The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need pads very shortly and I'm not sure when I should be replacing my rotors. The car has 19k miles and just finished the first set of pads. Can the rotors last through two sets of pads?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Yes, they can.

Do your rotors look cracked at all? Do they look excessively worn? Take a picture and post it and we can probably give you an idea.

It doesn't sound like you are pushing the car very hard. 24K miles for me, and I've probably gone through 6 sets of pads and three sets of rotors, but I tend to drive the car the way Lotus built it to be driven.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The minimum rotor thickness is 24 milimeters. Go to your local auto parts store, buy a capiler and measure the rotor thickness. That way you can be sure you are not replacing your rotors too soon or keeping them longer than is safe. I am on the third set of pads on mine, and there is still some rotor life left.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just to give you a data point, I have about 39,000 miles on my car, do a lot of braking on my daily commute on a twisty road, have just about worn out two sets of front pads (already purchased my third set), and the front rotor minimum thickness is currently at 24.9 mm. It starts at 26 mm when new, and need to be replaced at 24 mm.

There is no substitute for measuring the rotor thickness and inspecting them for cracks and uneveness. Remember that the inner radius portion of the rotor wears more slowly than the outer. Make sure you get a caliper that will properly measure brake rotors - that is, it will get over the lip at the outer edge to measure the wear area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts