The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lying to you. Please forgive me. This is honest time.
I love driving and showing off my Lotus in front of the public.
I feel great driving this spectacular sports car. That's one of the reasons I bought it! I do really enjoy the awesome handling, the acceleration and the thrill I get driving on the twisty back roads and the track. But I also enjoy the looks of the car. I also enjoy the public reaction too.

I guess I'm a bit of an extravert, and I like the feel of "Look at me, I'm driving a Lotus"! I also want to share the "Lotus Experience" with others. That's why I set up the group drives so that Lotus owners can get even more fun out of their cars. Lotus cars are special. Colin Chapman's dreams of lightness, handling and speed live in every Lotus owner's/driver's eyes. We know that there is something deeper past the Lotus beautiful fiberglass skin. We know it.

Of course there are drawbacks of driving any exciting sports car in public. Everyone on this Forum knows the problems (the "haters", the envy that becomes jealousy that becomes hate, encountering extremely poor drivers on the road, parking lots, vandalism etc.) These disadvantges sometime keeps Lotus owners to avoid the public. Some Lotus owners enjoy the excitement and thrill and on the track, only. They relish the engineering and the technical aspect of owning this car. Modifications. Improving the performance. A GREAT part of the Lotus experience.:up:

But for me, I also enjoy the entire good experience. That includes showing that "Look at me, I'm driving a Lotus". Does that make me a "POSER"?:crazyeyes
In that way...YES! Is that part of you too?

Be honest?:D

--Hal

PS; Although I enjoy "exposing" my Elise in public, I don't place my Elise in jeaopardy. I avoid the bad parking issues, traffic, etc. I like parking my Lotus in a perfect parking spot so I can watch the car while I eat dinner at a restaurant. Watching the reactions of people are priceless! :D

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i feel the same

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'm a social person so I don't mind the attention. Just came back from the grocery store and talked an older gentleman about 10 minutes in the parking lot about it. Answered all his questions, and he was one of the few that actually "got it" At the end he still asked how much it cost though. lol.

(yes, it's my grocery getter. Fine for a single guy. $60 worth of yogurt, juice, vegetables, fruit, etc fits just fine on the front seat)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I guess im just kind of odd. I like to show off but at the same time I dont like to talk to anyone. I definately like the attention but I will be the first to play like I dont see someone trying to get me to roll my window down. As you said, some situations will just put me in a defensive mood. I had a person follow me about 20 miles until I pull into a gas station. He followed me in and waited for me to get out. When he asked me a question and I asked him in a not so nice tone how long he had been following me. The guy just got back in his car and left. I dont mind answering questions about the car if im not doing anything. But there is definately a comfort level that you shouldnt cross with me.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You should be kinder. They just want to ask some questions. Why do you have to ruin their day instead of making it? :shrug:
"Following" me for literally 20 miles is crossing the line. I dont care what anyone says. And he admitted that he just followed me until I stopped. It may be OK with you but that is going waaaaaay beyond what is necessary. And I dont do I because I think my car is better than anyone elses either. It just simply crosses the line.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, I sometimes get tired of all the attention it brings, it's almost caused a few accidents in traffic (drivers staring so hard at the Elise, they're not paying attention to what's in front of them--slam on brakes) And yeah, everywhere I go I get asked questions by those interested, and dirty looks from those who are 'haters', (and of course there's that vandalism thing a few weeks back) but overall I enjoy the experience of owning a Lotus.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I think it is really fun when I am stuck in traffic around Beverly Hills and am right next to a Ferrari and people take pictures of my car with their cell phones ! This has actually happened a few times ! I am right next or in front of a $200,000 super car and somebody starts talking to me at a light or snaps a picture and I see the scowl on the super car driver's face- priceless ! They probably know that an Elise only costs 50K and are uber pissed that it is showing up their $$$$ Lambo or F car( then again they are a dime a dozen in my area, most people don't even look at them, I see three times as many Astons, Ferraris , Lambos than I do Lotus ) One night I was next to or behind a cream colored Veyron at several lights on Olympic Blvd and I noticed a lady with kids in a BMW, they kept looking out the windows back at my car, when the Veyron was right in front of them !

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
I'm still a newbie, but so far, I've loved every minute of the attention and answering questions. I can't wait to get to some gatherings/fun runs/car shows and whatnot!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't mind it long as the person isnt trying to go 60mph to 0 just to figure out what kind of car it is

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I love showing it off too- Even at the track, where most people are somewhat familiar with the car, it's a hit-

I makes me uncomfortable when people ask how much it is, and 99% of the time that's the last question...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm still wondering if it will change as time goes on. Currently we have the benefit that the Elise is still (in the states) rarer and less well known than most of the more expensive exotics. Even when another car is rarer, they're still better known and generate less excitement. People might not have seen a Ferrari in person before, but you know they've grown up seeing thousands of them on TV and in movies. An Elise? Well chances are that's something new to them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Love taking the car out and I don't mind the attention, but not activitly seeking for it either.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Hey, us introverts here cringe at such a thought. :) I mean...:eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I kind of enjoy reaction, but then when it actually happens, it makes me uncomfortable. I thank people for compliments and try to answer all questions, but it makes me feel egotistical which I am not.
good call. Same with my 03 cobra. I really only get noticed by people who know what they are lookign at, otherwise they think its just a mustang. I like when it is noticed, but I agree that the attention tends to make me feel a little uncomfortable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The uniqueness of the car is one of its primary selling points to me. Down here in suburbia So Cal every day you see a fair share of M3s, Porsches, 350z/G35s, Audi TTs, Corvettes, etc etc and even the occasional Ferrari, Lambo, or Viper, but ive only ever seen 1 Elise, and thats part of my draw to the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was driving the other day saw a Corvette that I really liked the looks of. When I exited the driver did the same just to ask me what kind of car I was driving. I thought that was kind of cool. I think I would only have an issue if someone was following me home vs. somewhere public. Of course if I thought someone was following me just to talk, I would likely find a gas station or somewhere to pull off to. It's a fun car and I'm more than happy to take some time for those who think it is as neat as I do.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts