The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I scraped one of the little fins on the front of my Elise to the point where I have to do a little bit of fiberglass repair, which is no big deal, but rather than using touch up paint, I'd like to buy some proper automotive paint which I can airbrush. Is it possible to buy paint that closely matches the factory colors somewhere, or do I have to go to a local body shop and have them blend a batch using one of those fancy paint matching machines?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Touch up paint is good for touching up little nicks and stuff, not for covering up a couple of square inches. It's meant to look good against adjacent clear coated paint, but it doesn't look quite right on a larger area, it's not as shiny.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can get the paint code for your colour (google) and go to you local paint dealer and get a can of the exact colour mixed. Thats what i`m doing right now

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You can get the paint code for your colour (google) and go to you local paint dealer and get a can of the exact colour mixed. Thats what i`m doing right now
Probably a dumb question but what is a "local paint dealer"? I'm sure you don't mean a local Benjamin Moore paint store but please provide more detail. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Probably a dumb question but what is a "local paint dealer"? I'm sure you don't mean a local Benjamin Moore paint store but please provide more detail. Thanks.
Lots of cities/towns have auto paint/auto body retailers that sell professional auto paint, filler, glaze, sprayers, etc, etc. They will typically have access to 99% of all auto manufactures' paint codes and can match them. The one I went to in Rochester, MN, had all of the Lotus codes.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Lots of cities/towns have auto paint/auto body retailers that sell professional auto paint, filler, glaze, sprayers, etc, etc. They will typically have access to 99% of all auto manufactures' paint codes and can match them. The one I went to in Rochester, MN, had all the Lotus codes.
Thanks for the info :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts