The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I am any where ready to be purchasing wheels for my Europa project, I just like to dream...

My car will be sitting on my brother's OEM Hollow Spoke Miata wheels during the build. Eventually I want to put the car on 14" wheels because it'll make it look a bit more sporty but not gaudy like a 15" probably would. The problem is, I am stuck with this wide body kit the previous owner put on, so I need a meaty tire to fill it out. I know it's a lot of tire for a tiny car, but I think 205/55-14 in the front and 225/50-14 in the back would look superb and hopefully would not ruin the feel of the car (you actually can get good tires in these bizarre sizes). Where on earth can I get a 14x7" Mini Lite or Panasport looking wheel? I need either a 4x100 bolt pattern, or the OEM 4x3.75". At this point color is up for grabs, but I like the thought of yellow or red :) The Rota RB is the going wheel these days but they don't make them in 14"! Doh!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Not that I am any where ready to be purchasing wheels for my Europa project, I just like to dream...

My car will be sitting on my brother's OEM Hollow Spoke Miata wheels during the build. Eventually I want to put the car on 14" wheels because it'll make it look a bit more sporty but not gaudy like a 15" probably would. The problem is, I am stuck with this wide body kit the previous owner put on, so I need a meaty tire to fill it out. I know it's a lot of tire for a tiny car, but I think 205/55-14 in the front and 225/50-14 in the back would look superb and hopefully would not ruin the feel of the car (you actually can get good tires in these bizarre sizes). Where on earth can I get a 14x7" Mini Lite or Panasport looking wheel? I need either a 4x100 bolt pattern, or the OEM 4x3.75". At this point color is up for grabs, but I like the thought of yellow or red :) The Rota RB is the going wheel these days but they don't make them in 14"! Doh!
Panasport makes, or used to make 7 inch rims that fit.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Join the Lotus Europa Community site and put your question to those guys. Go to the KB at Lotus Europa Central and search. You will get all the info you need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm running 15" Panasports on my Europa and I don't think they look tacky at all, but taste is a personal thing for sure. Don't remember my tire sizes offhand, but I do remember that the sidewall height is slightly smaller on the fronts for full turn in, and the rears are significantly wider. I want to say that my rear tire patch is close to 9 or 10".

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Performance tires for the 13" wheels are drying up. The only street usable 13" performance tire that I'm aware of is the Toyo R888, especially in the 185/60/13. By the time you get your Europa on the road, tires for the 14" wheels may be harder to find. They're pretty scarce right now.

I currently have 14x7 Panasports on my Europa project car installed by the PO. Tires are 185/60/14 front and 205/60/14 rears and really fill up the wheel wells. I believe RD Enterprises sells Panasports in 13" and possible in 14", and 15" sizes. The three pictures show the 14" Panasports on the yellow Europa versus the stock 13" wheels on the turquoise one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm running the toyo r888's on another car and love them on the track and street. Downside — you don't ever want to be caught in the rain with them.

Inching up one or two rim sizes isn't as noticeable as most think unless you go big — like the Foose Europa.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I was advised to not go with the Toyos for street use because of the need for them to get warm for to be effective, that normal street use they remain too cool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
From looking at pictures of the R888, it's more that there is so little tread on them than any temperature issues (though they would surely be better hot than cold) so that, as dsfriends says, they are not to be used in the rain. They look like they'd be diabolical in the rain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have R888s on two of my running S2 Europas, 185/60/13. With tire pressures set at 16/18 psi front and rear, grip is phenomenal. There is more grip than I'm willing to push on the street. Living in So California and having a 10 mile winding mountain road on my trip into town is also an advantage in being able to use the R888s on the street. I won't drive on them in the rain.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm running 15" Panasports on my Europa and I don't think they look tacky at all, but taste is a personal thing for sure. Don't remember my tire sizes offhand, but I do remember that the sidewall height is slightly smaller on the fronts for full turn in, and the rears are significantly wider. I want to say that my rear tire patch is close to 9 or 10".
Now that's what I call a perfect wheel tire selection! We are running 14" on a super seven and finding tires for 14's is a major pain in the arse!!!

Car looks great, but tires are tough to come by....especially in Canada...

I would advise to stay away from 14's...

Great looking car dsfriends!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I've found the R888s to be very grippy, heated or not. Highly recommend them unless you're going for a tire life record.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts