The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm in for my 15K service tomorrow (I'm only at 12,500, but I'm having another issue looked at, so they are doing the 15K while it's there). I'm now into two years of ownership (no track time), and was wondering if I should have the gear oil changed at this point. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i wouldn't.

i like your choice of cars

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you beat on it yes, if you just drive it around normal then you shouldn't need to. If you do change it I would definitely put in some Red Line MT90. All the reviews I've seen on here say it's great and much better than what come in it from the factory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, I guess I will let it go until at least next year in that case. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either, so I should be fine.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
If you beat on it yes, if you just drive it around normal then you shouldn't need to. If you do change it I would definitely put in some Red Line MT90. All the reviews I've seen on here say it's great and much better than what come in it from the factory.
Agreed. However, I'd say that your choice of Royal Purple is just as good as the Redline, but many times it's more expensive.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Fabulous,

Now you need to add an Italian, I think TdF Blue would do nicely with the colors you have now.

Thanks, me too. :clap::up:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work as a test analyst for a bearing manufacturer. The company I work for supplies bearings to the automotive OEM's, including Toyota. Knowing about the breaking in of bearings and other components in transmissions I recommend changing the gear oil early in the life of the transmission. Another reason to change gear oil early is to get any contamination out of the transmission that might have gotten in there during assembly. I changed the gear oil in my Elise at 7500 miles and am glad I didn't do it any later. I used Red Line MT-90 and am happy with it. Changing the gear oil is easy especially if you do it when you are changing the engine oil. For me, the cost and time it takes to change the gear oil is cheap compared to the cost of repairing the transmission.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I changed mine at 2000 miles just to get the Japanese dino oil and crud out, and put in some good synthetic. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W/90. In a recent gear lube test, it came out on top.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, considering the cost and how easy it is, I'm just going to take care of it myself in the next week or so. Thanks!

Bleu -- I like your thinking, and thanks. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts