The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm thinking of getting 10mm wheel spacers. Can I use my stock wheel lug studs??

Let me know your thoughts,

Zach

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Hmmm.. Get some longer wheel bolts or

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with the BMW Studs from Bimmerworld, qty 20 so I'd have some extra. Easy swap & saves future headache w/ tire changes! Some friends use these on respective race cars and hold up great.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm.. Get some longer wheel bolts or

lol

Thanks guys for the info. I will def do this. The guys at Blackwatch racing said you probably can use the stock ones but I was skeptical.

Cheers,

Zach

·
Registered
19 Posts
You want the width of the lug bolt in depth, so if you have 12mm lug bolts you want about 12mm of threads inside the hub. 5 full turns is usually a good minimum for most cars.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Yes you need a full bolt diameter of thread engagement! Since the bolts are M12-1.5, you need 12/1.5 or 8 turns minimum...not 5!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
+1 you want this anyway. Makes changing wheels so much faster and easier.
+2 for wheel studs... its too affordable/easy of a change to make not to do it

mine are from BWR as well, plenty on thread left even with my 5mm spacers (10mm shouldnt be a problem)

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Have either of you guys looked at the engagement of the factory bolts with factory rims?

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Do you have any idea how much leverage even a 5-mm spacer has on a bolt?
I'll take that as a no....

Don't get too tied up with my comments... I wasn't declaring your advice incorrect.

·
Registered
238 Posts
even with 3mm spacers on the rear of my car with te37's, i don't feel comfortable with the oem bolts, i have a set of BWR forged stud kit on the way

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thread revival, but people are saying 8 full turns are needed. I just checked with my stock wheel bolts and only get about 6 full turns on stock LSS wheels too.. Any explanation for this?

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Sure, you're thinking too hard about this. Stock wheel + stock bolt is ok

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts