The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I month ago, we picked up a portable 12,000btu A/C (Sears) for our small home. $549 + tax. It was cool, just plug it in, install a well executed flex hose to the window for venting heat. It was a hassle to get it home (our cars were small, box large). We used it minimally, since my wife and I are at work most of the time. Well today the internals blew-up, spitting out plastic fan blades out of the unit and making horrible ear-splitting noise!

We took it back today and Sears happily gave a new AC. Another hassle getting it home and hooked up. An hour of cooling, this new one blew-up, just as the old one! :mad:And this is a really hot/humid weeked.

This machine will be returned tomorrow and a I assume Sears will refund the money. There's NO-WAY that i'll try number 3! My patience has ended. We'll shop somewhere else.

This brings up the Lotus story of multiple repairs that never cures the original problem (Patrick's '06 Elise). It's nice that Sears is big enough to stand by the stuff they sell and the refund/exchange policy is good. Too bad Lotus doesn't stand behind Patrick's Lemon, give him a refund or replace it with a new one.

--Hal

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would say that it shouldn't stop you from doing business with Sears and just stop buying that company's appliances..

And a manufacturer will not do a lemon buyback without Patrick hiring an attorney. If the manufacturer loses the case ( I highly doubt they'd even let it go into court but you never know..) they'd cover the attorney's fees as well...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
that sucks Hal, not quite sure what brand you have, but i used to use a KENWOOD brand A/C like what you had...at first at home, then when i moved to a place with central air, i used it at my shop...no problems with it at all, i mean i dont like the heat, so i used it very very often, the only hassle was emptying the water that get accumulated every couple hours or so

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Why I avoid Sears

I would say that it shouldn't stop you from doing business with Sears and just stop buying that company's appliances..
OK - You got me going, here is my story...

Back in '90 I got a call from the wife. The muffler dropped off the car about a mile from home.
I picked her up and found that the pipe split around the firewall wherethe pipes come together.
So I got some hose clamps an old V8 can (even though it was an inline 4) and some coat hangers. Wrapped it with the can and wired it up... Still noisy but not as bad, and not dragging.

Sunday I called around to find a welder - but all places were closed - it was Sunday.
So I tried Sears.
Me> Do you have a welder in today?
Sears> Yeah we have a welder.
Me> Is he in today and doing welding?
Sears> Yeah
Me> What's your name?
Sears> why do you ask?
Me> If I come down and he isn't there, then I want to know who to see.
Sears> My name is XXX, and yeah He's here - so come-on down
<20 minute drive to Sears>
Sears> Go into the store and come back in an hour and we will have your estimate.
Me> I just want it welded - just needs a bead around the pipe.
Sears> We have to do an estimate first, its our rules...
<Sitting down in the shop with infant in car seat>
<tick-tock and hour goes by - hear sound of car with open exhaust>
Sears> You have to get it done at the dealer
Me> Whoa - to the guy who had it up on the hoist - what do you mean? I just want to get it welded
Sears> It should be covered free at the dealer
Me> Yeah but I want it done today and not dck around half the week
Sears guy doing the work on the hoist> (hemming and hawing) Well our welder is not in today.
Me (Starting to rant like a f'ken lunatic) at the guy who said yeah -we can do it on the phone>... Do you think I wanted to drag my daughter down here and sit for an hour?... When I come back you're f'ked - I want you to know that now, so that you will know why... When does this place close anyhow?
Sears> aaaah <Sometime>.
Me> nodding head slowly... Looking like a maniac.

I cooled off on the way home... and didn't go back.
But I would have been nervous if someone said that to me with the highly agitated state I was in.

I vowed I would never shop at Sears again. But I did set foot in there once when the misses had the kiddy pictures taken in '93... But never again after that. I even got rid of most of my craftsman tools.

They had a class action suit a few years after that for running people around making them shop while delaying their car repairs.

I should have gotten over this, but I still have total disgust for Sears, and do not hesitate to avoid then and share my story.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Yep, I bought a washer/dryer for one of my condos that I rent out and it broke in 9 months. It was under warranty and for 3 months no1 fixed it so i was forced to just go ahead and buy another 1 because of the tenants. That broke down in 6 months(also under warranty). Sears wont fix it either. They send repair men who dont know anything and they say:"I need to order a part i'll be back when it comes in the mail."(it comes like 3 weeks later and its the "wrong part" every time. So thats why I'm not paying my sears bill.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts