The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright - time for a cheese ridden poll of what kind of music (bands / or favorite songs) you all listen to when driving your Elise.

In our Elise (here in Palm Beach), I usually keep some Classic Rock or Jazz for upbeat driving:

"Steely Dan - Greatest Hits" (Reelin' in the Years, Bodhisattfa, Time Out Of Mind)

"Doobie Brothers - Live" (China Grove, What a Fool Believes, Minute by Minute).

"Down To the Bone - Cellar Funk" ~ up-tempo Jazz/Funk

"Smooth Jazz - Rare Requests vol.1" (Take Five, Cantaloop)

What about all of you?

PS - Listening to the "music of the engine" doesn't count.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Huun-Huur-Tu

Tuvan throat singing. My personal favorite is called "nnnggonnnnnannnnnnnmmmmmmaaaannnnggggowww" I usually listen to this song when I'm herding my yaks.

This would sound great in an Elise.:up:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you should substitute Steeley Dan's "Alive in America" for the greatest hits disc...it's better.

Right now i've got a good classic rock mix cd spinning in the Elise. Boston, Tom Petty, GNR, Jackson Browne, Rod Stewart, etc. Next up is a good modern pop/rock mix i made.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Foreigner and Eagles should be on the classic rock cd as well.
Eagles are not, Foreigner is (cold as ice). Also some Journey and some other stuff (i think 22 songs are on it). It's basically a perfect karaoke cd

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Re: Huun-Huur-Tu

huggy bear said:
Tuvan throat singing. My personal favorite is called "nnnggonnnnnannnnnnnmmmmmmaaaannnnggggowww"

I've got that one too, it's good. Have you heard the latest album, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ?"

I think it's their best work ever !
:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alive in America

Yeah - I have that disc, but it just doesn't have all the hits I'd like to hear from SD live - Hey Nineteen, FM, Black Cow, Deacon Blues. I saw them live in West Palm Beach last year - unbelievable concert. They played everything except FM I think.

Good suggestion about Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane would be appropriate for an Elise test drive...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great Music

Somehow, I'm not surprised that fellow EliseTalkers appreciate Steely Dan. I saw them 3 times in one week in summer '03 - Tahoe, Portland and The Gorge. ANYTHING by Steely Dan or solo stuff (Nightfly, Kamikiriad) by Donald Fagan are always worth a spin. It took three or four plays before their most recent work (Everything Must Go) gained my appreciation but now I'm clearly addicted to it. They haven't lost anything in their 35 year careers.

Most of Bob Marley's work - and Ziggy's as well - make good driving music. For Ziggy I especially recommend "Spirit of Music" although his latest (Dragonfly) has a lot more social comment which doen't detract from its listenability in any way.

And, of course, you can't overlook The Reverend Al Green - especially the "Best of" disc where he has no shirt on.

"Recurring Dream - The Best of Crowded House" gets a lot of rotation in my listening. Essentially the work of the Finn Brothers, any of Neil Finn's solo work is good but I especially like "Try Whistling This". The track entitled "Sinner" is worth the price of the whole disc but its all strong.

Last, but not least, there is a Seattle band just beginning to break through called Maktub (pronounced Mock-Tube) Pick up their latest disc - Kyronos - and thank me later...:bow:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm thinking AC/DC, nearly any CD.

Mine, of course, has not arrived, and I half suspect it will require more bass.

Thanks to a two hour ride to London Heathrow in an Elise, I have always associated Cheryl Crow's Steve McQueen song with top down motoring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DCNSX said:
blues guitar. Stevie Ray Vaughn makes for great road tunes.
Nice selection - My favorite on the Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble best of is "Riviera Paradise" - but it's too mellow for an exhilarating Elise drive. Maybe his version of "Superstition" with the harpsicord and guitar solos would be good.

It's good to hear of another Steely Dan fan - I have both of Fagen's solo CDs - awesome. Everything Must Go took me a while to acclimate to as well, but now I grin everytime I hear "Blues Beach", "Lunch with Gina" or "the Last Mall".

If you guys really like classics, try the former Doobie Brothers frontman Michael McDonald album "MOTOWN" - "I heard it Through the Grapevine", "Signed Sealed Delivered" and a whole bunch of other classics are covered - the CD rocks.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
offroadr35 said:
Eagles are not, Foreigner is (cold as ice). Also some Journey and some other stuff (i think 22 songs are on it). It's basically a perfect karaoke cd
Jounrney! Yes! Forgot about that one. You should at least get Hotel California and Taking it easy (Eagles)

Why use a CD just go and get a 512 SD card and have all the songs you want on there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YES

When you said "YES", were you agreeing with the U2 selection the other guy made, or were you suggesting that the group "YES" be in the mix? "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is a good one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts