Registered
2,202 Posts
looks like the BBS wheels...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where to get some

O.K., now, where to get some? Also, I saw on that link that Rob K used front 17x7F +32 rears are 18x8 +38 (what does the +32 & +38 mean) combined with Falken Rt-615s 205/40-17 front and 235/40-18 rear tires.

Has anyone found problems with tire rub on the inside of the fender with these larger tires and/or larger wheels? I tried putting larger tires on my sport wheels and they rubbed.

What's an advantage/disadvantage with the larger wheels mentioned above as opposed to the stock 16 front and 17 rear? Ride comfort? Traction?

What would be some recommended tires for Pacific Northwest driving if I went with the rim sizes mentioned above (17 front & 18 rear)?

Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey Rob - one choice is Cantrell Motorsports for BBS wheels - go to their website, www.cantrellmotorsport.com, and click on BBS Wheels and look for

3-Piece Race Wheel w/Cast Magnesium E28 Center

I believe that Colin has a source of racing wheels that look very much like this but are priced significantly less.

They sure look cool on a green car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rob - one choice is Cantrell Motorsports for BBS wheels - go to their website, www.cantrellmotorsport.com, and click on BBS Wheels and look for

3-Piece Race Wheel w/Cast Magnesium E28 Center

I believe that Colin has a source of racing wheels that look very much like this but are priced significantly less.

They sure look cool on a green car.
Hi Tim. Yeah, they would look awesome on my little green car. I'd love to duplicate that green track car in the pics above.

·
shay2nak
25,000 Posts
O.K., now, where to get some? Also, I saw on that link that Rob K used front 17x7F +32 rears are 18x8 +38 (what does the +32 & +38 mean) combined with Falken Rt-615s 205/40-17 front and 235/40-18 rear tires.

Has anyone found problems with tire rub on the inside of the fender with these larger tires and/or larger wheels? I tried putting larger tires on my sport wheels and they rubbed.

What's an advantage/disadvantage with the larger wheels mentioned above as opposed to the stock 16 front and 17 rear? Ride comfort? Traction?

What would be some recommended tires for Pacific Northwest driving if I went with the rim sizes mentioned above (17 front & 18 rear)?

Thanks
+32 & +38 is the offset. The stock offsets are +31 and +38. You won't have any problems with rubbing with 205 and 235.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what to do

So what to do here.

I only have 1 set of wheels, Lotus sport, which I'm running my normal driving tires on (Michelin all-seasons). My stock Lotus sport Yoko's A048's are sitting patiently and only have 5500 miles on them. I'd like to get a set of rims to run the Yoko's on but:

- What's the advantage of running 17's for the front and 18's for the rear. If I did that I couldn't mount the stock A048's that I have. What would be difference (handling, ride, etc.) running bigger rims and bigger tires?

- What do people recommend then tire wise for 17's front and 18's rear? Rob K used 205/40-17 front and 235/40-18 rears. Is the a max tire size or is this it?

- I sure like the look of those gold rims with the green body.

Decisions, decisions, decisions........

·
Registered
146 Posts
So what to do here.

- What's the advantage of running 17's for the front and 18's for the rear. If I did that I couldn't mount the stock A048's that I have. What would be difference (handling, ride, etc.) running bigger rims and bigger tires?

- What do people recommend then tire wise for 17's front and 18's rear? Rob K used 205/40-17 front and 235/40-18 rears. Is the a max tire size or is this it?

-

There are Pros and Cons to changing to larger wheels. As you see the larger wheel combination looks a lot better!
As a rule of thumb for "Plus Sizing" you increase the section width by 1 size (195 to 205) decrease section width by 1 size (50 to 45 or 40) and increase rim size by 1 size). Then make sure the load capacity is not decreased :no:.
Then adjust to find the closest size. You should not increase diameter by more than 3% or decrease by more than 1%, to maintain ABS calibration, speedometer, and other computer controls.
The 195/50R16 is 23.7" in dia., the section width is 8", and has a max load of 1102 lb. The 205/40R17 is 23.5" in dia., the section width is 8.4", and has a max load of 1102.
The 225/40R17 is 24.9" in dia., the section width is 8.9", and has a max load of 1356 lb. The 235/40R18 is 25.3" in dia., the section width is 9.6", and the max load is 1356.
I know, I know the the total weight add up to 4916 lb and that's a lot more than the cars total weight. Go into a turn at the bottom of a hill, how much weight is on the outside tires?

The larger wheel setup will handle better but ride harder. They have less sidewall to flex in a turn and less give on a bump. There is less sidewall so the rim is closer to the road so you have more chance of bending a rim in a pothole.
The larger wheels are heavier so have more rotating mass. They will be harder to get rolling and harder to stop!! You can help this with a Forged wheel instead of a cast wheel but $$$$.

I hope that answers your question.
Joe
www.thetireshoppe.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

There are Pros and Cons to changing to larger wheels. As you see the larger wheel combination looks a lot better!
As a rule of thumb for "Plus Sizing" you increase the section width by 1 size (195 to 205) decrease section width by 1 size (50 to 45 or 40) and increase rim size by 1 size). Then make sure the load capacity is not decreased :no:.
Then adjust to find the closest size. You should not increase diameter by more than 3% or decrease by more than 1%, to maintain ABS calibration, speedometer, and other computer controls.
The 195/50R16 is 23.7" in dia., the section width is 8", and has a max load of 1102 lb. The 205/40R17 is 23.5" in dia., the section width is 8.4", and has a max load of 1102.
The 225/40R17 is 24.9" in dia., the section width is 8.9", and has a max load of 1356 lb. The 235/40R18 is 25.3" in dia., the section width is 9.6", and the max load is 1356.
I know, I know the the total weight add up to 4916 lb and that's a lot more than the cars total weight. Go into a turn at the bottom of a hill, how much weight is on the outside tires?

The larger wheel setup will handle better but ride harder. They have less sidewall to flex in a turn and less give on a bump. There is less sidewall so the rim is closer to the road so you have more chance of bending a rim in a pothole.
The larger wheels are heavier so have more rotating mass. They will be harder to get rolling and harder to stop!! You can help this with a Forged wheel instead of a cast wheel but $$$$.

I hope that answers your question.
Joe
www.thetireshoppe.com
Joe. Thanks. Sounds like if I get some Works to match the stock A048's then I'd be fine. Either mount the A048's on the Lotus sport rims or on the Works. At least that way I wouldn't have to buy a new set of tires too. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts