The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll buy whoever helps me figure this one out a beer...

There's a "tizzy" sound on overrun in my 06 Elise. That is, when I'm decelerating in gear, there is a pronounced "tizzzzzzz" sound, throughout a very specific mid-rev range, maybe 3k-5k rpm. It also does it on acceleration, but it's not nearly as pronounced (probably due to the louder engine noise).

I can't tell where it's coming from--it's very generalized, and sounds the same when I move my head around in the car... almost like a buzz sound. It does it very consistently.

I put foam tape under the shifter cables on the bottom of the car. I secured a bunch of loose wires and cables when I was installing HIDs. At the SVAG event today, I talked to some other owners, but nobody could nail it down to something conclusive. Does it with the hard top on, soft top, and no top.

Any ideas? Does anyone else think they know what sound I'm talking about from that description?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Check out your exhaust system and its support brackets. I had a similar noise/rattle and it turned out to be my aftermarket exhaust system just touching the chassis at some overrun resonant rpms, even though the clearance seemed adequate statically. An easy fix once the problem was found.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Screws

The screws attaching the panels under the car created that noise on mine, tightening them fixed it that buzzing noise for me.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
One of three things...I'll bet on it!;) Slightly loose heat shield near the header, exhaust causing the diffuser to rattle a bit, or if it is coming from the left side of the car...it's the coolant tubing which goes through the passenger side sill! Take off the sill protector and zip tie everything together in a couple places. All my rattles have ever come from these...now I'm rattle free!:D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just changed the oil, and checked all the bolts I could find on the underbody panel and diffuser panel.

Ace10--Good idea. I haven't tried it out of gear. That could tell a lot since that'd rule out some transmission and shift linkage sources.

Rugbyduck--you're on. I'll send a six pack if it's one of those. There is actually a different muted thump over mid- to high-speed bumps that could be explained by the coolant tubing. I haven't taken off the sill protectors yet. I'll have to look up how to do that.

I know there are a lot of rattles this could be, but I've already tracked down many of them, so keep the ideas coming. I've been taking pictures along the way, so at some point I plan to make a "how to make your elise/exige rattle-free"...

·
Registered
126 Posts
+1 JLSELISE

I just got stage 2 and on overrun through some of the rpm range (3-5k) there's vibration because the tips are touching/hitting the side of the exhaust cutout on the diffuser causing the whole bottom of the car to buzz/tizz (i'm fixing it this week)

I'd check that out on yours too.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The noise I have - and I would call it "tizzy" but that's subjective - is actually gear lash in the transmission. I only get it when at that perfect balance of throttle that has the gear teeth unloaded against eachother.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
just thought I'd mention this in case another person has the same issue:

I also had the "tizzy"/rattle/buzz coming from my exhaust area. I thought for sure it was the exhaust itself (I STILL have the OEM base exhaust) until I was changing my oil yesterday and found two screws (see image) that were very loose, so I tightened them. After a ride into work today, that seems to have solved the buzzing.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
A little test you can do...

While decelerating in gear push the shift lever to the left or right, but keep the shifter in the same gear. does the "tizzy" change? If so, likely to be transmission lash or shift cable buzzing on something. I have that same noise too, and I noticed that it changes if I tweak with the shift lever.....not that I did anything to fix it.:D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A-ha.. OTB.. it does get quieter when I move the shift lever while in gear. Some more than others, and it's never the exact same direction.

Any attempt to fix it? I can't tell if the origin is the shifter linkage or the transmission itself.

I have since realized the sound is not just on overrun as the title suggests. It's mainly decelerating in gear, but occurs to a certain extent, at the right engine/transmission speed, at all times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
how about when the engine is unloaded, not in gear... does it still make the sound?
Mine does this. It makes this sound at all times...idling, accelerating, decelerating. I can hear it inside and outside of the car. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment. I'm confident it's not the underbody panels. Any advice?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I've owned 3 Elise's (own one now), and an 06 Exige. All four did this, never caused any problems. Two were bought brand new, two used (one with 6300 the other with 7700). The two new did it from new, the used were doing it when I bought them. Two different dealer service dept's said :tadts:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My stock '07 Elise does the exact same thing. "Tizzy" noise especially apparent during decel. I ignorantly assume it's something to do with the tranny, because the moment I engage the clutch, the noise completely stops...

The only thing I know for sure is that it did not happen when I bought the car new, and it has gotten progressively louder over time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tizzy?

I know this is going to sound totally stupid, but sometimes you have to go for the simple and easy thing, not something elaborate and difficult to fix.
When I had my Elise, most of the serious buzzes came from the license plate holder and areas near there--right in the RPM ranges you mentioned. I used stick-on rubber feet to stop/isolate those noises and add a small amount of mass to dampen the buzz and alter the resonant frequency.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, one would think... I took off the rear diffuser, tapped things, and actually found a loose rivet on the exhaust shields, and bent the heat shields a bit to be totally silent. I'll check the license plate frame--maybe there are still some obvious things. But the sound definitely sounds deep within the car, if that makes sense. Doesn't really matter if the windows are up or down, etc, almost like a gear grinding noise. Some people have called it backlash, but it does it under both accel, decel, and steady state.

Really curious what this is... I've tracked down and eliminated enough other random rattles and noises that if I could nail this one the car would feel/sound totally solid!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This sounds like the "bloody metallic rattle" that was commonly discussed (complained about) when the Elise hit the US in the fall of 2004. Mine had it. No one seemed to be able to find a cure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts