The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I don't see the 4 digit code on the tire that makes sense. I understand that the first 2 numbers indicate the week, and the last 2 refer to the year.
On my 2006 Elise, the front tires have these: V43V, 2952, and the rears: V4H8, 2948.
How do you interpret those?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
The date code is normally the last 4 digits of the DOT code.

·
Scott M
240 Posts
Those don't look like date codes- at least not US DOT ones. For a number of tires I've checked, I needed to look on the inner sidewall as it didn't appear to be stamped/molded on the outside.

That being said... The OE rubber on my 12 year old 2003 Esprit (when I bought it) was from the pre-standard era. All I was sure of was they were at least from 1999 because the code didn't exist.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As noted above, it is usually found on the inside. You will also find it is essentially a "stamped" number in that it is not raised digits that stay with the tire, but as they are changed weekly, it's like it is stamped into a box often not level, etc.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It is not a pairs issue, every DOT tire is required to have the date code. It will be on one side or the other of each tire in a small oval.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Also I believe tires are sold in pairs and only one of the 2 tires will have the code.

Was this a joke? As if no one ever bought a single tire??

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
It was not a joke but I was wrong. Sorry about that.

I think I had this code very prominently on one tire but not on the other tire. Looking back though (and googling) it seems it has to be on both tires. However the code can be with a few letters + week + year or just week + year. I vaguely remember the two tires differed in that regard.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Here's some background on DOT numbers/code on every US sold tires - GOLDEN GATE LOTUS CLUB - Tire Sidewalls

"The DOT number is laden with information, DOT XT VE XKAw 09xx.

The obvious is DOT, Department of Transportation, but next is XT. The two letters or numbers following "DOT" refer to the manufacturer and the factory location at which the tire was made, in this case Pirelli's factory in Sandbach, West Germany. The "VE" is a typical letter-number combination that refers to the specific mold used for forming the tire. The "XKAw" can mean anything, likely batch codes. And the final numbers refer to the date when the tire was made. In the case of our example "09" is the ninth week of "xx", where "xx" can either be a single digit if the tire was made prior to 2000 or 2 digits if after 2000. The "xx" is the year. A single "7" would be 1997, "03" would be 2003."

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts