The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I love being asked if my car is a mini El Camino.

Other than that, it's kind of neat knowing that the badge on the nose has also been on the nose of some of the most significant race cars from the golden era of racing.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Just driving it. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The real test of if a car is worth the $$$$ to me is if it compels me to go into the garage at 3 a.m. and look at it like a little kid. Not to many cars that can do that for me.

Speed, acceleration, driving experience is important but I can get much better bang for the buck with sport bikes. (And, I have the same criteria for sport bikes too ;)).

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
The real test of if a car is worth the $$$$ to me is if it compels me to go into the garage at 3 a.m. and look at it like a little kid. Not to many cars that can do that for me.

Speed, acceleration, driving experience is important but I can get much better bang for the buck with sport bikes. (And, I have the same criteria for sport bikes too ;)).
Interestingly, having owned a Solstice Coupe, Chrysler Crossfire, and even a Pontiac Fiero in the past, I've visited their forums and...in all of those forums owners express virtually the EXACT same attraction to their cars.

And I imagine you'll find the same thing at the Z car (BMW and Nissan), Mustang, Camaro, Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche, BRZ, S2000, Miata, etc. forums. But that's ok, that's what makes the car hobby so interesting.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hos, fo sho!
Oh snap, I need to move to the Chi.

I'm just in love with the driving experience. I've been daily driving the incredible S2000 for years now. It's the most capable car and affordable car.

THEN I get into my Elise. I completely forget about the S2000 because it blows it out of the water when it comes to driving.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Interestingly, having owned a Solstice Coupe, Chrysler Crossfire, and even a Pontiac Fiero in the past, I've visited their forums and...in all of those forums owners express virtually the EXACT same attraction to their cars.

And I imagine you'll find the same thing at the Z car (BMW and Nissan), Mustang, Camaro, Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche, BRZ, S2000, Miata, etc. forums. But that's ok, that's what makes the car hobby so interesting.
Yes, but most of those cars won't bring me into the garage in the early hours of the morning which is why they're not on my "must have it" list (except the C7 and new Boxster S).

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts

+1 So glad I'm not the only one who goes out the garage just to look at it. I literally make excuses sometimes just to go into the garage.

Every time I pull into my driveway and hit the garage door opener I get a huge smile on my face when the door gets high enough to see my exige. It never gets old.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Over 40 years ago I was a teenager forming ideas of what I wanted in life. Some of that what we now call "bucket list" stuff.

Three of these were: have a Europa, visit Hethel, and buy a new Lotus off a showroom floor.

So these things came to pass. And so much more. I'd never planned to drive a car on a track. Now we have 50 track weekends. I installed a supercharger and so much more here in my garage, with the help of this forum. I've put that look in the eyes of passengers that tracking a car can provide :eek:

So for me, the best thing about owning a Lotus is that they have helped me have the feeling of having had a good life.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ha! Funny coincidence... I own a Chrysler Crossfire as well, and the owners are definitely just as fanatical. It's actually not a bad car for what it is (a good deal) and it's really torquey and sounds wonderful (Mercedes under the covers, and they've always known how to make a good engine note) which makes it super fun to drive around town.

But this thread is about what's great about the Lotus... here are the things I like:

1) Great drive. Nothing else connects with the road the same way, regardless of how fast it goes in a straight line or even around a track. Makes every other car feel like a yacht.

2) Looks. Fun to take pictures of, fun to talk about, fun to stare at.

3) Vendors/aftermarket. Not as big by a few hundred times as, say, American Iron but pretty solid for only a few thousand of them in the US.

4) Quirkiness+Engineering. Every time I take apart the car I find something else that either makes me ask "were they drunk?!" or makes me smile because it's so clever. Sometimes both. Either way it makes owning the car FUN.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So for me, the best thing about owning a Lotus is that they have helped me have the feeling of having had a good life.
I totally get this. :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Over 40 years ago I was a teenager forming ideas of what I wanted in life. Some of that what we now call "bucket list" stuff.

Three of these were: have a Europa, visit Hethel, and buy a new Lotus off a showroom floor.

So these things came to pass. And so much more. I'd never planned to drive a car on a track. Now we have 50 track weekends. I installed a supercharger and so much more here in my garage, with the help of this forum. I've put that look in the eyes of passengers that tracking a car can provide :eek:

You said that all so very well. I would just add to it the good friends made through owning the car and participating in car-related activities.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like them because my wife lets me to buy them!! (She wouldn't allow a Ferrari or Lamborghini in the garage)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.