The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I hope you have something taking the weight on the front of the boards besides the windshield frame. There is not much holding that on besides the glue and the windshield. You are not supposed to use the windshield to help yourself get in and out because you can damage it and I imagine you could apply a lot more force with a few surfboards and the wind blowing on them while driving.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
"when the elise is your only car.... "
it's time to buy a beater...

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow, didn't take long for the killjoys to appear.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That.......looks stupid. Not something to brag about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont want to start a flame war but im pretty interested in chucks point. (vampyre, i live in sf, there are a ton of additional costs to a second car that i cant afford. wish i could. want to park, insure, and lend me that rainier?)

i imagine that at 155mph the down force on the windshield has to be a few hundred pounds. strapping something to the windshield is also very different then using it as a handhold when getting out. remember, force = mass x acceleration, so its very different when you pull yourself up. a 150lb guy could easily generate more then 150lbs of force when pulling themselves up. ive seen threads about this damage, but i imagine that is either a defect or has something to do with how fast (force) people are pulling themselves out. not saying its a good idea, just think its a misinterpretation of the physics.

also, surfboards will fly off the car if you dont strap them down. they apply lift. so its not the windshield im worried about, its my 5 point harness mount!

·
Registered
39 Posts
yah I would think the surfboards would definitely apply lift while youre driving the elise, and i dont think that lift is gonna pull the windshield off your car rotfl

anyways, nice mods on the elise =D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
People have done this before... don't worry about all the people trying to get you down. The Elise looks good with a surfboard on top.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I usually put my surfboard nose first on the passenger footwell covered by a towel. It works you just gotta be careful getting the surfboard in and out.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Surfboards don't weigh much.

It's what is in the passenger seat that is important.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, and I thought I had a hard time seeing the stop lights. Can't imagine how hard it is with those babies hanging in front of you vision.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well done, I often throw my golf clubs in the pass seat of mine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bravo! Very creative! :clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts