The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorbooks.com - Books available on automotive, motorcycles, aircraft, auto racing,trucks, trains, boats, airplanes, tractors, cars and bicycles.

this event was a BLAST last year but this year it falls on our cars and coffee event locally here in MN. :(

I dont want to take away from the awesomeness of the cars and cofffee but I would suggest that everyone make the awesome scenic drive out for this. From what Ive hear, its going to be the last one ever. :eek:

the LOON club usually meets somewhere locally beforehand and caravans out there but Im sure Tim will chime in here soon with more details. the drive out there alone was worth it... a loooong chain of brightly colored lotuses cruising the twisty scenic roads of the MN/WI border... oh man the feeling is sweet! :coolnana:

there is a class award for lotus specifically too! :cool:

Jamie

·
Registered
514 Posts
28th Annual Wheels & Wings -- Details & Directions

It's time for the
Saturday, Sept 6th
Motorbooks International Publishing
729 Prospect Ave
Osceola, WI 54020
(715) 294-3345
Motorbooks.com - Books available on automotive, motorcycles, aircraft, auto racing,trucks, trains, boats, airplanes, tractors, cars and bicycles. for more info.

Wheels & Wings is the largest owner car show and informal concours in the area. In recent years it's been drawing nearly 1000 specialty cars from vintage Model T's to the latest exotics. Throw in the great sale prices on select Motorbooks titles and discounts on everything in the racks, and it's a "Don't miss it" car event.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that this may be the last Wheels & Wings as we know it. The host company, MotorBooks International (Classic Motorbooks) has been purchased and is moving to the Twin Cities.

However, Wheels & Wings is one part of the Osceola Crazy Daze, and the city officials in charge have stated that they hope to be able to continue to host W&W in the future. No word on how they intend to do that, but they hope.

If this is to be the last Wheels & Wings... then don't miss it; but keep your fingers crossed for the 29th annual in 2009.

Cars are parked in the order they arrive. If a club wishes to park as a group, it needs to arrive as a group. To facilitate that, the Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON) will meet early at the Perkins restaurant on the northeast corner of the interchange between County Road E and I-35E... just north of I-694 From there we'll caravan over to Osceola together and all Lotus owners are welcome to join us. Just show up.

Perkins Restaurant & Bakery
1045 County Road E East, St Paul, MN 55110
(651) 426-1643
Yahoo Maps: Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

8:00 AM DEPARTURE from Perkins. Wheels rolling !!

If you wish to have breakfast there before leaving, then plan to arrive, with full gas tanks, sufficiently early for you to enjoy a meal. If you have any difficulties finding your way, call the restaurant or one of these cell phone numbers:

(612) 877-1076 Tim Engel
(612) 807-2710 Dave Cammack

There will be burgers, brats & drinks for sale on the Motorbooks grounds. Or school busses will be running a circle-route into town if you would like to check out other restaurants, Osceola's "Crazy Daze", a nice craft show in the park, the steam train, or the aircraft show at the airport.

Concours awards are usually given out by 2:30 or 3:00 PM and the crowd thins dramatically after that. Whenever the LOON collective decides to leave, we will adjourn to a local restaurant for an early supper before finding our own ways home. In past years we've stopped at The Gasthaus, The Dock, Phil's Tara Hideaway, and Famous Dave's. Options are open and we'll go where the group wants to go.

If you can't meet with the LOON Saturday morning at Perkins, then show up when you can. But note that the organizers direct cars where to park on a first come/ first served basis. If you wish to park with the club, then arrive with the club. If you come separately, then there's a good chance you may end up parking separately. Bring your cell phone to help connect with the group, but understand that the coverage around Osceola is spotty on a good day. We'll park loose so we can always squeeze together for a late arrival or two.

Driving Directions:

From Stillwater, proceed north on Hwy 95 about 20+ miles to Hwy 243 (goes to the east only).

Turn East (right) onto Hwy 243 and follow it across the St. Croix River Valley, into Osceola and to a stop sign at State Rd 35 / Cascade Street.

Turn South (right) onto Cascade, go under the bridge, enter the left turn lane for the first turn a very short distance after the bridge. (As an alternative, take Wisc. State Hwy 35 from I-94 and follow it north to Osceola.) That will bring you to this same intersection/ stop sign, but from the opposite direction.

Turn East on to County Hwy M / 75th Avenue. Follow it up the hill and east for about (?) a mile to Prospect Way (goes to the left only)... watch for W&W signs.

Turn North (left) onto Prospect Way. From there, just follow the signs and the directions of the volunteers directing traffic. If you are driving a specialty car wish to park in the show, you will be guided to a parking spot. If you drive the grocery getter, you will be directed to public parking lots.

Yahoo Maps, Broadband = Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
Yahoo Maps, Traditional = Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
Google Maps = 729 prospect ave, osceola, wi - Google Maps

See you all there,
Tim Engel -- (612) 877-1076 Cell

NOTE: Wheels & Wings is in the same time slot as the September Cars & Coffee. Cars & Coffee is a great event and I support it whole heartedly. However, W&W is an established, 28 year tradition that on it's worst day is about five times larger than C&C. If you've not attended a W&W before, make this year the year... since there may not be a next year.

If you can't commit a full day to W&W, then be sure to make C&C at it's new location in the Auto MotorPlex in Chanhassen, 9:00 - 11:00 AM.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We're in the home stretch for Wheels & Wings. Remember, this will be the last Motorbooks International (Classic Motorbooks) W&W ever so don't miss the chance. If the Osceola city officials responsible for the Crazy Daze celebration find some way to keep the gathering alive in the future, it will be without the MBI's participation.

LOON members will be caravaning over as a group and any Lotus owners/ fans are welcome to travel with us. There may be a few MR2 types tagging along as well (the Mk I has Lotus design content). If you wish to join us then meet us at the Perkins on the northeast corner of I-35E and County Rd E Saturday morning and be ready to roll by 8:00 AM. See the previous long message for details.

1045 County Road E East, St Paul, MN 55110 -- (651) 426-1643
8:00 AM DEPARTURE from Perkins... Wheels rolling !!

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
361 Posts
wow, quite a drive out there, dont think I will make it, but enjoy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
im in Milwaukee, so its like ~5 hrs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll be there.

Mike

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tim

What route are you guys taking from Perkins? Are you coming up 35E to Forest Lake theen heading east or another route. Curious since we live just north of Forest Lake.

Jeff and Pamela

We're in the home stretch for Wheels & Wings. Remember, this will be the last Motorbooks International (Classic Motorbooks) W&W ever so don't miss the chance. If the Osceola city officials responsible for the Crazy Daze celebration find some way to keep the gathering alive in the future, it will be without the MBI's participation.

LOON members will be caravaning over as a group and any Lotus owners/ fans are welcome to travel with us. There may be a few MR2 types tagging along as well (the Mk I has Lotus design content). If you wish to join us then meet us at the Perkins on the northeast corner of I-35E and County Rd E Saturday morning and be ready to roll by 8:00 AM. See the previous long message for details.

1045 County Road E East, St Paul, MN 55110 -- (651) 426-1643
8:00 AM DEPARTURE from Perkins... Wheels rolling !!

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
514 Posts
What route are you guys taking from Perkins? Are you coming up 35E to Forest Lake theen heading east or another route. Curious since we live just north of Forest Lake.
Jeff,

The route isn't really set, but it's safe to say it won't start out northbound on 35E. We usually start out east bound on Cty Rd 96. If we are late getting rolling, we'll probably stay on it to Stillwater and head north from there. If time permits, we'll jog around a bit on some of the back roads and come out just a bit south of Marine on St. Croix.

Dave Lindemann lives just north of Scandia, perhaps you could hook-up with him and connect with us where Hwy 243 turns off to the east across the river valley into Osceola.

You subscribe to loon-mn don't you? I'll cross post this message there and perhaps you and Dave can work out a plan to intercept us enroute. Call me at (612) 877-1076, cell.

Is Pamela coming with you?

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey all, we're going to drive down to Perkins on E in the morning. And drive up back up with everyone. We should be there at 7:30, see ya all !!

·
Registered
417 Posts
:shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift:

YES........I'll be there. See Ya All at the Perkin's in ST.PAUL.

Dan......I'll be at Perkin's in Apple Valley at 7:00am........DON'T BE LATE, it's about an 1/2 hour to the Perkin's in St.Paul.

And those guy's are mean.........they will leave us behind........:D

But...........then we drive faster. :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
What a great day for a car show! We had a good group of Lotus cars including an Esprit X180R, an S1 Elise and an S1 Exige. During the awards presentation, Lotus took the award for "Most Unique Club Turnout".

Five DeLoreans joined us for the caravan over to Osceola, and we picked up Glenn in his Noble M400 as we rolled through Marine on St. Croix.

At the end of the day we stopped at the Gasthaus for dinner.

Thanks to all who joined in, I hope everyone enjoyed the day.

Regards,
Tim Engel

1 - 20 of 36 Posts