The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out underneat the front of my car to see where water could be getting into the drivers side footwell and I spotted this little tube coming out of the passenger side. Looks like a drain for the heater/ac unit, but does anyone know what it's for?

Also, is the flat vertical section behind the suspension directly infront of the footwells?

Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I noticed 2 black rubber tubes (not articulated like yours) on both sides of the car in around the same location as the one pictured in your thread. I always figured it was the drains for the engine lid.

I once owned a miata and the frame filled with water causing a big sloshing sound when ever I hit the brakes or accelerated. Turns out the drain tubes from where the softop met the body were plugged with a build up of leaves and other debris. Once I cleaned it out the problem went away. Maybe you have a similar problem with your Liz.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
buzzy said:
I spotted this little tube coming out of the passenger side. Looks like a drain for the heater/ac unit,
That's because that's what it is. The corrugated tube (looks like the kind that wiring goes into) is the AC drain.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just realized the picture of your tube is at the front of the car. The tubes I spoke of are in the rear, probably drains for the boot lid.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll answer my own question. This tube connects to the AC unit, and goes through the arch in the plastic piece nearest the cabin.
I had pulled this out when replacing my resistor pack, and was able to put it back in with a helper, my iPhone (to check position under the A-arm pivot), and a long flexible grabber.

To replace tube:
1) With AC unit removed, push the end of the tube without rubber coupler through the arch, you will feel it hit the back of the extrusion to which the A-arm pivot connects. At this point, push the tube toward the passenger side.
2) Check that the tube is underneath the A-arm pivot, if yes proceed. If not, pull it back through the arch, and try again.
3) Have a helper hold the tube, so you don't pull it through the arch. Use a grabber to grab the end of the tube, and pull it into position.
4) Temporarily tape the tube in place near the A-arm pivot, to avoid pulling it back out.
5) With AC unit partially in place, connect tube to the bottom of the AC unit. There is a hole where it attaches, and a rubber plug on the other side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts