cars for $40k?. It must be a great looking car, so no M3 or any other sedan Dog.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A lightly used Cayman is a fantastic driving car. Also, there aren't as many of them. I sold my Elise to buy the brand new 2013 Boxster, which has been great as well. Mitts much more Carrera GT like. Since I built mine, I went with a very minimalist approach to keep the weight down, hardly any options except sport plus seats and full leather interior.

Another option is a CPO BMw 1 series. I have the 128i cabrio, but a 128i coupe in stick setup with a good suspension, nice rims and sport seats would be a great DD. probably only about $30,000 and you'd have $10,000 to head over to Lotus in the UK and do some driving schools!

Lotus, Porsche, BMW, you can't go wrong. Try not to worry abut depreciation, life is too short for that.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
You should buy my 2008 RS4 - it's about the best daily driver on the planet...

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
You should buy my 2008 RS4 - it's about the best daily driver on the planet...
Second the RS4 - all around great car for just about anything you want to do. Do you have an ad for yours online? Wife said I had to sell a car or two before buying another (check).

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Second the RS4 - all around great car for just about anything you want to do. Do you have an ad for yours online? Wife said I had to sell a car or two before buying another (check).
I don't yet as I've been very on the fence about selling it. I figure if I just say it's for sale I'll feel less guilty about keeping it - if I post it someone might actually buy it and I'd have to see it go!

That said it's a 2008, 58k miles, stock save for a Magnaflow exhaust (dear lord does it sound amazing) and a small powered sub in the trunk (the Audi stock stereos are just awful). Interior is a 9, exterior is an 8.5 - like all my cars I definitely use it. It has one spider mark/ding on the rear bummer where I hit a snow bank backwards while doing some snow/rally racing with the Audi club. And yes, it's been on the track a few times (I used it while my Lotus was down last summer as I instruct so I needed a car to do demo laps in).

If you're remotely serious PM me and I'll get you pictures and more detail. Car is located in Boulder, CO

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
What's keeping me from jumping on the Cayman S is that it feels like it's too much of a similar car to the Elise, except with more civilized manners and trunk space. Also not being a convertible is a minus. (And no, i will not buy a boxster).
This statement confuses me. A boxster is a convertible Cayman. Its not "sorta like" or "nearly" a convertible cayman, it is one!

Anyways, they are fantastic cars. Actually the coxster twins are probably the most well rounded sports cars ever made. Since you already have a sports car though you may want to consider something different or more practical.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If I had 49k to spend on another car I would get a really nice used Porsch 911/boxster s, or a Mustang Boss.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts