The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the dealers going to let us know the final price they are going to charge us when we put in our selections (colors and options). Cause at the point we choose our options, our deposit will most likely be non-refundable. I am wondering cause on the other board, some people are wondering if we are really gonna get the car for MSRP. I would assume they would tell us the price if they make our deposits non-refundable.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,247 Posts
We should get the official MSRP at the LA Auto Show. If your contract states MSRP, you are in good shape. I'm sure that the final price will HAVE to be disclosed when you finalize your order.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I wasn't really asking what the final MSRP will be, but was asking when do we find out how much we are paying. I have never bought a car under these circumstances before.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
nxm150 said:
Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I wasn't really asking what the final MSRP will be, but was asking when do we find out how much we are paying. I have never bought a car under these circumstances before.
Probably $38,500 MSRP
plus
$1,000 mandatory sport touring option
plus
local, state sales tax
plus
licensing fee, smog, and whatever other local fees.
plus
dealer prep
plus
local advertising, if the dealer choose to charge
plus
mandatory insurance before one can take delivery.
plus
cost of car cover
plus
cost of 3m transparent paint protection shielding
plus
cost of check or wire transfer fee
plus
if financing, closing cost or other bank fee
plus
if financing, interest and related payments.
plus
notary public fee, if required,
plus
cab fare to dealer
plus
Zaino wash and polish

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what was posted on the official website from a user -

I don't want to create havoc here, but I spoke to Criswell in MD last week (Tom Skinner). Here's a synopsis:

1. He said he would put MSRP on my purchase order, but added, as an aside, that this "guarantee" is really a myth. He went on to say that even if all of the dealers say they'll sell it for MSRP, that the owner of the dealership has the final say on what each car sells for, and if he deems it acceptable to add a fair market value mark-up, he will. That information made me nauseus.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
nxm150 said:
This is what was posted on the official website from a user -

I don't want to create havoc here, but I spoke to Criswell in MD last week (Tom Skinner). Here's a synopsis:

1. He said he would put MSRP on my purchase order, but added, as an aside, that this "guarantee" is really a myth. He went on to say that even if all of the dealers say they'll sell it for MSRP, that the owner of the dealership has the final say on what each car sells for, and if he deems it acceptable to add a fair market value mark-up, he will. That information made me nauseus.
Because if the dealer decides to break the contract, there is really not much that you can do. You can sue the dealer, but with lawyer billing at $500 an hour here, it will cost you more money to sue than just pay the markup. My thinking is don't worry about it, because really there is not much that can be done about it. On the other hand, if some of the lawyers here -- I am sure there are plenty -- have nothing to do and like to start preping for a class action against Criswell, then it will be a different story.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
agent.5 said:

cab fare to dealer
Only if you're lucky enough to live that close to a dealer.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In CA deposit are refundable until you've done the paper work and taken delivery of the car. If the dealer tells you otherwise- would double the check the law in your state. Then would suggest they give you in writing a good faith estimate before you place the order. Typical cost (out the door) is 10% over the cost of the car itself (adding tax, license fees, etc.). It's up the buyer to follow up on this sort of thing... the dealer may try to get away with what they can.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
nxm150 said:
That's true. My hope is that the owner will care more about customer loyalty and profits on service than the sale of the car itself. I think this is very likely at the dealers specializing in exotic cars...if they're smart, they'll realize that many buyers of an Elise may very well want to step up to a new, more expensive exotic at some point in the future. If they can build a good relationship with the buyer, they can be assured of not only future sports car sales to that person, but plenty of income from servicing the cars. Let's face it, there are few reliable exotic sports cars, and relatively few buyers. Build relationships with those few buyers and your business will prosper (long term).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I completely agree. In addition, people will talk about their experience to others. I probably wouldn't have the energy to sue a dealer if they screw me, but I would certainly make sure that a lot of people know about it. I'm a very loyal customer, I go back to places that treat me well, and recommend them to others. But if I have a bad experience somewhere, I won't be back, and I'll spread the word as well. Consumers have power, a business is nothing without our money.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
As far as Criswell goes, it's a bit of sales talk. There charging "market" price, other dealers MSRP. Same thing locally, there are two dealers one MSRP the other early on a $5k and now $10k mark up... guess which one is saying MSRP is not what you may not end up paying. ;)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Consumers have power, a business is nothing without our money.
Except that with a small production run, high demand and wait lists we're on the wrong side of that equation. This is not going to be a Mini or Beetle where eventually the production will catch up with demand and put the shoe on the other foot.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,247 Posts
babak said:
This is not going to be a Mini or Beetle where eventually the production will catch up with demand and put the shoe on the other foot.
I hope you are right, though I believe that supply will catch demand. This is a very narrowly focused car. Lotus has sliced up an already small segment...which I think is smart since no one else really offers anything like it!

Let's hope they keep it focused when they design the S3(which is surely underway).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
In principle, I agree with you, but the cynic in me just doesn't see it. With Elise, Lotus is leaching away buyers from S2K, Porsche (I gave up looking for a 944/968 cab) and other pseudo-exotics. But not that much, not enough for them to take notice. Our 'hope' of increased porduction is that they'd double the run to 3K/year, that's not even a blip on others radar. While those numbers are significant in Lotus' world, i frankly don't see dealers caring. This wont be a car where we're upgrading every so many years or decade for the repeat business. They have a hot item, the demand is high and will remain high for some time. They'll try to make a buck anyway they can, this is capitalism in it's finest. I just hope that the impracticality and other factors will weed out the bling bling crowd (ala PT cruiser) and reduce the volatility in the market.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Don't overestimate the market for this type of car. Sure, when they see the car, a lot of people will be impressed with how it looks and performs. But when pushed, most will find some practical reason why they couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Exactly, that's why some dealers might not care about repeat visit and try to extract their pound of flesh while they can and make a quick buck.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
babak said:
Exactly, that's why some dealers might not care about repeat visit and try to extract their pound of flesh while they can and make a quick buck.
I am certain that is the case, especially dealers that primarily sell cars to Joe 6 pack, say one in Redwood City, CA. On the other hand, some dealers may be interested in selling track events and track-related services, and will be interested not to gouge maximum at the initial sale. Los Gatos seems to be doing that. The salesmen are asking whether we will be tracking the Elise.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
So they can void your warranty and charge you for the parts and service:eek:

I am sure they want to double bill for labor with a 500% markup on parts. So, be careful what to say after one gets the car. But, it is kind of strange that they ask about track stuffs while trying to close the sale, and ask for the credit card number.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sounds like a question designed to give an excess to void your warranty to me also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts