The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I am slowing getting all the parts I need to add four gauges to the MX2E (oil temp, oil press, intake air temp, boost temp)
I understand the oil temp and oil pressure sensor bit (add sandwich plate between block and filter).
Just so I do not place the air gauges in the wrong place do the pressure and air temp sensors go on the cool side or the hot side? Is the cool side piping on the left or the right when you are staring at engine from the back of the car forwards?
I am getting a bunch of hardware to accommodate the sensors.
My idea was to use a kit they sell online to add a port to silicone hose.
Unfortunately this looks way too big (accepts 1/2 NPT into 1/8 NPT).
Can I disrupt the air flow so much it makes performance worse with really bulky sensor hardware?
How would you guy add the air temp and boost sensors?

thanks everyone
Louis

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Hi everyone
I am slowing getting all the parts I need to add four gauges to the MX2E (oil temp, oil press, intake air temp, boost temp)
I understand the oil temp and oil pressure sensor bit (add sandwich plate between block and filter).
Just so I do not place the air gauges in the wrong place do the pressure and air temp sensors go on the cool side or the hot side? Is the cool side piping on the left or the right when you are staring at engine from the back of the car forwards?
I am getting a bunch of hardware to accommodate the sensors.
My idea was to use a kit they sell online to add a port to silicone hose.
Unfortunately this looks way too big (accepts 1/2 NPT into 1/8 NPT).
Can I disrupt the air flow so much it makes performance worse with really bulky sensor hardware?
How would you guy add the air temp and boost sensors?

thanks everyone
Louis
It looks to me the sensor is located on the passenger (right) side. Double check and see which side feeds the intake manifold.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would install the IAT sensor on the cool side of the IC as that's a representation of the air temps prior to going into the engine; the cool side will be the side feeding your intake manifold. Boost gauge doesn't matter too much, but be cognizant that post IC intercooler you will see less boost due to the pressure loss associated with going through the core.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Personally I'd put TMAP sensors on both sides so you can also track heatsoak/intercooler effectiveness.

·
He's on fire!
3,403 Posts
"cool side" is the right answer. Plus hotside is nice for confirming a problem already known, that can be reasonably inferred to be occurring when IAT's get too high.

·
Registered
258 Posts
problem is on a 2007 with the MX2E you are very limited to what data you can display.
Correctamundo.

Very limited data over CanBus on 2007.

However, if you can get your hands on a 2008 ECU (like I did) you can get a lot more data, and it's plug and chug. You will get a TPMS fault you can't clear or disable, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts