The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been thinking(dangerous, I know), lately, what is going to happen to the world once oil is no more. Not, "there is oil in the ground, it will take time to extract/find it, though", I mean, "Up for auction is a gallon of rare sweet crude oil".

Everyone is focused on electric cars, but what is going to happen to jets, trans Atlantic travel, and travel in general. How will people heat their homes? What wars will be fought over this?

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You could run anything that runs on diesel (like a jet) on biodiesel. It could also be used for heating oil. Not total solution by a long shot, but it's one thing that can help.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Well, it's not going to happen overnight. The cost of the ever increasingly rare fuel will push R&D forward on alternative fuels. Imagine the money a company could make developing an alternative fuel when a gallon of pump gas costs $20.

I put my faith in science. :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ill buy a paddle boat, and a fishing rod. and get the hell away from everyone. because when this happens sh*t will hit the fan! and i would not want to blow up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Everyone will be living "off grid" if we lose oil and we have no "Plan B". I also suggest "investing" in firearms and ammunition, those are always "recession proof" :D

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I've just been thinking(dangerous, I know), lately, what is going to happen to the world once oil is no more. Not, "there is oil in the ground, it will take time to extract/find it, though", I mean, "Up for auction is a gallon of rare sweet crude oil".

Everyone is focused on electric cars, but what is going to happen to jets, trans Atlantic travel, and travel in general. How will people heat their homes? What wars will be fought over this?

What do you think?
where's the 'lectric for the 'lectric cars that everyone is so ga-ga over gonna come from?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where's the 'lectric for the 'lectric cars that everyone is so ga-ga over gonna come from?
There is still coal, which will still be around. The thing is, with energy supplies ever decreasing. Law makers will be forced to reduce emission standards(constituents will want energy over clean air, bet on it).

And to anyone who thinks ethanol is a viable solution. Even if we ignore the fact that if we convert all farms for ethanol corn production, it still wont even make a dent in our required amount, the corn is fermented by means of energy derived by coal/oil. Net loss, ftl.

·
Registered
852 Posts
and then we can fly in luxury but not have enough food to eat.

converting food into energy (outside the human body) is a losing proposition.

look at the price of wheat and corn over the last twelve months. :eek:
Woah Ace. . . I didnt say it was a good idea. . . just that it had been done.

Fuels like ethanol are completely inefficient and many take more energy to make than they produce. Plus the pollution that is made to make ethanol (they use coal to make it) outweighs the benefits of using it in cars. I think the best alternative is hydrogen fuel cells personally. . .

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Looking forward to it...

it will get most of the @#$!! idiot drivers off the road.
:D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
By then we will have transporter devices and space time warp fields so it won't matter. :p
I plan on just going back in time whenever I need to fill the tank or just swapping out for a cold fusion engine that runs on water.
We should have planned better for our future though. We could have been making compost and burying it all this time and could have been set a million years from now. Chances are we will kill each other before then anyway when things start getting scarce. Wars have been fought over less important things.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If we put solar collectors on every house and building we could provide all of the power and heat needed. The price will come down for this technology if the price of oil, coal, gas get high enough and the economy of scale kicks in. Of course, how the gas and electric company's will get their money, I don't know, but it will happen. Even cars could have solar collectors if we figure out how to harness it and charge the batteries.

But the money has to be there to interest the funding guys. Once we get this going, the remaining oil, coal, and gas supplies will last quite some time, of course, at $20 per gallon of gasoline.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If we put solar collectors on every house and building we could provide all of the power and heat needed. The price will come down for this technology if the price of oil, coal, gas get high enough and the economy of scale kicks in. Of course, how the gas and electric company's will get their money, I don't know, but it will happen. Even cars could have solar collectors if we figure out how to harness it and charge the batteries.

But the money has to be there to interest the funding guys. Once we get this going, the remaining oil, coal, and gas supplies will last quite some time, of course, at $20 per gallon of gasoline.
How are the solar panels made, what are they made of, and will it be possible to even do this?

I'm a big fan of solar power, but it's really quite expensive and definitely not "carbon" free.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yep.......jet engines will run on just about anything.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If we put solar collectors on every house and building we could provide all of the power and heat needed. The price will come down for this technology if the price of oil, coal, gas get high enough and the economy of scale kicks in.
Yep. And it's a good thing that it doesn't take any energy or plastics (oil) to make those solar collectors that we are going to cover the world with either. ;)

Seriously, adding solar collectors to houses to generate power is a good idea, but nothing comes for free.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts