Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug:

To the moderator who is censoring legitimate responses in another thread, please help us understand.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
They moved the thread into the dealer and aftermarket supplier reviews section, where no one can post. As a sponsor posting about another sponsor's practices I would suggest that you ask the forum owners to overrule this decision as you did not post the thread as a supplier review or request that it be treated as such. One would hate to come to the conclusion that this site or it's admins is attempting to conspire to allow one paying sponsor to perpetrate fraud against another.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
hmm... explains why my post was not posted.... and it does smell kinda stinky!

·
Registered
350 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
/canadian
//doubt those in power in the t-dot are observing, let alone give a $hit
///i am disapoint, son

·
Registered
277 Posts
Vendors starting fights with each other makes the whole site look bad. If you have a problem with another vendor, PM him or an admin. If it's over product infringement, then sue him if possible but a vendor bashing another vendor looks unprofessional IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I suspect (but do not know) Thomasio does not have a patent to enforce. Often, in low production beautique markets, specialized products are designed and manufactured. The only thing which keeps other people from producing the same items is setup and tooling costs to make the same product (with limited profits for a relatively small amount of sales to offset initial production costs). Of the (roughly 9kish, perhaps less) cars in the US, only some will choose to purchase a supercharger, only a fraction of those will feel the need to have a rapid-change pulley solution for their cars. In this circumstance, Thomasio must recover his non-recurring engineering costs, tooling and setup costs, plus existing inventory costs with a potentially shared market; which likely skews his initial profit model for his efforts.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I suspect (but do not know) Thomasio does not have a patent to enforce. Often, in low production beautique markets, specialized products are designed and manufactured. The only thing which keeps other people from producing the same items is setup and tooling costs to make the same product (with limited profits for a relatively small amount of sales to offset initial production costs). Of the (roughly 9kish, perhaps less) cars in the US, only some will choose to purchase a supercharger, only a fraction of those will feel the need to have a rapid-change pulley solution for their cars. In this circumstance, Thomasio must recover his non-recurring engineering costs, tooling and setup costs, plus existing inventory costs with a potentially shared market; which likely skews his initial profit model for his efforts.
Right-O, and also vendors have to suffer the wrath of the internets if they blatently copy things, so that is a deterent.

I also suspect that most aftermarket vendors don't produce anything Novel enough that IP would be available. As a complete hypothetical, something like a pulley, which is basically a wheel, is pretty much the first mechanical item ever invented.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They moved the thread into the dealer and aftermarket supplier reviews section, where no one can post. As a sponsor posting about another sponsor's practices I would suggest that you ask the forum owners to overrule this decision as you did not post the thread as a supplier review or request that it be treated as such. One would hate to come to the conclusion that this site or it's admins is attempting to conspire to allow one paying sponsor to perpetrate fraud against another.
Well said... Notice they let people go after noxxx for the whole clam hinge thing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The best part is that Shinoo sent the actual RLS pulley over and asked the CNC Lathe company to copy it.

Shinoo and Sector111: The leader in Lotus Engineering.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Just tried to post in the thread-- says it needs to be approved by a moderator. I wonder what will happen :rolleyes:

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
what's the definition of copying? what if shinoo sends in the pulley and try to make it with different material? HKFEVER takes all the original lotus parts and turn them into carbon fiber without modifying it, does that mean he is copying as well? don't take it personally, I'm just saying in the automotive industry, everyone copies each other and there's no right or wrong. and Ali, I'm sorry that it happened :(

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I believe we have a bit of a double edge sword at lotustalk with vendors. Many of the vendors participate on the boards and have alot of useful input for discussion.

However, this makes the vendors people and not buisnesses. I will happily be critical of buisness practices....not so much with people. It is really hard to be openly critical of parts and buisnesses on lotustalk. The result is loss of forum utility for users.

For instance say you want to have a discussion comparing dynos from various manufactures...........cant realy do it civily.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
what's the definition of copying? what if shinoo sends in the pulley and try to make it with different material? HKFEVER takes all the original lotus parts and turn them into carbon fiber without modifying it, does that mean he is copying as well? don't take it personally, I'm just saying in the automotive industry, everyone copies each other and there's no right or wrong. and Ali, I'm sorry that it happened :(
It a freaking pulley, It is defined by about 4 features. If I was designing one, the main challenge would be trying to make it look different than the competitors.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hmm I remember a bunch of people posting in it that had nothing to do with the situation. I haven't checked that thread in a while but it's probably a victim of censorship since then.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
This thread is the result of a misunderstanding about how another thread between two vendors was handled. A new discussion about board policies, disconnected from the current situation, would be more appropriate.

The thread was moved to an area that would allow the two vendors in question to have a public discussion without supporters rallying one side or another. That is as fair as we can make things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.