The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 70 mph this morning I see the car in front of me hop slightly. Out from under his left wheel comes a displaced piece of pavement. It's a piece of cement laying on the road about 4 inches high. Nowhere to dodge (car on my right) I just plow over it in my SUV.

Should be fine right? Well, no, instead the tire deflates and I have to cross 5 lanes of cars to pull over and change the tire.

What I found surprised me. The tire doesn't have a scratch on it. No puncture. No blow out. Nothing. The WHEEL however, blew in. (!!)

These are the stock wheels that come on a Lexus 400h. The aluminum just ripped open on the inside.

I'm all livid about the wheel being poorly made, etc, etc. But maybe I'm wrong and this is to be expected with AL wheels (I not sure if they are AL, thy LOOK like AL). :mad:

Any thoughts? Is this normal or is my car wearing glass slippers for rims?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the tire. Not a dent.

In fact, I've never had a tire fully deflate and not shred. The sidewalls look great too. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't reuse the tire though. They are Falkens and I'm very happy with how well they held up. (and amazed the metal blew out before the rubber tire did).

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
WOW!!! I have never seen or heard of something like that happening. The tire even looks to have a decent sidewall. Rims 18's? I guess I would talk to a local Lexus dealer but I doubt that they will give you a new wheel. Maybe Insurance company would take care of that?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Will have to check the inside of the sidewalls, might have started to come apart.

Hitting a 4" slab of concrete at 70mph, I'm really surprised that is the ONLY damage to your vehicle. The force of that kind of hit... you sure your alignment isn't off now or any suspension parts aren't tweaked?

BTW, Lexus 400H is a mini van not an SUV. I guess you can keep telling yourself you don't drive a mini van though rotfl

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, Lexus 400H is a mini van not an SUV. I guess you can keep telling yourself you don't drive a mini van though rotfl
I've never understood the stigma some people have against mini-vans. I wish I had one. I've gone to test drive an Odyssey and loved it. We're thinking of getting a minivan within the next few years. And when I get one, I'll be a proud owner.

In this case however, you are incorrect. I'm not sure how someone could consider a 400h to be a mini van. It doesn't have minivan features / advantages. (minivan advantages over an SUV: much lower ride height for easier family entry/exit, tons more cargo room than an SUV, front cabin pushed forward partially over the engine to increase cabin volume, three row seating, massive sliding side doors, etc)

Wondering what you're on about I went and checked Edmunds. Sure enough, the 450h (current model of the 400h) is in their SUV list, not their minivan list. I think I'll trust their classification over yours.

(can't believe I waisted the few minutes to type up that response to such a trollish comment). rotfl

Link to car: http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-450h/years.html?sub=suv

-doma
Future proud minivan owner (probably an Odyssey).

Now... back to shopping for new rims. I think I'm done with aluminum.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW!!! I have never seen or heard of something like that happening. The tire even looks to have a decent sidewall. Rims 18's? I guess I would talk to a local Lexus dealer but I doubt that they will give you a new wheel. Maybe Insurance company would take care of that?
Yeah, they are 18s. I wonder if I have a case that they must be defective. Surely the tire would be damaged before the wheel? My front wheel hit it first and that wheel has no visible damage. The back wheel is the one that blew in. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Doma,

Tires can get "bruised" by heavy, sharp contact. With a little heat the "bruise" will become a bubble or cause separation in the belts. So, both front & rear tires are suspect. It's internal damage so you probably won't see any exterior signs of damage to the tread, sidewall or even the inside casing. Anyway, replace them as a precaution, you don't want a blow-out in the furture with your wife and kids in the car.

Glad you're okay. That's a big hit. I'd hang that wheel on the wall as a trophy, it's pretty awesome!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, good advice Kiyoshi.

So, yesterday on the way home the 'check engine' light comes on. I think 'hmm, maybe whatever I hit jumped up and hit the oil pan and I've got a slow oil leak or something'. So I pull over and look under the car for a drip. No drip. Instead there's a mess of dangling wires and a few hoses. One is a metal pipe. Yep, looks like whatever I hit jumped up and ripped out my fuel evap / charcoal canister guts which are mounted under the car. Took about 15 miles for the ECU to realize something was missing.

I'm guessing the front wheel ran over the road debris and the back wheel ran over the road debris PLUS car parts.

So I dropped the car at the dealer last night. Calling insurance in a little bit.

*sigh*

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great googly moogly! Never seen that before. Seen a few dented from the tire being pushed in so far until the rim was affected, but never that. What you hit must have either hit just right in the sweet spot to cause that damage or they're cheap rims. Aluminum really isn't the strongest metal, but that's wild.
Good to see you at least didn't loose control and have the situation worsen by getting hurt or killed or causing an accident from around you.
Better luck down the road man.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It looks like the chunk of asphalt might have flipped up vertically, centered perfectly between the tire beads right as you hit it. I bet when you pull the tire, there will be a rubber mark on the inside of the rim. Driving on the flat momentarily probably worn off any witness marks on the exterior of the tire.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
Imagine if you were in your Lotus. :eek: :crazyeyes -eek- :panic:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Imagine if you were in your Lotus. :eek: :crazyeyes -eek- :panic:
Then he could have dodged it, since he wouldn't even have had to leave the lane haha

But yeah, wow, so sorry to hear about this, but glad you handled it safely. Hopefully insurance handles it, since at this point it's definitely at "accident" level damage...

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is just a freak accident. I wouldn't blame that on the aluminum wheel.

I bet if you had a steel wheel the same thing would have happened or worse; Loss of control of the vehicle since less damage to the wheel would have imparted more energy into the suspension which isn't designed to handle that top of load.

Also you should check out of that is forged or cast wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts