fine

yes

depends

:D

sorry, i cant help you further because i dont have an elise :(

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It's fine in the rain, just keep in mind you don't have all season tires and also that hydroplaning is a possibility if your tires are worn. The car typically doesn't leak while moving, but when stationary, opening the doors will result in water dripping off the roof onto the black plastic covering the chassis sides (and also serving as an arm rest). A few drops may leak into a parked car. If parked on an incline, water may leak into the trunk on some cars.

It kicks up some cool rooster tails from the rear tires due to the short overhang back there. :)

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
The ride and fear factor depends on the tires, have a look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, they pretty much rule for inexpensive Summer rain tires. Leaks? That depends on each individual car.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...with decent street tires, it's perfectly drivable in the rain, in fact i've been daily driving mine the past couple days in heavy rain...as the owner's manual states, the interior was designed to withstand mild moisture intrusion from time to time, and any water drops on the sills are easily brushed off when i climb in...

...some folks' experiences have varied, but i've done just fine driving topless in the rain, too - as long as i keep moving at a reasonable speed, the wind keeps water out of my car...of course, if you come to a stop at an intersection while topless, you're going to get a little rain in the cockpit, but nothing worrisome as long as it's only a momentary pause during light sprinkles, just like walking outside...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Speaking from experience, track days in the pouring rain where you have to keep both windows down will lead to serious interior flooding - my car took a good week to dry out :nanner2:

My roof, on the other hand, has never leaked in 3 years of daily driving :clap:

·
Registered
142 Posts
It will shrink and you won't be able to get out without jaws of lif

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes, the jaws of lif, from Nibelheim, found in Final Fantasy VII rotfl. jk, but from what i hear the soft top doesn't leak if handled properly, and you could always buy some product of another to prevent it. They market one for the M3 (Also reduces squeaking i think) but idk bout the elise.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My AO48s were good in the rain until they became worn, now I need to replace them so I'm a bit more cautious when in the rain. I was really cautious when in the snow.

Even so, I still think if you'll be street driving in the rain a lot you should consider a street tire instead of a performance tire.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My AO48s were good in the rain until they became worn, now I need to replace them so I'm a bit more cautious when in the rain. I was really cautious when in the snow.

Even so, I still think if you'll be street driving in the rain a lot you should consider a street tire instead of a performance tire.
I've skated in rain and snow on well-worn AD07s and decided that with the S/C it deserved better for daily all-weather driving. I'm using Sumitomo HTR Z IIs on Rota Slipstreams (205/45R16 83W on front, 245/40R17 91W on back). This combination gives the same size height and revs per mile as OE within .02% and doesn't confuse the ABS.

I'm saving my AD07s (newer now) for the track and the Sumis are just fine for daily all-weather use...now that the mold-release has worn off the tread -- took around 300 miles.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There is compromised visibility in heavy rain because, at least in traffic, all of the SUVs kick up water exactly at eye-level in the Lotus. I also don't feel it handles as well in heavy rain but I used to run slicks on the rear.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
THIS IS AN ENGLISH CAR!!! Its fine in the rain. If you don't mind getting wet. Or sliding around. I drove my S1 in the UK all the time in the rain. Had an inch of water sitting in the leather seats at one point when the cover blew off. Dried out fine.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You guys might not believe that there are areas in the world where chances of driving in the rain are higher than 50%. Welcome to Germany. :)

Seriously: the soft top does not leak at all and the overall feeling of driving the Elise is quite good - with traction control. Hydroplaning is not a big factor unless the tires are worn, probably because the front tires are not very wide.

The only real bad point to me is the fact that the brakes cool down quickly and/or need a second to have the water film removed when applying them after a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Tires like the A048 are not good in the rain.

Some people are saying they're good until worn down a lot, but that's relative. Maybe they're good in the sense that there are a couple other tires that will kill you faster. Even when new - let's face it - it has very large flat blocks of tread. It's like a slick with a couple of zig-zag grooves cut into it. Even when new, it is not going to approach the water depth capability of something like the GSD3 or other performance tire designed for serious water evacuation.

Now if you're on a good crowned road with adequate drainage so that the water depth never gets thicker than a film even in a downpour, you'll be okay. Any deeper than a film and you start to risk hydroplaning. Of course it depends on the depth of the water and your speed.

I accidentally got caught on a dark highway in heavy rain one night. Was following CodyMac somewhere. He was in the lead because he has the driving lights. It was horrible. We were going about 30mph, with the occasional 18-wheeler thundering past tossing water on us. It was hard to see which way the road turned next. There was standing water here, there, and everywhere.

In my F250 that's a set of conditions I can comfortably cruise 65mph in.

In the Lotus at 30mph CodyMac and I were both white as ghosts with fear. Several times either of us or both of us would find ourselves barely regaining control before going off the road.

You're basically riding in a very light weight car on a set of water skis. Please be careful.

xtn

·
Registered
63 Posts
The first time I drove mine in the rain it was a little scary :panic: and it was leaking a little (hard top) :eek: but the second day I got used to it and now nothing is going to stop me from driving my Elise :no: I love my car!!! :shrug: i don't want to drive my Excursion even in the rain :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts