The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've been bitten by the Lotus bug and doing some internet browsing on Elises and Evoras. This unit in Houston jumped out at me:

2018 Lotus Evora 400

Any hunch as to what a fair price on a "new" 2018 Evora 400 is? Any insight is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
As its not a fully loaded bird like some of the last 2018's made, I'd shoot for 75K.

Reactions: troyus

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
How much warranty is left will also influence the value. Depending some variables with paperwork, some of those "new" cars' warranty already started counting down, so whether or not you've lost 2 years of warranty matters. Something to ask the dealer. The ad says "still under the factory warranty", wording that to me implies the countdown has already begun.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
384 Posts
I looked at that exact car, spoke to the dealer about it, etc. Was told at the time that they had just received an out-of-state deposit on it. If it's still available that deal must have fallen through or they were lying to me (although in that latter case, I'd have expected the usual call back to chase me like several other Evoras, which never occurred in this case).

cyow5's comment about the warranty is extremely important. For some reason the warranties often start on these vehicles when they hit the dealer's lot, and NOT when the vehicle experiences its first retail sale. No one has been able to adequately explain that, but I saw it time after time during our search for an Evora. It's almost like Lotus USA considers the transfer to the dealer as the "first sale" so the warranty clock starts ticking. In any case, get solid documentation about the warranty before proceeding. I can't remember if I researched the warranty on that car but I've since deleted all of my data on it since I was told it had been committed to another buyer.

Regarding price: I know of a couple of 2018's that sold during our search for the low to mid $70's, both with extremely low mileage (and one with a full two years of factory warranty remaining). I'd probably start around $70K and not exceed $72K. Frankly I'd like to start in the high $60K's but I suspect the emotional threshold of that leading "7" will play a big factor so you may not be treated seriously if you start lower than $70K.

For reference, we were offered a low-mileage 2017 in astonishingly perfect condition, with lots of extras, for $65K. I'm told there is very little difference between 2017's and 2018's in terms of manufacturing, so only you can decide how much that extra model year is worth.

Good luck and report back!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
It's almost like Lotus USA considers the transfer to the dealer as the "first sale" so the warranty clock starts ticking.
It had to do with dealer incentives IIRC. There's a few threads here that speak to punched warranties on never-before-sold vehicles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have never heard of warranty clock starting when dealer acquires vehicle. "In service date" is always when customer purchases it, hence vehicle is "in service."

·
Registered
2018 GT3 (Chalk) / 2020 Macan GTS (Black); 2017 Evora (Daytona Blue- sold)
19 Posts
What agentdr8 said...dealer punches warranty 12-18 months ago to qualify for substantial manufacturer incentives- this happens not infrequently with slower selling vehicles-

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Basically, you need 6 months of warranty so you have time to straighten out the little stuff.. Once past that, except for the rogue MC issue, they just run. I'm on my 3rd Evora and also had an Elise, so the experience has obviously been good.

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are local to houston. Im entertaining the idea of letting go of my low millage evora 17 with about 13
months of warranty left. Comes with grp decat, grp front lip, grp intake, komotech 430 tune. Pm if interested n we can discuss pricing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have never heard of warranty clock starting when dealer acquires vehicle. "In service date" is always when customer purchases it, hence vehicle is "in service."
There was a $15k manufacturer’s incentive that had an expiration date. This happened twice, I think. Dealers didn’t want to lose the incentive because they had a hard enough time selling the cars for $15k less. So they essentially “bought” the car, punched the warranty, took the incentive from Lotus and offered the car for a lower than MSRP price that accounted for the 15K incentive.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
384 Posts
So they essentially “bought” the car, punched the warranty, took the incentive from Lotus and offered the car for a lower than MSRP price that accounted for the 15K incentive.
THANK YOU! Finally a coherent explanation that fits all of the known facts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the insight. I’ve spoken with the dealership. The car has 30 miles and the warranty hasn’t started. They won’t go below $82K.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ridiculous. Good luck to them selling it.

Dealers are clueless sometimes. During our search I found a 2018 in British Racing Green - probably my absolute favorite color for a Lotus. That was the good news. The slightly less good news was it had nearly 9000 miles on it. But I could have lived with that, except that the car had absolutely no service history of any kind. Nothing in the Lotus service database, no paperwork, no CarFax, zippo. Not even a record of it getting the mandatory 1000 mile engine break-in service. It was as if it had dropped out of the sky from nowhere after 9000 miles. Yet they insisted it was worth $88K (!!!) and would not entertain a penny less. A week or so after I walked away, they started emailing me. When I didn't respond to email, they started calling and leaving voicemails. Far as I know they still have the car on the lot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks all for the insight. I’ve spoken with the dealership. The car has 30 miles and the warranty hasn’t started. They won’t go below $82K.
That's good. I called today also to the Houston dealer. They were asking $86K. The longer the 2018 car sits they could accept a mid $70 offer in a month or two. The car has been sitting there for two years now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
$82K is not a bad price for a brand new Evora 400. In fact, its a borderline good deal. There's always value attached to being the first owner of a car and breaking it in yourself. Could you get an Evora 400 for the low 70s? Sure. But they will NOT be brand new cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
$82K is quite reasonable assuming this is your desired spec... can’t compare
pricing now to late 2019 as there are very few new ‘18s left, while the ‘20s are still $100K+ for the most part. Also, a used / previously titled ‘18 with XXXX miles for $70K is not a valid basis for concluding that a new ‘18 with < 50 miles and full warranty should only be $75K. Look at Porsche- 911 and Cayman GTS demos with 2-3K miles are discounted at least $10-15K compared to a new one.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
There will be few new 17-18s at this point. I'm not saying a patient person couldn't find one and maybe a better deal at some future date but then again, you may find the next dealer is just as focused on getting a fair price and not loosing money on the deal. This is a decent price for a new unregistered car, especially an '18, so how long do you want to wait before joining the cool kids?

This car has everything I'd need to enjoy a 400 because the black pack is not a requirement in my view and the rest is a matter of taste. That is, color , painted calipers, etc. I consider a full leather interior, forged wheels and a manual, all of which this car has, to be the key features I'd want. If the color suits you, it's fair at $82K and if it makes you feel better, it's less than I and many others paid for new '17s.

Dealers aren't the only cheapskates in the world. Buyers can be just as brutal and unrealistic. For most luxury car buyers, the price paid is mostly about bragging rights and feeling good for a brief moment but has very little to do with how much actual enjoyment the car provides. More important is to get a car you love and can live with unless you're just horse trading. If red's your color, this is among the few new ones you will find, maybe the only one exactly like it. In fact new 17s and 18s are rare in any color or spec.

You'd be safe enough with this car at this price to feel fine about the deal unless the color doesn't suit you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Assuming the red ‘18 is your spec, $82K is affordable and you intend to keep it for awhile- it is more than reasonable. There isnt anything else that competes in the price range. Given how few new ‘18’s are available + considerable discounts- buy it, drive it, and enjoy it. Assuming you love the Evora, you will never think about whether you could have maybe saved $2-3K based on what people say on this forum. You can always wait another 6-12 months in hopes of chasing an unobtainable target price but to what end?

I bought a Daytona Blue ‘17 Evora 400 from Brian at Gator Motorsport in April 2017 for full MSRP (granted he gave me a very generous trade in on a ‘05 Elise) and had no regrets. Drove it for 2 yrs and 10K miles...multiple track days...loved every minute of it. Could have waited until winter or whenever to save some $ but frankly dont have time to be looking / calling / negotiating for “the one” for months on end. On one hand, the Evora’s are slow-selling but there are few of them so when your preferred spec comes up....

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
There will be few new 17-18s at this point. I'm not saying a patient person couldn't find one and maybe a better deal at some future date but then again, you may find the next dealer is just as focused on getting a fair price and not loosing money on the deal. This is a decent price for a new unregistered car, especially an '18, so how long do you want to wait before joining the cool kids?

This car has everything I'd need to enjoy a 400 because the black pack is not a requirement in my view and the rest is a matter of taste. That is, color , painted calipers, etc. I consider a full leather interior, forged wheels and a manual, all of which this car has, .
This car does not have full leather or forged wheels, mine has same interior and I'm happy with it and can upgrade to forged which I did. Does have the upgraded radio that has car play though. Since warranty has not been started yet it would be a decent deal at $80k

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
This car does not have full leather or forged wheels, mine has same interior and I'm happy with it and can upgrade to forged which I did. Does have the upgraded radio that has car play though. Since warranty has not been started yet it would be a decent deal at $80k
I took a second look at the photos and you're right, it has the standard interior. The wheels look like the forged pattern to me but I'll take your word for it that they are not. That being so, I'd have to agree that a price of 80K or under is more appropriate since lacking the leather and wheels makes this car a bit less desirable. Still drives the same but replacing the wheels would be much more expensive than having just checked the option box. Are you sure about the wheels? I know you're ok with the color!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts