The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As quoted from people who spoke to Lotus at the LA Auto Show, the SS wheels weigh in at 7 lbs less in the back and 4 lbs less in the front.

According to Rimstock's website, even their racing wheels in 17 x 7 are not less than 16 lbs, which would mean that the stock 17" rims (on the rear) would weigh in at around 23-24 lbs? And those are supposedly lighter than the S1 wheels (according to Top Gear)?

Does this seem right or we getting some number inflation here? I suppose it's possible that these Rimstock wheels made for Lotus are wildly more advanced than their other wheels or that the stock Lotus wheels are horribly overwieght - neither of which sound really true. Maybe they meant wheel and tire weight combined?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I believe the standard wheels are cast. Still, 23lbs is awfully heavy. I have cast wheels (17x7.5") that are 17lbs, and that's not even particularly light. Anything much over 20lbs wouldn't make much sense to me. There are cast 17" wheels slightly over 20lbs that are fairly popular, but those are bullet proof (good enough for off-road use on a 3000+ lbs vehicle).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Then the real question is this:

How much do the standard US Elise wheels weigh?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
BrianK said:
As quoted from people who spoke to Lotus at the LA Auto Show, the SS wheels weigh in at 7 lbs less in the back and 4 lbs less in the front.
Could it by 7 and 4 lbs less for the wheel and tire combinations? That would make some sense...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
As a reference point, the stock 16x6.5 cast aluminum wheels on my Cougar are ~22 lbs each. My 17x7.5 Kosei K1s (also cast aluminum) are supposed to weigh in at 16.7 lbs.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Tim, I doubt that. The A048s are probably heavier than the Neovas, which have a reputation as being very light (although I realize that's based on the AD-06, and the new tires are the AD-07).

The stock cast aluminum 16x6.5" wheels on the Miata are 15.5 Lbs. The MINI stock 16" wheels are closer to 20 Lbs. The lightest cast 16" wheels I've heard of are 14.25 Lbs.

Forged 16" wheels can run in the 11-12 Lb range.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John Stimson said:
Forged 16" wheels can run in the 11-12 Lb range.
Out of curiosity, what 16" wheels are in this range? I don't doubt that they exist, but I've never seen them.

The 16x8's on the 3rd gen RX7 are just under 16 lbs & are cast.

Totally a shot in the dark here, but the standard 111S wheels (the standard wheels for the US) don't appear to be cast, but who knows.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
cgomez said:
Great Info, but it seems nobody makes a 16" wheel in 6.5" width for us Autocrossers....
You don't need to exactly match the centerbore and offset of the stock wheels for stock class autocrossing.

If I recall correctly, the SCCA allows offset to change up to 0.25in from stock, and spacers can be freely used, as long as the result is within the given range. And aftermarket wheels will almost always require hubcentric rings to match any specific centerbore.

So if you're trying to match the stock LSS front wheels (specs from the link above), you need a 16"×6.5" wheel, with a 4×100mm bolt pattern, a offset of +37.35 to +24.65 (higher offset wheels would be legal with spacers to achieve a legal value), and a greater than 56.6mm centerbore.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
cgomez said:
Great Info, but it seems nobody makes a 16" wheel in 6.5" width for us Autocrossers.
Welcome to my world :( I've been looking for light wheels in this size for my Miata for three years...

Finally, SSR has made a 16x6.5" Comp wheel with a 44mm offset. The MINI guys banded together and got them to do it. It'll require a 1/2" spacer to match the Elise's stock offset, which probably requires longer wheel studs.

But the Volk TE37 and probably the CE28N, the Racing Hart CP035, the Advan RG, the Mugen MF-8, and the SSR Competition (TypeC in other markets), all weigh in at 11-12 Lbs for a 16" wheel. Most of them start at 7" wide, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Per Tony Shute's crib notes at the L.A. show SSRs are 6.6kg and standard wheels are 8.8kg. We were interupted before I could ask if that is rear or front but he seemed to be indicating/looking at the rear wheel while reading the note. Which would jibe with the reported ?4 lb. difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Rimstock's on my Exige weigh in at:
Front 16X7 16.5 lbs [7.5 Kg]
Rear 17X8.5 21 lbs [9.5 kg]
I know of a Japanese guy who has Exige wheels forged by Rays Engineering that weigh:
Front 16X7 11.9 lbs [5.4 Kg]
Rear 17X8.5 15 lbs [6.8 Kg]
He makes them in Elise sizes as well, but I have no clue if he has any plans to make them for the US car.
Lightest wheel around is the Racing Hart 035 R, and since it's a 2 piece design it can be made in any offset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts