The Lotus Cars Community banner

What's your cam status?

• Haven't checked my cams; don't know if my cams are bad.

Votes: 71 74.7%
  • Checked my cams and they look fine.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • I have at least one bad cam covered under warranty.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I have at least one bad cam not covered under warranty.

Votes: 4 4.2%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
How about "havn't checked my cams, but know they aren't bad" (with 40K + miles too)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Checked mine at 35,800 miles - picture perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
I fail to discern the validity of this thread.
Anything God didn't make is subject to flaw. And some things he did make....like us.
Does this , in and of itself equate to - anything that Lotus manufactured is subject to the same flaw throughout any and all production runs?

I voted : at least one bad cam not covered under warantee.
I don't even own a lotus , YET.

I've noticed that certain owners expect the Lotus car to exude perfection.
This car is expected to surpass the quality of all others, never break down, never have a simple, minor problem, and OH MY GOD......Lord forbid, it rattled somewhere along the way when I hit a bump.
This deserves my utmost attention and I shall bing it back to the dealer.

Here's a little bad news.
It's a car.
It's going to have imperfection.
It's a sports car and one of the only TRUE sports cars on the road today which multiplies the imperfection factor many fold.
What it lacks in luxury, it more than makes up for in "thrill."
It looks good while it's doing it, perhaps better than 98% of the cars presently on the road.
Cars break. That's just a fact of life.
All of them, not just the one you own.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Do some research on the subject and you'll no longer fail to discern the validity of this thread.

Oh, and thanks for the "philosophy of Lotus ownership" lesson, but some of us, believe it or not...get it. -poke- ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Do some research on the subject and you'll no longer fail to discern the validity of this thread.

Oh, and thanks for the "philosophy of Lotus ownership" lesson, but some of us, believe it or not...get it. -poke- ;)
Oh, you're very welcome.
By the way, Lotus doesn't make the engine.

Incidentally, I was waiting for a comment like yours. Can you tell?

Need I say more?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Oh, you're very welcome.
By the way, Lotus doesn't make the engine.

Incidentally, I was waiting for a comment like yours. Can you tell?

Need I say more?
Lotus doesn't make the engine? Really? :eek: I didn't know that. :rolleyes

Note the ;) in my post. Lighten up. (<---more Lotus philosophy for you.) No, you needn't say more...but you will.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Checked 2 weeks ago (24k miles), all looks good. Never tracked, but auto-x'd

and IXLR8: this is a pretty major engine problem. If you catch the initial wear early, hopefully none of the internals are damaged. But catching it is unlikely, as most elise owners don't check it (as this poll will tell us)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Anything God didn't make is subject to flaw. And some things he did make....like us.
Does this , in and of itself equate to - anything that Lotus manufactured is subject to the same flaw throughout any and all production runs?

I voted : at least one bad cam not covered under warantee.
I don't even own a lotus , YET.

I've noticed that certain owners expect the Lotus car to exude perfection.
This car is expected to surpass the quality of all others, never break down, never have a simple, minor problem, and OH MY GOD......Lord forbid, it rattled somewhere along the way when I hit a bump.
This deserves my utmost attention and I shall bing it back to the dealer.

Here's a little bad news.
It's a car.
It's going to have imperfection.
It's a sports car and one of the only TRUE sports cars on the road today which multiplies the imperfection factor many fold.
What it lacks in luxury, it more than makes up for in "thrill."
It looks good while it's doing it, perhaps better than 98% of the cars presently on the road.
Cars break. That's just a fact of life.
All of them, not just the one you own.
i fail to understand the validity of you voting in a poll that you clearly have no business voting in...

how can you vote any of the above if you dont own a ****ing lotus.:thwack:

on top of that to make a post in a thread you know nothing about. :thwack:

this cam lobe issue has been a real problem for some of the owners and it and this thread has relevance to at least them.

your right about the motor not being build by lotus. its also badge by toyota and built by yamaha....;)

and your right about new cars not always having 100% build quality..(ask me how i know) however that warranty you receive when you buy that car should cover issues like this. when your told is doesn't :eek:

so. buy a lotus, then post.:up:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i voted

Haven't checked my cams; don't know if my cams are bad.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How about "havn't checked my cams, but know they aren't bad" (with 40K + miles too)
++

...i expressed concern when i had my elise serviced earlier this week, since i have no other reference on what the engine should sound like when pulling from low RPMs, and was not only told that my car sounded perfectly normal, but also that if cam lobe / rocker arm failures don't occur within the first ten thousand miles or so, they likely never will...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Fail to discern the validity of the thread? In what context?

I don't think it is a valid way to get George Bush out of office, for example.

But it is a valid way to check the ratio of occurance of the poll choices. I don't think there is any intent to apply the data in any context that is invalid. What are you talking about?

xtn

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
How this poll can be viewed as "invalid" is totally beyond me. There are worn #3 cam lobes all over the place and rocker arms are grenading everywhere. Anyway...

I am starting to fear I have the issue, and I plan on taking a peek tomorrow as time permits.

Keeper, how are the repairs looking?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
++

...i expressed concern when i had my elise serviced earlier this week, since i have no other reference on what the engine should sound like when pulling from low RPMs, and was not only told that my car sounded perfectly normal, but also that if cam lobe / rocker arm failures don't occur within the first ten thousand miles or so, they likely never will...
I would bet Keeper wishes that were the case. He had 20K+ mi. when his stuff hit the fan. :(

He and I had a conversation last week along the lines of "If it hasn't happened by now..." Well that talk is clearly worth it's weight in gold. :wallbang:

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I fail to discern the validity of this thread. [ . . . ]
Your post is rude and off base. If you were confused about my intent, you may have thought to ask for clarification before jumping to assumptions and innuendo. You're new, so I thought I'd see if this was your normal routine, when I found this post. I'll just say that I found it interesting.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1069553-post38.html

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'd ask how do you know? From what I've been told, failures have held off to 40k+ miles.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I haven't checked but I'm scared to look after reading all the horror stories about this issue :(

Since I'm out of warranty... I think I'll just go until I hear something. What good would it be to check and then be disappointed knowing I'll have to spend a ton of money down the road? I only have 12,000 miles so I'm not out of the woods yet :eek:

I've seen a trend with the earliest cars not having any issues so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts