The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's winter here in the Midwest and my car is laid up, again, until April. So as I wait until I can feel my toes again I think of more stuff to do to my car (remember, the average demographic here looks to be a guy in late 40's or early 50's and the stock market went up 30% last year). I'm average.

Determined for about 5 minutes when I got the car in '09 to enjoy it stock, I then had to re-do all the silly stuff the original owner did to it. And deal with the two pounds of dog food that a mouse had stolen in his trunk and distributed into the front part of the car. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/dog-food-hits-my-feet-120700/

Then I did some cosmetic stuff, manual winders, little mirror, Craftsquares, LSS wheels and called it a day. Very happy was I, driving about in my little narrow-tired base Elise.

Until I wasn't. Took it to the track in 2010. Yes, it was more fun than my old Mini at the track. Bought Exige-type seats and a harness bar and 4 point. All good. Called it a day.

Until I didn't. What if the oil sloshed over? Battery flew around? Oil starvation? Catch cans. G pan, battery tiedown, toe link. Whew, all done in 2010, no more worries. Called it a day.

Holy crap, look at those really nice Lotus Sport wheels, who doesn't need a set of those? Really, a silver and a black set, like different sneakers. But I have a perfectly good set of wheels. But the Lotus Sport wheels are so... shiny. Well, if I have lots of wheels, gotta go for a custom back end. Sourced a GT3 exhaust from someone who went to the trouble of dealing with Jim but didn't want to use it, best of all worlds there! But for sure, in 2011 I was done. Called it a day.

15 track days in 2012. 4 points are crap! What about running out of gas mid-corner? And what's with the understeer. Did I buy a Buick? What I really needed was a 6 point, a V2 tank, and more camber. Oh, and those light, sexy floating discs... oooh, they just gotta work better. It's a disease I tell you. But I was done.

15 track days in 2013. I REALLY needed was to swap out my DA Ohlins (oh yeah, forgot, got those in 2011, my bad) for Nitron DA's. Bought and sold some wheels, natch. Can't have enough wheels, so nice and round and shiny. But I'm truly done.

But damn, it was so cold and gloomy in December. I'm warm, shouldn't my car be too? Now it's been sitting in a race shop the last month getting some serious suspension love. Traded my alcantara Exige seats for a leather Exige seats. I'm about to get a 4th set of wheels (2 silver, 2 black) on the theory that it's easier to stockpile wheels with tires than keep mounting tires every other weekend after I destroy them. Now I need a bigger wheel shed in the back. Doing Bertil Roos single seat school in March. My wife thinks I'm insane, but in a good way. Or so she says. I'm not sure that I'm so good about human cues anymore...

So, informal poll: Andy went stupid in:

-(a)2009 when he bought the car.

-(b)2010 when he drove it fast but not very fast but spent lots of money trying to go faster.

-(c) 2011 when he drove it a little faster but spent lots of money which didn't at all have to do with him getting faster.

-(d) Andy has yet to go into full out stupid because I don't see him writing about superchargers or ECU's.

-(e) Andy's not stupid at all, I've spent lots more money than him.

(BTW, what do you think of a nice set of stripes?)

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
d+

·
Registered
100 Posts
d. and stripes DO make you go faster..... I pity your poor wife, imagine what happens when she finds out your having an affair?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Andy,

I think you crossed into stupid when you removed the biscuit seats, but to each his own.

And as to stripes, the only time they look good on Nightfall Blue is when you have Craftsquare mirrors. I know for a fact, my friend, that you do NOT have those mirrors (since you sold them to me, anyway)...

Attachments

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
D. Unless you’re stupid for not upgrading to a supercharger yet. Don’t worry about not gaining the 30% you spent on the car and fun in 2013.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
You went over the edge somewhere in the middle of that first track day. Maybe middle of the next day at latest. Even though the mods and all flowed more heavily thereafter, the condition was established, your will to resist gone.

Have you a trailer and tow vehicle yet? Club membership? Track side condo? Been to the 'Ring? Done Austin yet?

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
(A) for sure.... but I did 25 track days in 2013, so you would really be stupid if you listened to me.

Also, stripes are good for 5 - 10hp at least.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
E.........Definetly E!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey Andy,

How about (f) -- not stupid, but crazy :p

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Andy,

I think you crossed into stupid when you removed the biscuit seats, but to each his own.

And as to stripes, the only time they look good on Nightfall Blue is when you have Craftsquare mirrors. I know for a fact, my friend, that you do NOT have those mirrors (since you sold them to me, anyway)...
Hey James, those mirrors look sick! Love the stripes too, I may steal the idea.

FBob, I'll stick with plain old stupid.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Andy, thanks for such a good read.

If you can afford it and you're having fun, it's fine.

I would have suggested Bertil Roos school after or during the 1st year.

I did that class and am sure you will have a great time and learn a lot that will make you a better driver on roads and tracks.

Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You went over the edge somewhere in the middle of that first track day. Maybe middle of the next day at latest. Even though the mods and all flowed more heavily thereafter, the condition was established, your will to resist gone.

Have you a trailer and tow vehicle yet? Club membership? Track side condo? Been to the 'Ring? Done Austin yet?

No trailer, though V2 Motorsports offered to make me a little aero two wheeler to tow tires. Right now it's self-carry and maybe get friends to haul some wheels for me.

I will get a chance to drive at VIR next month at Bertil Roos in their single seaters. Road America in July in the Lotus. Between that the usual fun short tracks around Michigan. I couldn't quite keep up with Formulabob last year but this year's another story!

·
Registered
978 Posts
a. for sure. No one in their right mind buys a Lotus. Those of us that have bought more than one are certifiable -eek-

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I really can't comment. I have setup 2 cars, mine and my girlfriends. And now we both have superchargers (and thank god, I hated driving hers when it was NA)

My only hesitation is we have identical VF2's and she has less aero so she might be faster in the straights than me. There will be no living with her ;)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Z = you haven't even started yet. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're just very dedicated Andy. That's how I look at it, but I have a drawer full of receipts for parts for my Elan and it still needs body work and paint.

I wonder if I met you last summer at the Autozone bookstore in Birmingham, MI . Does you Elise have some orange accents?

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts