The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob owner here.

Do you have to bend the crap out of the oil dipstick to remove it? It's in a very awkward place. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Noob owner here.

Do you have to bend the crap out of the oil dipstick to remove it? It's in a very awkward place. :shrug:
:tadts:

I keep one hand at the opening to the dipstick tube while I remove it. About halfway out I grab onto it and keep it bent so it doesn't whip up and hit something. Reassembly is the reverse of removal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
think with your dipstick jimmy!!!

Yeah, it is in kind of an awkward spot and you do have to bend it quite a bit... seems a little easier to access while standing on the passender side of the car rather then directly behind it. I think here was a guy that relocated his during a supercharger install, and actually made it easier to access... so maybe you should get a supercharger :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh... ok. i was just being overly cautious and didn't want to break anything.

anyone running amsoil? thats what i generally put in all my cars (i know, this is a whole different topic all together)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
ahhh... ok. i was just being overly cautious and didn't want to break anything.

anyone running amsoil? thats what i generally put in all my cars (i know, this is a whole different topic all together)
There have been a lot of threads on this. My current favorite is Rotella T full synthetic in 5W-40.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Noob owner here.

Welcome to our world ! :D

Noone said owning a Lotus would be easy rotfl

It's very flexible as long as it's being bent along the flat side, it's just awkward but compared to trying to get at some of the other areas of the car, it's a piece of cake.

BTW, TADTS means "they all do that, sir". :tadts:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I don't like the way the oil itself reads on the dipstick, sometimes I have to put it in and pull it out several times just to get an accurate reading.

Wait, that sounded bad, I mean good, oh nevermind...lol.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Never had much problem with it, myself. Be grateful we have one as opposed to some stupid electronic level sensor that'll only let you check the level after the engine's been shut off for an hour. -poke-

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Dipsticks are heavy. Doesn't anyone make a lightweight replacement cap? Put the dipstick in the tool box where it belongs.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I don't like the way the oil itself reads on the dipstick, sometimes I have to put it in and pull it out several times just to get an accurate reading.

Wait, that sounded bad, I mean good, oh nevermind...lol.
Don't change it very often and it will be a lot easier to read.
I'd still put it in and out repeatedly though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Haha. I've become paranoid about my oil with this car, even with fully synthetic oil I'm opposed to changing it past 5K miles. It also bothered me that when I changed it last Wednesday, the oil looked good on the stick, but terrible in the drain pan, even though it was only 3,000 miles old.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Noob owner here.

If you had the most awesome tilting clam kit then checking the oil would never be an issue. Also makes it easy to change belt, topping off other fluids and other bits. Tilting Clam kit solves all problems...see Turbophil.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So........people here are ok with owning a car in which you need to be a yoga master to get in and out of each time you drive it, but have a problem with having to slightly bend over the engine compartment a few times a year to check the oil?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So........people here are ok with owning a car in which you need to be a yoga master to get in and out of each time you drive it, but have a problem with having to slightly bend over the engine compartment a few times a year to check the oil?

i dont think anyone here is really complaining. they're just helping me out with a question i had.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I just use my other hand to help guide and push the flexible dipstick back in position.

I like to get an accurate reading from the dipstick using a lint-less paper towel like bounty to get a reading from the dipstick. Its real easy to see just where the oil level is when you use the paper towel to first wipe the dipstick clean, insert back in, pull out and place against a clean part of the paper towel you'll easily see the oil smudge and level. YMMV.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just use my other hand to help guide and push the flexible dipstick back in position.

I like to get an accurate reading from the dipstick using a lint-less paper towel like bounty to get a reading from the dipstick. Its real easy to see just where the oil level is when you use the paper towel to first wipe the dipstick clean, insert back in, pull out and place against a clean part of the paper towel you'll easily see the oil smudge and level. YMMV.
+1, thats what i do.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yup, I tinker with my Elise constantly. My wife and friends call it my car to 'dink' with. And if you knew Phil and how he thinks of our cars you would enjoy playing with your Elise even more too and my belly rubs the side of the clam because I weigh 378 pounds, 5'6", and have short arms with a really large head. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts