The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had new tires put on the S4 a few weeks ago but my plastic center caps were shot...mostly broken and siliconed in place. I just got new ones shipped out and go to have Discount Tire put them on and the fronts are no problem as the center hub holds them from going anywhere. The rears are a different story. There is nothing to lock them in place from falling back into the wheel. Am I just missing some sort of locking plate to hold them in place or is this just the oddest design for a center cap around? I can't imagine I have to glue these in from behind the wheel??! Anyone else dealt with this? Thanks.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
What type of wheels are you talking about? Include a picture.

The attachment method varies with the brand of wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of wheels are you talking about? Include a picture.

The attachment method varies with the brand of wheel.
They are just the factory wheels that came on the 95 Esprit. They are chrome OZ wheels. I will get a pic and post later today.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
OK.. now that I see them it seems that they SHOULD just snap in. Sheet 34.01A of the 1995 Service Parts List I have does not indicate any special retaining device on the wheels or center caps ("Embellishers" in Lotus-Speak).

Perhaps Jim K (LotusS4s), Randy, or Tom M could comment.

If, for some reason, a PO modified the centers, perhaps you could experiment with an o ring to hold the cap on (I did that successfully on some aftermarket wheels I bought for another car). It assumes, though, that there is some type of groove in the area of the center cap, however. (My '88s wheels have such a groove F&R).

Let us know, perhaps take a closeup of the inside if you can (F&R) to compare. I THINK I see a ridge that should retain the claws on the cap, or an O ring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the concept of a rubber o-ring or maybe some type of rubber grommet that fits behand the center cap fairly tight to hold it in place. I guess most folks don't have this issue!

OK.. now that I see them it seems that they SHOULD just snap in. Sheet 34.01A of the 1995 Service Parts List I have does not indicate any special retaining device on the wheels or center caps ("Embellishers" in Lotus-Speak).

Perhaps Jim K (LotusS4s), Randy, or Tom M could comment.

If, for some reason, a PO modified the centers, perhaps you could experiment with an o ring to hold the cap on (I did that successfully on some aftermarket wheels I bought for another car). It assumes, though, that there is some type of groove in the area of the center cap, however. (My '88s wheels have such a groove F&R).

Let us know, perhaps take a closeup of the inside if you can (F&R) to compare. I THINK I see a ridge that should retain the claws on the cap, or an O ring.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Those caps should just snap in, but have to go in from the backside. Taking them out is hard without breaking a tab accidentally.

I just installed these on 4 S4 wheels a few weeks ago.

Randy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That's what I expected too (and they did try by taking the wheels off and putting the caps in from the backside) but it appeared there was no where for the caps to snap into and if you push in on them from the front they will just fall back into the wheel. It's very strange....

Those caps should just snap in, but have to go in from the backside. Taking them out is hard without breaking a tab accidentally.

I just installed these on 4 S4 wheels a few weeks ago.

Randy

·
Registered
576 Posts
Something is wrong if they won't snap in from the back. On a stock S4 wheel they can only go in from the back, and they will lock in place with the tabs.

The tabs often get broken, especially when removing. If too many tabs are broken they will not stay in place unless you silicone them in.

Two other possibilities are that your wheel does not thave the stock hole size, or someone sold you the wrong caps. If I remember the caps for some of the other wheels are very similar, but won't fit.

Randy

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Those look like the caps that fit my AWI wheels, and coincidentally (or not) the Exige wheels... Not sure those are for the S4 wheels, but then I'm not sure what the S4 wheel caps look like off hand.

The S4 does use a different part number than the V8 AWI wheels

AWI caps A082G4112F

S4 = A082G6071F

1 - 11 of 11 Posts