The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this been posted?

Is it as horrible as a set of R-compounds? ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well, I believe they are R compounds. I did some searching the other day, and came to the conclusion that the A048 is in the same line as the A032. So it should be a relatively long lasting R compound. The A032R is listed with a 60 treadwear rating.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
There not going to last long even if your gentle with them, rears generally less then half of the fronts.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Light cars are a lot easier on tires (assuming alignment is correct). I used to routinely get 2-3X longer tire life out of R compound tires driving the same number of events as 2500-3200 lbs cars.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A lot of the guys in the UK run their 7s on Avon ACB-10s which have a tread wear rating of, and I am getting this off my set of ACB-10s, 20! They report 3 - 5000 miles, it all depends on how you drive and the weight of the car. The obvious answer is a set of daily road wheels with tires that have a tread wear rating of 100+ and your fun tires. I have three sets of wheels for my Seven, ACB-10s for dry track, Avon CR-500 for damp track and autocross, again tread wear rating of 20. And Avon ZV1s with a tread wear of 300, for the street.
I for one wish the Yokos on the Elise were a little sticker!!

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
60 isn't terribly bad ... the RA-1's that i use are ... if i remember right .... 40. And I get quite a bit of roadcourse mileage out of one set.

60 won't be too bad on the street. After that, I'll buy another set of RA-1's, and leave 'em at full tread depth. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I also use RA1s for street tires and expect the LSS tires to be about the same.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Speaking of extra wheels/tires...

I've been wondering if anyone knows if an Elise can be ordered with an extra set of wheels and how much it would be? Are people who are planning on having extra wheels planning on using Lotus supplied wheels or some aftermarket wheels?

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Randy Chase said:
I also use RA1s for street tires and expect the LSS tires to be about the same.
unshaved, i'm assuming?

what are your experiences with 'em as a daily tire?

How many miles are you getting on them?

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nochmal said:
Speaking of extra wheels/tires...

I've been wondering if anyone knows if an Elise can be ordered with an extra set of wheels and how much it would be? Are people who are planning on having extra wheels planning on using Lotus supplied wheels or some aftermarket wheels?
I'd assume that Lotus-purchased wheels would be pretty pricey... If I were thinking about a 2nd set of wheels, i'd look into something from HRE or Fikse or something.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
ace3 said:
unshaved, i'm assuming?

what are your experiences with 'em as a daily tire?

How many miles are you getting on them?
For street tires I get them unshaved. FedEx showed up an hour ago with another RA1! The delivery people always seem amused I get tires delivered to my house.

I think I get about 10,000 miles on a set of RA1s. But they are sticky miles. I love the confidence I have with these tires. When they get too much wear on one edge (from camber or toe settings), I flip them.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Regarding an extra set of rims.. I am not sure. I don't want to order them as parts from Lotus. The cost of the Elise will be high enough. :eek:

I am choosing to ignore the issue for now. When the car gets here, I will investigate aftermarket rims... but I am mainly hoping someone else that buys an Elise will take off the stock rims and replace them. Then I can get them from that person. I hope.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Randy Chase said:
For street tires I get them unshaved. FedEx showed up an hour ago with another RA1! The delivery people always seem amused I get tires delivered to my house.

I think I get about 10,000 miles on a set of RA1s. But they are sticky miles. I love the confidence I have with these tires. When they get too much wear on one edge (from camber or toe settings), I flip them.

NICE. I used to LOVE driving home from the track with my R's still mounted. i'd go home & drop my other tires off, then head out through the streets to have a little fun. :D

What do you mean by "sticky miles"?

I can handle 10k on a set of tires, no problem.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Miles with a lot of grip. IMO, grip is more important than treadlife for safety reasons. And I enjoy the freeway cloverleafs. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Regarding an extra set of rims.. I am not sure. I don't want to order them as parts from Lotus. The cost of the Elise will be high enough. :eek:

I am choosing to ignore the issue for now. When the car gets here, I will investigate aftermarket rims... but I am mainly hoping someone else that buys an Elise will take off the stock rims and replace them. Then I can get them from that person. I hope.
That's what I did with the Spyder and it worked out. The only sticking point with the Elise might be its limited numbers. Time to go surf some Euro Elise boards and see what they do for extra wheels...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts