The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to go pick up my Elise today and I was told that the 600-1,000 mile *required* maintenance work will be about $300. I was in a hurry when they told me this on the phone, so I was like, "OK..." but I plan on finding out why I have to pay for this when it's something that Lotus requires to keep the car under warranty. I'll report back how much it turns out costing.

Obviously some dealers should not be charging for the service and others providing the service for free (which sounds like is happening).

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Doesn't seem like a big deal to me after spending $50k on a new car, but I remember Chris's bill was $250. After the initial first maintenance, you can service it on your own. Not sure who is allowed and not allowed to perform the first service.

Are you selling your car soon? I remember you posting that you wanted to take delivery quickly, enjoy it for a short bit, and then...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Every new car has required maintenance that must be done at specific intervals in order to maintain your warranty. Lotus is no different.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
Every new car has required maintenance that must be done at specific intervals in order to maintain your warranty. Lotus is no different.
Nobody is saying that you don't have to do maintenance.

It's just that a $300 required for the warranty maintenance is a bit much. The only thing different than on this check up from a regular oil change is that they go over the car to make sure that everything is correct, then pull the ECU data. Since the first checkup is part of the new car purchase (and has been covered by Lotus in the past), it seems a bit expensive to be required.

I can easily change the oil myself, and most likely will do all of my own maintenance, but I'm still required to get this service done at the dealer. It's a bit steep. The argument that it a $50,000 car doesn't hold water either (besides, it's a $40,000 car) - It has a Toyota engine and tranny, and I'm more than willing to bet it doesn't cost $300 for the first after-sales-service from Toyota.

Basically, I will be forced to pay $300 in order to have my warranty. The warranty was supposed to be included in the price of the car, not an after sales addition...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't think anyone is providing this service for free. Reading the diagnostics is apparently free, but I doubt anyone is giving away the rest of the service. There are currently 1 or 2 other threads on this topic.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm guessing what you are paying for is a couple hours of specialized labor (certainly these mechanics cost more than those found at Jiffy-Lube) and the training they received when they flew out to Georgia. In a few years, the cost may be less, but perhaps they are trying to recover their training costs. The benefit of such training is probably higher to those who plan on servicing their car at the dealer later on, rather than someone who will do at home or with their private mechanic. However, the best options seem to be a Lotus authorized mechnaic or doing it yourself. I would not trust a Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you, Tim, for articulating my point better than I could.

I guess I'm just spoiled... at the Audi dealership **that I didn't even buy my car at** everything that is required under the warranty is free...

And I might be keeping the car longer than I originally thought :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Personally I'm more in the camp of those who will pay the bucks without flinching (too hard at least !) because I agree with Vantage that the service level is at a much higher level than a Jiffy Lube, or even a Toyota, Mazda, Honda dealer etc.

IMO it's a relatively small price to pay for the peace of mind of having top-notch service guys inspect and work on the car. Maybe part of this is because I recently visited the service facility of my nearest Lotus dealer, in Costa Mesa, and was really impressed by their facility (more like a lab or an operating room than a "garage" and their mechanics, at least one of whom had been sent to the Birmingham training session and was extremely positive about the Elise).

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
My service was around $246. FYI SurferJer's was free, I suspect you'll see a wide range of price depending on the cars the dealership handles (I'd expect the labor rate at a Chevy/Lotus dealer to be lower than a Lambo/Ferrari/Lotus dealer)

As has been discussed, the ONLY required thing to be done by a Lotus dealer is the data download in the 1000-1500 mile range, all other service can be performed by anyone including your favorite cousin Bubba as long as you can document the service.
Chris;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
TimMullen said:
Nobody is saying that you don't have to do maintenance.

The argument that it a $50,000 car doesn't hold water either (besides, it's a $40,000 car)
I've written the check and have the car parked in my garage. Trust me it's a lot closer to $50k than $40k. If memory serves mine was $49k and change out the door. All $40k will get you is a "thanks for looking" and a "have a nice day"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hmmm... Mine was around $44,000 including the tax and license - but it's still a $40,000 car. The tax and license doesn't add to the value of the car, it just deducts from you wallet.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
TimMullen said:
Hmmm... Mine was around $44,000 including the tax and license - but it's still a $40,000 car. The tax and license doesn't add to the value of the car, it just deducts from you wallet.
Fine so yours is a $40k car. The Boxster starts around $40k but can go as high as $60k plus depending on which boxes you check. In my case it was closer to $50k than $40k even without tax and license. It really comes down to the individual car. I know this, $40k would not have been enough to buy mine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just for fun I was on Carsdirect.com the other day and tried setting up a Boxter S. I was able to exceed $85,000.00 with no problem by selecting options. And I took the packages whenever possible, not the individual options. Amazing list of optional equipment, its like buying a pick up truck. Makes me feel a little better about the $1500 touring pack.

The Proton

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It ended up being $311... like some of you pointed out, it ain't much in the scheme of things, but it also seems like BS to me... do you guys just throw around $300 if someone asks for it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry, I was generalizing... I serviced at 817 miles... I thought it said 600-1000? Anyway, I was anxious to feel the variable valve kick :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
1000 mile service

Here's an image of my 1000 mile service/checkup. Honestly, if Zvezdah hadn't posted the price a few weeks back I would have been 100% surprised when they handed it to me. I would have assumed it was free. What was so cool is I just told them to charge it to his account and they had no problem doing so! (just kidding Chris) I live about 95 miles from my dealer and at around 900 miles I headed out to get the work done. As I pulled into the dealer, I looked at my odometer. What a dork! It turned to 1000 as I turned in. Needless to say, it wasn't cheap but I'm not going to short change anything on this car. It's just so damn rewarding to drive! After driving the car for about 10 days I hopped in my Audi TT yesterday. It was the most odd sensation! The steering wheel felt like that of a bus and everything just felt muted and somewhat disconnected. I know these cars are very different but it really didn't hit me until yesterday.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/4f/23/22_3.JPG

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
m100 Sean said:
Sorry, I was generalizing... I serviced at 817 miles... I thought it said 600-1000? Anyway, I was anxious to feel the variable valve kick :)
You can go into the hi-cam after 600 miles, however not for extended periods. After the 1000 mile service you can use the car's full potential for extended periods.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts