The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
11,995 Posts
You can get epoxy compatible CSM that is stitched vs with binders. You can use epoxy still but the binders don't dissolve and appear white.
The higher your fiber to resin ratio is the stronger your product will be. This is one reason pre preg is often used because a stronger lighter weight product can be engineered and produced.
There are three main types of resins with polyester at the bottom in terms of strength and cost and epoxies at the top. There is also vinyl esters which offer the best bang for the buck in many applications.
Here's a really informative link on resins Learning Center - About Resins

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Administrator
11,995 Posts
The fun method I learned about a few years ago is reaction injection molding, but that's specialty above specialty. Basically you mix and cure your resin inside the auger. The risk is obviously that you get a runaway exotherm and cure the resin inside your machine, seizing it up completely. There's research being done on how to control the orientation and distribution of the composite filler material (be it glass or nanoparticles) during the process, since fibrous materials will tend to orient with flow direction - obviously not ideal for isotropy.
Before getting into infusion I first learned about exotherm while anchored out and was joining inner and outer skins on my boat after the balsa core got waterlogged. I had a diamond pattern drilled in the deck and after thoroughly drying, mixed some WEST 105/205 and cabosil. I 3/4 filled each hole at at that age just didn't think about the hot sun and 100 deg temps next thing I knew I had six smokestacks going on deck and the boat was locked. Sure wish I had drank more beer the night before damn near lost the boat lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.