The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, I thrump my car pretty good at the track. I am noticing one issue that I need to resolve and it is same with S suspension and with my NA (much to my surprise). VSA recommended Team Dynamics wheels 18x9 and 18x10. That is what they use on their race car with race suspension (pillow ball bushings etc)

Problem is these wheels have so little space between inner edge of rim and leading edge of lower A arm that I am rubbing away at the arm. I, (we'll call it refinished) the left side once observed at LRP but yesterday got same thing at NHMS and also "enhanced" the left side.

My options are
1. 5mm spacers (need bolt pattern)
Concern is affects on geometry (unknown as this is outside my realm)
2. Get new rims with 19 inch rears. Better long term solution. Problem is cost unless someone has some factory wheels For Sale (I'd gladly procur someone's mildly curb rashed wheels at a reasonable price a t some point esp
if forged).

To be direct, if you plan on tracking your car with the street suspension, while the price is enticing, I WOULD NOT buy these wheels as they obviously don't fit properly!! Supposedly Team Dynamics refuses to make a 19 inch wheel. Would a 18x9.5 wheel extend just a bit less inward and therefore not rub as the A arm gets wider as we extend inward. Basically similar effect to a spacer. Hadn't thought about that till now. The 10 in rim is flush fit with a 275 so losing a 1/2 inch shouldn't be that much of an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Spacers on the rear wheels should have no detrimental effect on handling. They are available from H&R.
Fronts can be more problematic.

·
Registered
638 Posts
BRG, are you only experiencing rubbing issues on the rears, or both fronts/rears?

Also, I thought that the recommended wheel sizes by VSA were these:
fronts: 18 x 8.5, 52m offset, 5 x 114.3 bolt cir, 68.1 center
rears: 18 x 10, 60mm offset, 5 x 114.3 bolt cir, 68.1 center

but you mentioned 18x9 fronts.

Anybody else experiencing similar rubbing issues to brg?

I was waiting for the wheels to get back in stock (they are backordered through October) before placing an order, but if there are rubbing issues, would like to make sure there is a viable solution before pulling the trigger.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
.. Also, I thought that the recommended wheel sizes by VSA were these:
fronts: 18 x 8.5, 52m offset, 5 x 114.3 bolt cir, 68.1 center
rears: 18 x 10, 60mm offset, 5 x 114.3 bolt cir, 68.1 center
These are the correct dimensions for the TD/Rimstock wheels, trouble is the 9 mm change in offset, new wheels should be 63 mm offsets just to position rim with same backspace distance as the OEM rims but as BRG points out the A-arm is tapered so even with that, 63 mm on an 18" wheel will cut down the distance 'tween rim and arm, maybe a 65 mm offset or 5 mm spacer is ideal with an 18" rim.

BRG, how deep is the groove? if you measure its depth (parallel to axle shaft) and add 2mm for comfort clearance that is the spacer width needed. Maybe only 3 mm is really needed, in which case lugs should still work.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excuse they are 18x8.5 fronts and are a non issue. It is the rears only.
BTW not super impressed with the rears as they weren't the truest wheels I've ever seen but they do the job.

Thanks folks. Looks like I buy some 5mm spacers, convert from the damn bolts to studs and hex nuts like I had on my Elise for years so its easier to position the spacers etc. Amazingly quick answer time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just need to find winter tires that fit 19/20's or these 18's. 245's will definitely not fit a18x10 wheel. Not for snow driving as much as for cold weather driving. Would rather stay with 18 inch rubber as its MUCH less costly esp when you chew up a set every ~6 days. (6 days meanS bald rears and very nicely rounded fronts. I squeezed 7 days out of last fronts but have been getting more merciless on the car as comfort increases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts