The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know you've got them. Stories of all the dumb and/or funny things that other drivers have done. Maybe they almost killed you, or maybe they weren't quite that stupid, but still pretty bad. Tell them here!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Passed on the shoulder. Sounds like no big deal right?

The OPPOSITE shoulder. Two lane 55mph road. I'm traveling east. He's behind me. He goes to the westbound oncoming lane, passes around cars going westbound - on that shoulder - gets back into to westbound lane Then gets over to the eastbound lane. Probably passed 6 cars in total in one pass attempt

I was flabbergasted. Saw him about 3 miles down the road pulling into a gas station. Middled aged guy in a Cadillac sedan

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was at a car auction bidding on a diesel work van for my brother lost the bid to a very arrogant cocky man. later that day leaving the auction I was driving on the freeway in a torrential rainstorm. my buddy whom I took to the auction with me today said it may be a good idea to slow down which I agreed. just as I begin to ease up off the gas pedal the van which I was bidding on flew past me-passing three cars in the process, I looked over to my buddy and said that guy is going to get in an accident, just as I said that he moved over to pass another car in the fast lane, lost control of the van it rolled four times in the median on the freeway several cars stopped so I didn't feel the need to stop.to this day don't know what happened to him.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One year for my birthday I rented a Saturn Sky and decided to see how far I could go in 2 days. Drove from LA through Whitesands out to Roswell then up to the 40 and back (~1700 miles).
I'm on the I40 between Needles and Barstow and that portion is a divided highway, 2 lanes each direction with a 40' median. Around 3am I'm on this long curve and I see two white lights. At first I thought it's some idiot backing up on the shoulder. As I get closer I realize they are headlights and they're approaching fast. I move from the left to the right lane then onto the shoulder and not 2 seconds later a car goes hauling eastbound in the westbound fast lane. I call CHP and tell them the mile marker where I saw the car and I say "That's where I am, but he's moving pretty fast so he's probably a mile and a half the further east."

CHP called me later that week to follow up and ask me more questions:
Drunk lady had nearly sideswiped cars on the eastbound lanes, drove through the median to the westbound lanes about 5 miles before passing me. She made it another mile or so before smashing headfirst into a semi.

Crazy part is that's the second car I've passed late at night on a california freeway who was going the wrong direction.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Not sure if this counts, but what about when two people discuss what to order at a fast food drive through for 5 minutes, studying and debating the menu as though they are buying a new house.

There is just something about that level of dumb that's impressive in it's own way.

·
Registered
05 Elise BRP sport touring SC
74 Posts
One time I was starting to take my exist off the freeway towards home when a small woman who didn't speak English started to drive down the off ramp headed strait towards me. I slowly came to a stop in front of her trying to signal her to turn around and that she was going the wrong way. Unfortunately I don't think she understood what I was waving about and tried to drive around me three times! So my friend got out of the car on one side and I walked up to her on the other. After 5 minutes, a line of traffic behind us, lots of broken Chinese and hand signals she finally understood.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
My Xterra was backed into by a tractor trailer going the wrong way in a one-way lane in a parking lot.

My 350Z was rear-ended while I was stopped at a red light. The guy says "I saw the light was red, but I didn't think you were going to stop so I didn't stop either."

Those are the only times I've been hit, but I've had a number of close calls in all of my cars, due to people not paying attention to the traffic around them, i.e. morons.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
every day, in los angeles someone does something near me that is insanely stupid. I've lost count on the number of times people try to cut off others by driving in the opposing lane, the number of times folks try to cut in front of big wheelers to enter/exit freeway...

Not to mention all of the red lights that are run. EVERY DAY. Oh and one time a pea brain dude on a motor cycle popped a wheelie in front of me down a quiet street (Lamiert) and nearly lost control when another car zipped past a stop sign making a right in front of the motorcycle.

Oh and one time a guy lost control when he was about to run a red light, saw a cop, slammed on the brakes, skidded into high curb at the corner and his front right wheel broke loose, went flying and bounced off the signal pole and into the intersection.

Just another day in south LA.

·
Registered
392 Posts
every day, in los angeles someone does something near me that is insanely stupid. I've lost count on the number of times people try to cut off others by driving in the opposing lane, the number of times folks try to cut in front of big wheelers to enter/exit freeway...

Not to mention all of the red lights that are run. EVERY DAY. Oh and one time a pea brain dude on a motor cycle popped a wheelie in front of me down a quiet street (Lamiert) and nearly lost control when another car zipped past a stop sign making a right in front of the motorcycle.

Oh and one time a guy lost control when he was about to run a red light, saw a cop, slammed on the brakes, skidded into high curb at the corner and his front right wheel broke loose, went flying and bounced off the signal pole and into the intersection.

Just another day in south LA.

Orange County isn't that much different either. My first evening owning the evora, a motorcyclist also popped a wheelie in front of me, I guess his own way to salute the lotus. Just today on my way to irvine, two cars cut across my lane to get to the other side of the freeway without bother to check their blind spots. Some dude in an xk on the 405 drove down the emergency shoulder through traffic hour.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
972 Posts
Seen a guy make a Left turn on a bike, passed a car and started doing the "weeee, I'm going to swerve around my lane and have some fun bit". Sort of like a race car does to heat the tires, that whole routine. Anyway, about 100 yards down the road I see him swerving and then I just see the bike twirling in the air end over end. I heard the guy died as a result. Guessing he either hit something or swerved too aggressively and just endo'd.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Ferrari 360 tried to race me on the entrance drive to Eurofest. We were surrounded by other show cars at the time. Weird.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Kind of makes the Dodge Caliber that ran the light and T-boned my Suburban see too ordinary.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Not sure if this counts, but what about when two people discuss what to order at a fast food drive through for 5 minutes, studying and debating the menu as though they are buying a new house.

There is just something about that level of dumb that's impressive in it's own way.
I agree! McDonalds is NOT a major shopping experience!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Kind of makes the Dodge Caliber that ran the light and T-boned my Suburban see too ordinary.
I had a Dodge Caliber as a rental. It was brand new and was the biggest POS I've ever driven. I think it's called a Caliber because you know you want to shoot it, you just don't know what caliber of bullet will kill it.

You feeling alright after your accident?

San

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Passed on the shoulder. Sounds like no big deal right?

The OPPOSITE shoulder. Two lane 55mph road. I'm traveling east. He's behind me. He goes to the westbound oncoming lane, passes around cars going westbound - on that shoulder - gets back into to westbound lane Then gets over to the eastbound lane. Probably passed 6 cars in total in one pass attempt

I was flabbergasted. Saw him about 3 miles down the road pulling into a gas station. Middled aged guy in a Cadillac sedan
...but he was WINNING, right?

I had a Dodge Caliber as a rental. It was brand new and was the biggest POS I've ever driven. I think it's called a Caliber because you know you want to shoot it, you just don't know what caliber of bullet will kill it.

You feeling alright after your accident?

San
I assume you've never had the pleasure of having a PT Cruiser rental, then?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
A black NSX pulled up next to me at a red light. Honked at me and made some motion for me to "roll" down my window. Then he asks if I wan to race?

We're on a street in the middle of Boulder, with a stop light every block... I say no not really, and he replies "yeah, I guess I shouldn't, I have a couple of DUI's"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
A black NSX pulled up next to me at a red light. Honked at me and made some motion for me to "roll" down my window. Then he asks if I wan to race?

We're on a street in the middle of Boulder, with a stop light every block... I say no not really, and he replies "yeah, I guess I shouldn't, I have a couple of DUI's"...
Talk about testing people ..:shrug:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Had a guy in an Audi wagon try to race me with his wife and infant in the car. only thing missing was the school zone.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This just happened to today actually, but not the first time. Trying to change lanes to get to my exit and the car next to me is pacing me taking photos or video. I'm pretty polite in these situations, but it's frustrating.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts