The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read one post that said they will only make it for 2 years? is that true? then what?

where will Lotus go from there?

any indication how sales have been?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
agent orange said:
read one post that said they will only make it for 2 years? is that true? then what?

where will Lotus go from there?

any indication how sales have been?
The exemption for the bumpers and lights only runs through 2006. If I understand correctlym supposedly Lotus is working on a redesign to make the car truly legal in the US. But I've also heard the story that they may try to extend the exemptions. In short, I don't think anyone really knows yet.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It's expected that before a new Elise is unveiled, Lotus will introduce a different sports car, priced higher than the Elise. Exactly what this will be is a little uncertain, but will probably be either an Esprit-like supercar, or a midrange 2+2. The chances of them developing a new Elise concurently with this is pretty slim, given the status of that company and history of model rollouts to date. Thus, they'll most likely apply for an extension to the current waiver on the Elise. Will they get it? Hard to say. The first waiver was based on, I believe, financial hardship - they cited the cost they would incur to make it fully US legal, and compared that to income and current sales. Fair enough. However, will they be able to get an extension of that waiver if their sales of that model have been fantastic and they've been developing a totally different model in the meantime? It doesn't make sense. If they have the money to develop a new model, they could have spent that money on making the Elise US-legal instead (or so some might say).

So, picture this scenario: their request for an extension is denied, the Elise is no longer for sale in the US, and instead Lotus introduces a mid-range car and is still a one-model company in the US. Yes, any company would like to have more than one product for sale in any market. However, it's a pretty well accepted rumor/fact that Lotus is not making much, if any, money on every US Elise. All it's doing is helping to maintain and build their image. Why continue selling it if they can instead sell a PROFITABLE model here? So, I don't expect the current generation of Elise to be sold in the US very long at all - just long enough to build the brand and cover them until a new model is introduced. There may then end up being a one or two year gap before the next generation Elise makes it here.

This is all my speculation and guess, I have no inside contacts at Lotus (alas).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i asked my salesguy at svag wut would happen if all 6000 elises were made and I was still on the list. He said that the list carrys over to the next model, one with bumpers, etc. He also said that it was going to use the same 2ZZ engine...

·
Registered
66 Posts
6000?? Lotus has the exemption through the 2006 model year. right now we are seeing 2005's so at 2200 / year you would be talking about 4400 Elise's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts