The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vauxhall VX220, based on the Elise, has been in production for several years, and is credited for assisting Lotus in improving their production quality & consistency and also providing critical funding to Lotus from the partnership with GM on the project.

HOWEVER- it was my impression from conversations with Lotus staff at the LA auto show that the VX220 was sliding into twilight, and would be going away. (GM will ostensibly be changing direction towards other projects like the tamer Solstice platform, etc.) The lifespan of the VX220 has a definite impact on the production capacity of the Elise/Exige variants, since the chassis are constructed on parallel assembly lines, and I had been led to believe that the fading away of the VX220 was one of the things freeing up the capacity that will be used to build the Federal Elise.

But...

Watching a recent episode of Auto Motor und Sport on PBS (thank you, Tivo!) I caught a segment about the "Shark", which is a German customized version of the VX220 (which, as noted, is a variation of the Elise) Production is planned at approximately 50 units/year, which isn't much, but it got me thinking- how can they base this on the VX220 if the VX220 is going away? So a little more digging was in order. From what I can tell, I was surprised to observe that the VX220 is still available in Europe as a 2004 model, so either it isn't out of production yet, or there are significant stocks of them in the pipeline.

Does anybody know what the deal is?

Curious,

-Knute

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
My understanding is that the Vauxhall is in it's final year of production. It may even be wrapping up it's last couple of months. The Fed car will be built on that line and I believe that the VX 220 was only envisioned as a short term "image" car for GM in Europe. I think it's a gonner.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is supposed to be replaced by the VX Lightning, a Pontiac Solstice sibling. I imagine that there will be an Opel variant also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmmm....

Thanks for the replies- that makes sense.

There seems to be a gap in the lineage, though, since the Solstice isn't scheduled to debut until the 2006 model year, which is over a year away even if they release it early in 2005.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens! (I have to admit I'm getting tired of waiting, though- the next six months or so until #38 comes up are going to go sssllllooowww; ugh!)

:D

-Knute

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lumn8r said:
It is supposed to be replaced by the VX Lightning, a Pontiac Solstice sibling. I imagine that there will be an Opel variant also.
GM have been doing what they are best at - flapping around hopelessly with the decision. Chances are they will be flapping when the VX220 stops production, and they'll just let the new car drop.

Craigy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts