The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, what is Nick up to?

Just this week, not only can I NOT get a confirmation as to what my order number is and when I might expect to order, but I was told that Symbolic would not have any information on allocations, order preference, or even an expected order list for at least another 2-3 weeks. (Or was that another 2-3 years?)

Originally, when I deposited, I was told that the order would likely be taken in the spring with delivery by Sept/Oct, but now I wonder which year...

Did Symbolic override La Jolla customers by intermixing the BH Symbolic ones? Are they still trying to sell well over MSRP and ignore the depositors? What's up???

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
dez said:
Did Symbolic override La Jolla customers by intermixing the BH Symbolic ones? Are they still trying to sell well over MSRP and ignore the depositors? What's up???
When were they ever selling way over MSRP and ignoring deposits? They do give preferential treatment to existing customers (which means you might get bumped a slot of three by someone who's spent millions with them already), but they aren't jacking the price & selling to the first Johnny come Lately who has a pocket full of bills. I have a contract stating that I'm getting mine from them for MSRP - I'm sure I will.

The BH & LJ lists are mixed, but I got the impression that they've always been mixed being that when I signed up last February in BH (before any dealer weirdness was happening) I got an approximate number on the list - After they closed the BH dealer I called to find out what number I was now and was told the same number. I also seem to remember something on their website saying that La Jolla was the only authorized Lotus dealer - but that may have been after they had already made the decision to close the BH location.

That said, I would really feel a lot more comfortable if they would better communicate with their customers (namely us). I'm a bit nervous about the fact that Harry Osbourn (the BH sales manager) is no longer listed being employed there - kinda makes you think that they have no plans for reopening a Los Angeles location.
:confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds a bit more encouraging. I also have it stated on the contract that it will be for MSRP, so I'm not worried about that (just wasn't smart enough at the time to get a list number).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the 'over MSRP' on the first batch. Wasn't the intent to sell those unclaimed by the first depositors over MSRP, or just rumor?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I spoke to Nick a few weeks ago, and he told me to expect delivery around October. I got on the list last June, and was told I was in the 'high 30s' on the BH list at the time.

I'm not sure what they'll do RE getting another LA location, but time will tell. Overall, I'm not too worried about the situation. Maybe they'll sell a few cars at a premium, but I don't think that there are too many buyers who'll pay up for this car. So maybe we have to wait an extra month? At this point, no big deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grudkin said:
So maybe we have to wait an extra month? At this point, no big deal.
I agree, it doesn't really matter, YET. Good point.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've talked to Nick quite a bit, since he was the salesman in Beverly Hills at the time I placed my deposit (Jan 03). He assured me that I would be treated fairly and projected my top 20 position into an August delivery (subject to change given all of the unknowns). Nick also assured me that very few well heeled Symbolic customers were interested in the Elise, so any bumping down would be minimal. Nick also claimed that Symbolic would not be selling cars to the highest bidder. Nick did mention that the La Jolla and Beverly Hills waiting lists were initially separate, then had been combined, and most recently had been separated again.

More recently, Nick referred me to Mike Pedace for info. He told me that Symbolic and Lotus still are negotiating about their allocations and that it would take some time to work out the details about reopening the showroom in BH or elsewhere in the LA area. However, he assured me that Symbolic does not intend to walk away from the second dealer franchise.

I'm hoping that things will work out. However, I remain unhappy about all this uncertainty. Given that the ordering is moving along and production will be underway soon, I think that Lotus and Symbolic need to get things straightened out pretty soon. I'm pretty sure that Lotus doesn't want to see a bunch of unhappy customers in such an important market, but as we have seen with the dealer markup issue, they don't choose to get involved in certain aspects of the business.

Wait and see, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yeah but ultimately the question remains, with ten deposit holders why were'nt they consulted about the order to be able to pick what they wanted. and it is a fact that they did order the ten without consulting the depositors. Have my doubts about the whole crew there, shame such a large market is represented by these people(symbolic)!

Now their depositors (at least the low numbers) are more/less a captive audience unless they want to move to a high number at another dealer, a shame this late in the game. As I've said, I really hope a straightforward honest dealership gets the LA area.

Chris:(

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A guy (Gromit) on the official web site posted a note re talking to Nick at Symbolic a couple of days ago. He seems to have been reassured that all is well. Since he gives his location as San Diego, he's probably on the La Jolla list. Doesn't appear to be any update on the Beverly Hills situation.

Chris - I doubt if Symbolic will bail and hand all these guaranteed sales to a new dealer, plus who's to say that it would be an improvement. I just would like to know where I stand. I'm trying to be optimistic that things will work out and I will get my car from Symbolic by August as they have estimated, but I keep evaluating the offers to sell spots on other waiting lists.

When the Miata came out in 1989, dealers were adding a surcharge to MSRP, and I was forced to wait 6 months to get one and still paid a $500 premium (on a $14000 car). It was easier to deal with the wait then, because one had a lot less information in those pre-internet days. Plus, Miata production was a lot higher than Elise production will be, so it paid to play a waiting game.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Anyone heard any news on Symbolic's 'new L.A. location?'

With the demo cars coming soon, I would have hoped that this could have been resolved by now

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mike Pedace - Symbolic La Jolla

I can't say enough about how well I have been treated by Mike Pedace at Symbolic in La Jolla. I would recommend you speak directly with him since he is fantastic to deal with...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts