The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, generic question before it goes into the shop-- but experiencing a nasty grinding noise (particularly gears 2-4) when my Elise is either cruising at 2000+rpm or my foot is on the accelerator. The noise is coming from what appears to be the front passenger side wheel well area. As soon as I toss the clutch to the floor, the noise disappears completely, but it's pretty consistent anytime there's power coming from the engine to the vehicle.

Can't figure out why this would be the case in the area the grinding is coming from with a RWD mid engine vehicle.

I'm clearly not a mechanic, but if you have ideas on where I should specifically look, I'm open to anything and everything. :UK:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Well its almost for sure not coming from the front wheel well if it goes away with the clutch in. Its super easy to mistake where noises come from in that car. It doesnt make any noise when you roll down the street in neutral? Only when on the gas and over 2000 RPM?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its almost for sure not coming from the front wheel well if it goes away with the clutch in. Its super easy to mistake where noises come from in that car. It doesnt make any noise when you roll down the street in neutral? Only when on the gas and over 2000 RPM?

Yeah which is why I found it very odd that it sounded that direction, but no noise when the car is in neutral/clutch engaged.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2007 Porsche GT3
854 Posts
Maybe a vibration sound caused by a certain RPM? Transmission noise or even an engine pulley?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check that your under tray is tight. When mine was loose it rattled right at 2500 rpm and stopped at 3k-ish.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Or loose exhaust pipes or heat shields...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts