The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just going through some of the detail pictures I took and I noticed the wheels are held on with bolts, not nuts. Am I the only one not to klnow this? The last car I had with Wheel bolts was a 1979 RX-7. Sure made swapping wheels harder.

Also, they are an unusual star patern. That must be people have a mysterious "bit" in their tool bag. One also seems to be a "lock of some sort. So there must be two bits in the bag or one "wrench" and a "bit"

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I have never had a BMW. Do the have a 10 point star socket like that? My RX-7 had regular lug nut type heads, as I recall. Maybe I am just getting old and forgetting.

Greg

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Racer X said:
OK, I have never had a BMW. Do the have a 10 point star socket like that? My RX-7 had regular lug nut type heads, as I recall. Maybe I am just getting old and forgetting.

Greg
no star sockets, just normal bolt heads

·
Registered
549 Posts
I believe all or most Euro cars use bolts>>>

MB certainly does...because of the centric hub ring not a problem for install wheel. If you use wheel spacers without the hub ring then installing wheel becomes a PIA.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Racer,
In your tool kit you get a socket looking piece that is for the locking lug. You also get what looks like an extension, this is the other lug bolts tool. You use both in conjunction with a socket wrench and socket, off hand I can't remember the size, I think 17mm.
Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMO,the anti-theft bolt is idiotic since they're already using the wacky star shaped female fasteners on the other three bolts. What thief is ever going to have the right tool to get those off?

Anyone read the manual on what to do if you get a flat tire? It's not confidence inspiring. There's no jack in this car either. I think offering run-flats would be a good move. The car is stiff as heck anyway, nobody is going to notice the even stiffer run-flats.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ringmeister said:
IMO,the anti-theft bolt is idiotic since they're already using the wacky star shaped female fasteners on the other three bolts. What thief is ever going to have the right tool to get those off?

Anyone read the manual on what to do if you get a flat tire? It's not confidence inspiring. There's no jack in this car either. I think offering run-flats would be a good move. The car is stiff as heck anyway, nobody is going to notice the even stiffer run-flats.
The problem with runflats is not sidewall stiffness, Its weight! they are very heavy and its unsprung mass which is even worse! Colin Chapman would not approve it!:no:

·
Registered
168 Posts
You're right, I overlooked that. We had them on our Mini S and they were boulders. Did come in handy when we got a nail in one though. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yeah I have an MCS which will be gone tomorrow when I trade it in on the Elise :clap: :clap: and I've been debating ditching them for the past 2 years!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drove a Z06 for a 18 months with no spare (non-runflats stock). No problem. I did get one nail, which was easily patched. The days of sudden unexplained blowouts is all but over. If you keep and eye on your prsssures and don't run them to the cords, usulaly it is only a slow leak. A blowout usually involves running over something which bends the wheel. You probably have more problems than a flat at this point and probably need a flatbed anyway.

I don't recall haviig a blowout or changing a flat on the road in the 28 years I have been driving. Maybe I am just lucky(knock on wood)!

Greg

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Re: Re: Wheel Bolts?

The hub has a nice snout that holds the wheel in place. You can then rotate the wheel to line up the holes. Not as convenient as lug nuts but not that difficult.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Fortunately I don't think the elise wheels fit many other cars so not much point stealing unless it's another elise owner, and I know where the other one in town lives!!:D
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ringmeister said:
Well, for one, it will keep me from stealing your wheels...

Tim Mullen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts