The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my Exige it came equipped with soft-top compatibility (and the soft-top itself). I've had the car for about 2.5 years now and haven't used it once. I either go hard top on or no top at all. I live in LA where there's no chance of being caught in unexpected rain, so I'm questioning whether it's even worth hanging onto.

Any fellow Exige owners have use cases I'm not thinking about that would give reason to keeping and using this thing?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in Spain and in Summer (now) I use the car without hardtop (I don't have soft top) because it is so hot here and also I enjoy a lot the air in my head. The problem is of you want to do anything like going shopping, having launch or something that you have to leave the car without anything.

I purchase your soft top

Enviado desde mi M2011K2G mediante Tapatalk

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,982 Posts
I want a soft top pretty bad because we get pop up showers out of the blue but I can't justify the price of a soft top so I have the hard top on almost all the time!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
my 240s lives in San Diego, it didn’t come with a soft top or rear eyes for the soft top roof bars but I picked up a second hand soft top and installed the roof bars inserts. The reason was that in the summer, early morning ”topless” runs into the mountains can end up in the desert and I fit the soft top so that I can run the air con on the way home.….rain wasn’t the issue.

·
2006 Exige
931 Posts
Any fellow Exige owners have use cases I'm not thinking about that would give reason to keeping and using this thing?
I think the only time it could be useful is on a multiday trip when you want to drive with the top off. Then if there is unexpected rain, you're good.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Since my hard top is usually only on for track days, I'm topless when driving on the street. So, I use my soft top whenever I park the car to make the car safe from the environment.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Does the softop fit in the exige trunk/boot? Mine is still in the box from when I bout it, I've never fitted it to the car, or attempted to put in in the trunk.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Does the softop fit in the exige trunk/boot? Mine is still in the box from when I bout it, I've never fitted it to the car, or attempted to put in in the trunk.
Yes, it fits in the boot. But I always just kept mine rolled up behind the seats. Did that with the Elises, too, for that matter.

As for its use, I used it the same way I used the soft top on the Elise. I kept it with me in the event of rain, chilly weather, or if I was going to park the car somewhere for a bit.

Everybody pondering this: while you've got the hard top off, get your Dremel and enlarge the opening in the part of the scoop on the roll hoop. There is a good quarter inch lip all the way around the opening you can grind off. The air flow through even the mohawk is limited enough, this opens up several square inches for at least a little more air flow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it fits in the boot. But I always just kept mine rolled up behind the seats. Did that with the Elises, too, for that matter.

As for its use, I used it the same way I used the soft top on the Elise. I kept it with me in the event of rain, chilly weather, or if I was going to park the car somewhere for a bit.

Everybody pondering this: while you've got the hard top off, get your Dremel and enlarge the opening in the part of the scoop on the roll hoop. There is a good quarter inch lip all the way around the opening you can grind off. The air flow through even the mohawk is limited enough, this opens up several square inches for at least a little more air flow.
Could you explain (maybe in another thread, so as not to disturb here) the process you mention?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Could you explain (maybe in another thread, so as not to disturb here) the process you mention?

I'm not sure how I can explain it further, without pics. I no longer have the car so I can't take any.

If you take the roof off, look at where the scoop flows onto the roll hoop, the part over over the windshield. Look at the opening. You will see a lip around the inside of the opening, about a quarter inch, all the way around the opening. Simply grind that off. It's not visible once the roof is back on.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'm sure it's been said, but...

I have the soft-top setup for my car. Pre-kids my wife and I took an overnight trip, and wanted to run the car without a top. Having the soft-top was nice for parking it overnight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts