The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that I can't "top off" the tanks on any of my cars anymore. The pumps stop at around 80%-85% full now. (It used to click off when the tank was completely full.)

I know that all stations had to install new vapor recovery nozzles by this month. Would that affect the ability to fill your tank?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I have found that by not inserting the nozzle all the way in and not using the fastest flow position, I was able to fill my tank up more.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I haven't noticed this, but I don't think I've gotten gas in a month or two. Probably tomorrow as I'm planning a trip up north.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I know that all stations had to install new vapor recovery nozzles by this month. Would that affect the ability to fill your tank?
I've read that only half of the stations out there have complied, and that due to lots of holdups by manufacturers, defective machinery, equipment shortages, and high costs, the gas station owners are asking to push it back another year. (even tho they've known about it for years)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I was beginning to think something was wrong with my car. I can fill it to half without a problem. Afterwards, I can pump maybe 2/10ths of a gallon and it will shut off. I have to keep squeezing the pump every 4 or 5 seconds and it's fairly annoying.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was beginning to think something was wrong with my car. I can fill it to half without a problem. Afterwards, I can pump maybe 2/10ths of a gallon and it will shut off. I have to keep squeezing the pump every 4 or 5 seconds and it's fairly annoying.
Exactly. It's a complete pain in the a$$ having to stand there constantly clicking the handle until the car is full.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I thought something was wrong my car too. Exact same problem. It has been driving me nuts. At least now I know it is not my car. My Lotus is much worse about it than my VW.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I thought something was wrong my car too. Exact same problem. It has been driving me nuts. At least now I know it is not my car. My Lotus is much worse about it than my VW.
My girlfriend's Lexus has not had a problem whatsoever which is why I was believing it was my car as well.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup.

My Range Rover fills to about 80%, whereas the Lotuses fill to just over half a tank before shutting off.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
filling you tank up all the way causes cancer in california so they banned it :p

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have not had any problems with my DD cars or any of the dozens of press cars I've driven :shrug:

Can't speak to the Caterham as it has a fuel cell in it and I never fill it up anyway, it's extra weight

·
Registered
42 Posts
I occasionally have the issue with my Lotus only filling half way with the newer nozzles. I've also used the slow fill technique but when that doesn't work I've found that turning the nozzle upside down can help. It could be the sensor location or that the bellows seal on the filler tube isn't quite as well.

For topping the rental car before heading to the airport I use the same technique but am cautious when it clicks off so I don't end up with gas on my foot. I imagine it would be an annoying smell on an airplane, assuming I even got through security smelling like gas. :eek:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I noticed that I can't "top off" the tanks on any of my cars anymore. The pumps stop at around 80%-85% full now. (It used to click off when the tank was completely full.)

This is part of CARB's new policies. Black cars will soon receive an environmental tax charge as they are more difficult to cool. Red cars will allow top off only at 80% as red cars tend to speed more. :D

Seriously, I've noticed it too but can fill my tank to full if I use 1/2 level or don't put the nozzle in all the way. I suspect it's the vapor recovery system. Once the nozzle detects the vapors, it shuts off. That's my theory. And it's a bigger pain when you're trying to fill up several 2.5 gallon gas containers (i get gas for my car and motorcycle at the same time).

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Haven't noticed on my DD. On my elise, I've always had this problem, but if I hold the pump at a higher angle it seems to go away.

It's best to hold it anyways. I've had it pop out of my car when it clicks done. Luckily it went over the side and didnt touch my paint, minus a few drops of gas. Since then, I always hold it until it's done

·
Registered
34 Posts
My big complaint about fuel fillers is the use of blending nozzles. All the new pumps in my area use one nozzle for all blends. Therefore if you fill up after previous vehicle took regular, you are paying for premium gas but getting about half a gallon of regular. We still have a few stations with old pumps that have separate nozzles for premium, but I have to search them out.
It might not sound like a big deal but it really pi$$es me off with my bike that only has a 14 litre tank. I have written to some of the companies to complain and I am sure that they are very concerned. :wallbang:
Is this the same arrangement that is usually found in the US?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just noticed this with my Porsche the other day at a gas station that I normally don't go to. I was wondering what was up!!! Well, I'll be filling up all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts