The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus recommends a minimum thickness of 26MM for brake rotors. Anything less and they should be replaced. Looking at some other track forums, it seems some people just run rotors until they crack or otherwise fail. Since mine are a hair over 26MM in thickness, I was wondering how long I can run them for.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Lotus recommends a minimum thickness of 26MM for brake rotors. Anything less and they should be replaced. Looking at some other track forums, it seems some people just run rotors until they crack or otherwise fail. Since mine are a hair over 26MM in thickness, I was wondering how long I can run them for.
24.9MM is the service minimum as stated in the service manual, they start out at 26MM
I've never had a rotor crack, I've scored them by running out of pad though.:wallbang:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
OE rotors are 26mm when new. they have reached the end of their recomended service life at 24mm. you shoud see the 24 cast into the bell on the rotor.

if you have measured the rotors at their narrowest point and have come up with >26mm, then your micrometer is in need of calibration, or you need stronger glasses. ;)

24.9mm (as seen in service manual) is incorrect. they misprinted the specs from the S1 elise.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing wrong with my micrometer but there is something wrong with my memory. I meant to say 24MM instead of 26MM. Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
24.9mm (as seen in service manual) is incorrect. they misprinted the specs from the S1 elise.
I wonder how many people have prematurely replaced their rotors.

I didn't realize there was a misprint in the earlier version of the service manual, and was just about to order new front rotors (mine are right at 24.9 mm). I just checked the latest service manual from Lotus's web site, and it does indeed say 24.0 mm now.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know there are many factors, but is there any guess at how long the rotors last in mileage? 15-20k? 20-30k?
I am on my original set of rotors and have 38K miles on the car. The front rotors are down to 24.9 mm. Rotor life is also very dependent on how much and how hard you brake, and the brake pads you use. I drive a lot of twisty mountain roads pretty hard with a good amount of braking for tight curves (my commute to work is on such a road), and do a few club111 autocrosses each year. I haven't done track days, so my brakes have never seen the kind of heat that a tracked car would have. The original brake pads lasted about 15K miles, and I have been using the Porterfield R4-S pads ever since. These pads are easy on rotors, but I don't like the their poor initial bite. The front pads are getting low, but have a little life left. I plan on going to Pagid Blues next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts