The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go, Im stuck.

Two of my wheels were messed up (one front and one rear). So I found a good deal on a set of original Elise rims and picked them up. My Elise is an 06.

I dont know what year the the wheels came off of. ( the ones that I bought)

Well anyway, I sold 1 front one and one rear one because I didnt need them.

I swapped the rear tire over to the new wheel that I bought, as well as the front tire. The front tire seems to be ok so far, or at least I didnt notice anything. But recently I did notice that the rear wheel that I bought sits farther inside then my original rim... I do not drive the car yet, it just sits in my garage..

So my question is, did Lotus make a change in the offsets between 05 and 06?? Its the standard wheel...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm pretty sure, 99.9%, that the '05 and '06 wheels have the exact same offsets.
How'd you mess up the two original wheels? Could your problem be a result of that?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure, 99.9%, that the '05 and '06 wheels have the exact same offsets.
How'd you mess up the two original wheels? Could your problem be a result of that?
No that has nothing to with it.. :)

Here is how I noticeed it at first.. I wanted to put my stock center caps on the wheels.. And I noticed that one of the axles is sticking out more then the other one (axle was sticking out past the wheel). Then I noticed the whole wheel was farther inside.. The clam was sticking out farther on the drivers side.

Here is an 05 Elise center cap

The 06 center cap is flat and not sticking out.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you need, I have a full set of OEM non LSS standard 06 wheels, that I can sell you. They have great AD07 on there as well. These wheels are off the same car, that your rear clam came from ;)

How much? ;) Do I have to drive to San Diego again?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Lotus changed the hub on the rear wheels in late 2005. While they look the same at first glance the new wheels have a thicker hub to accept the flush fitting center cap. The wheel in your photo is an early wheel that has to take the center cap that sticks out from the hub. As you noticed, if you pull off that center cap with the wheel installed you will see the axle stub protruding through the hub center. As far as I can tell there is no difference in the offset of the mounting face at the hub, however there is a significant difference in the distance between the outer face of the rim and the face of the wheel center. If you are interested in an early style wheel to match the one you bought or a later wheel to match your original, I have one of each in nice shape and I would be willing to trade one of them for the one of yours you don't want (even though I prefer the early hub, I'm not particular about which style wheels I have, I just want a matching pair). This would allow both of us to have a matched set. PM me if you are interested.

BTW, the fronts are exactly the same.

·
Registered
907 Posts
No that has nothing to with it.. :)

Here is how I noticeed it at first.. I wanted to put my stock center caps on the wheels.. And I noticed that one of the axles is sticking out more then the other one (axle was sticking out past the wheel). Then I noticed the whole wheel was farther inside.. The clam was sticking out farther on the drivers side.

Here is an 05 Elise center cap

The 06 center cap is flat and not sticking out.
My June 05 Elise wheels don't look like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts