The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my car today and noticed that there's a pin with a loose collar around it sticking out of my left rear caliper. The same spot on the right rear caliper has a hole that may have the pin stuck in it.

I had brake work done about 3 months ago (pads, rotors, fluid), did they not finish the job? What the hell is that thing, is it dangerous that it's sticking out like that? Not very easy for me to take it to a dealer, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It's a bit hard to see from your photos, but it looks like your retaining pin is working it's way out... check to see that the anti-rattle spring is in place and the pin goes through both pads, and use a pin punch (or equiv) to pop the pin back into it's proper position:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Its not supposed to come out when driving (no sh!t) but its EZ not to get it back in all the way when working on it.

You may need to take the wheel off to get it to line up with the hole on the other side its supposed to go in to. Once lined up a firm push will get it in, and then a light tap will set it in. Don’t wale on it. The anti-rattle spring may get in the way.

Perfect pic apk919

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Can I tap it in lightly with a hammer, or will that break something?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks! Can I tap it in lightly with a hammer, or will that break something?
Lightly would be fine, but you really need something like a punch to make sure the pin is locked in place... if you're gentle, you can use a small screwdriver as a substitute for a punch.

This is what it should look like when it's firmly locked in place:

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
If it doesn't go in easily while tapping, take the road wheel off and align other end of pin. The other end is much smaller so it needs to go in straight. The anti rattle spring puts force on it

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I got it mostly in using the hammer to tap it flush and the flat end of a nail to get it in the rest of the way. It's not in as deeply as the one on the other side, so I don't know if that means it's going to pop out again. If I can find something that fits the hole to get it all the way in, I will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do you take the retaining pin out if replacing the brake pads on the rear? I've loosened the anti-rattle spring, tried to push the small pin in the rear and using needlenose pliers, tried to push the retaining pin out the front.

It's in there and while I'm glad mine has never worked it's way out, I can't get it out no matter what.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
753 Posts
How do you take the retaining pin out if replacing the brake pads on the rear? I've loosened the anti-rattle spring, tried to push the small pin in the rear and using needlenose pliers, tried to push the retaining pin out the front.

It's in there and while I'm glad mine has never worked it's way out, I can't get it out no matter what.

Any ideas?
You use a small punch and hammer on the backside hole to tap it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is an image of the pin so you can see the small end. The hard part of installing them is to align the hole in the spring with the hole in the casting.

The most important thing that keeps the pin in place is the friction of the split ball end. I have rebuilt >150 of these calipers and have not seen a "groove" for the ball to snap in to.

Images

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.