The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am still trying to decide what i want to pick up as a daily driver. I am currently thinking M3 or CTS-V. Previously i was thinking Range Rover. I really can't make up my mind.

If you guys were going to have only two cars and the Elise was one, what would the other be? Price is not a major concern although obviously a Phantom or something is not an option.

EDIT: must have a back seat and a trunk big enough for a couple suitcases.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Audi S4 convertible

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think either of those would make an excellent companion. I've driven an M3 for the last 2.5 years and it's been a great daily driver. I've also heard excellent things about the CTS-V.

It might simply boil down to whether you really want 2 doors or 4.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
At the risk of offending the anti-SUV crowd, probably something like a Toyota Tundra.

1. It can tow the Elise to races. Yay.
2. I can haul crap from Home Depot in it.
3. It can hold four passengers.
4. Good for bad weather (not much of an issue here, but for driving to the mountains for skiing).

It does everything the Elise does not, without duplicating what the Elise does well.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wish someone made a more interesting vehicle with hybrid power. I would definitely buy a hybrid if they were available in something other than POS economy cars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
C32/C55 AMG

I'll take my current C32 AMG (or the new C55 AMG) as the compliment to the Elise. Utter comfort, cutting edge safety, slick shifting auto for traffic jams, four doors, fast with good brakes.

I also have a pretty heavily modded WRX that is the more visceral experience like the Elise will be and it's great to be able to go back and forth between the very different performance cars.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: C32/C55 AMG

Carl AMG said:
I'll take my current C32 AMG (or the new C55 AMG) as the compliment to the Elise. Utter comfort, cutting edge safety, slick shifting auto for traffic jams, four doors, fast with good brakes.

I also have a pretty heavily modded WRX that is the more visceral experience like the Elise will be and it's great to be able to go back and forth between the very different performance cars.
the WRX/EVO's are just too ugly. The new EVO MR sounds awesome. However, I will be using this car to pick up clients and go to meetings and such, so they just don't cut it.

As far as the AMG's, I hate MB's and will never own another one.

Unfortunately there is just no practical car that grabs me in the same way the Elise does. I wish the new M5 were available now and not ugly.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
An M5 is a client-friendly car. You could probably lease a pre-cert car and save a boatload of $.

The 330i Perf pack is also a great compromise. A V70R would be a very cool choice as well.

The Cayenne should also be considered if utility and performance are important. It's a shame they are not very attractive...though different wheels do make them better to look at. I believe you can write 'em off faster if you have your own biz.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shinoo said:
An M5 is a client-friendly car. You could probably lease a pre-cert car and save a boatload of $.

The 330i Perf pack is also a great compromise. A V70R would be a very cool choice as well.

The Cayenne should also be considered if utility and performance are important. It's a shame they are not very attractive...though different wheels do make them better to look at. I believe you can write 'em off faster if you have your own biz.

Good luck.
the Cayenne and Range Rover used to be my top two choices. I drove both and much preferred the Rover. I like trucks to drive like trucks and cars to drive like cars.

No matter what this vehicle will be leased. It really is only for business use as i can't imagine passing up a ride in the Elise unless i need to bring around a client or a suitcase.

-Steve

·
Registered
786 Posts
I considered the porsche suv, bought a vw with the v8 and 19 wheels for 42k, a great truck/ more car like handling, very fast for a 6600lb vehicle.

Very comfortable, can tow a good load, fit and finish are excellant, gas milage not too good, but the v6 was slow and if you push the 6 it get the same milage as the v8, the truck is super on the highway, tires are costly 19 in rossso 200 plus a pop, and mine are almost gone at 10k miles

·
Registered
529 Posts
Land Rover Defender 90 or 110.

Sure, they're quirky...they're British after all... But you can haul stuff, drive it in the nasty, drive it just about anywhere, plus the resale value on them is amazing (most even sell for more than what they went for new back in '93 and '94).

Once I get the Elise, I'll have IMO the perfect garage. 1 Elise and 1 Defender 90... :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eddie Haskell said:
Land Rover Defender 90 or 110.

Sure, they're quirky...they're British after all... But you can haul stuff, drive it in the nasty, drive it just about anywhere, plus the resale value on them is amazing (most even sell for more than what they went for new back in '93 and '94).

Once I get the Elise, I'll have IMO the perfect garage. 1 Elise and 1 Defender 90... :)
i've actually had 2 D90's. A yellow 95 and a BRG 97. They are great cars but also not suitable for business and a bit too quirky to be a good daily driver IMO. I definitely want something under warranty.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am with you 100%

offroadr35 said:
i wish someone made a more interesting vehicle with hybrid power. I would definitely buy a hybrid if they were available in something other than POS economy cars.
Google for Lexus LX400h - should be here in September; I expect there will be a Toyota Highlander version too.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I'd never thought I'd say this... I would choose the '05 Merc C55 AMG. Or an '05 BMW M5. C55 is more in reach for me and I like it's smaller size. I don't like big ass cars. I'm a huge BMW fan and if the M3 came with 4 doors, it would be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with Randy and Roadrunner... probably some SUV. If it's a hybrid, all the better. I'm waiting to see what the RX400h will be like.

In the interim, I have to admit that I miss my Nissan Murano. I liked it really well. It handled great (even based on car standards), had reasonable fuel economy, was very comfortable, was completely capable of towing the Elise, and has been the only car to have me think of selling my Audi A4. Sadly my Murano was totalled by an Landscaping truck... :(

Bob

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'd go with a Cooper S.

small, quick, handles good, can haul a moderate amount of stuff when the back seats are down. What more could you ask for? :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts