The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, another mundane post.

I dont like dealer emblems on my car. Not on the front, not on the back. I also dont want anything drilled or stuck on my car before I pick it up. I havent asked my dealer about this yet.

I dont mind a license plate surround I guess....but thats about it.

Anyone else?

Anyone seen the LOA cars? Do they emblem them up?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. Glad to hear LOA doesnt.

I bet some of the dealers out there will try and get by with it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think the whole dealer emblems on cars is an east coast thing. I've never seen a car on the west coast with a dealer logo on it. I always thought that was strange.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dealer emblems definitely would be unwelcome.

I expect the dealer to place a license plate holder on the back with their advertising on it. First thing to come off. I will do without a frame or find a nice Lotus themed frame to use.

I plan to ask for no drilling on the front license plate holder. Yes, they are required in California. No, I don't plan to use mine. I've been noticing that many cars (not just sports cars, either) do without. When I got stopped in the Miata last year, it cost me $20 for a fix-it ticket (no charge for the ticket, but administrative red-tape cost me). I can afford that a few times.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I dont like dealer emblems on my car. Not on the front, not on the back. I also dont want anything drilled or stuck on my car before I pick it up.
I have always considered these things an abomination, placing a cheesy ass logo on a $40 K car.

From a guy's perspective, it's like putting a brand on a supermodel's rump & calling it an improvement. Nutso.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Removing the dealer emblem was the first upgrade on my celica. I think the logo lasted 3 days on my car. I even went so far as to remove all the toyota and model emblems as well...made the car look cleaner. I wasnt going to advertise for toyota for free :)

If lotus hadnt decided to keep the lotus wording on the back of the elise, I probably would have removed the emblem.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Removing the dealer emblem was the first upgrade on my celica. I think the logo lasted 3 days on my car. I even went so far as to remove all the toyota and model emblems as well...made the car look cleaner.
How did you go about repairing the finish?

If lotus hadnt decided to keep the lotus wording on the back of the elise, I probably would have removed the emblem.
Same here.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Tell your dealer long before he preps the car that no dealer stick-ons of any kind are allowed! In fact I tell the dealer not to wash or wax the exterior as they almost always put swirl marks in the paint!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I hate the things and have always told the dealer "no emblems" when I closed the deal. If they want to pay me, I would consider advertising for them :p

Now I am buying my car from some real enthusiasts at Hunting Ridge. Based on my dealings to date, if they put on a license frame, I may leave it because I would not mind advertising for them.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Ok, another mundane post.

I dont like dealer emblems on my car. Not on the front, not on the back. I also dont want anything drilled or stuck on my car before I pick it up. I havent asked my dealer about this yet.

I dont mind a license plate surround I guess....but thats about it.

Anyone else?

Anyone seen the LOA cars? Do they emblem them up?
When I bought my BMW I noticed a sticker on the back of the car the day I went to pick it up. I told them that if they didn't take it off, I wouldn't buy the car. They took it off faster than I could blink an eye.

·
Registered
178 Posts
no label at MAG

One thing that impressed me at MAG was their policy of only providing a license frame with their name. They also understand about front plate ugliness. My salesman showed me how they had fabricated removeable front license brackets that mount where the removeable tow hooks mount on some cars. Also told me of a used car they had sold, (I think it was an Aston Martin) that the buyer refused because the previous owner had put two tiny holes in the front bumper fascia to mount the plate. Always good to buy from real car people.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
The ones I really hate are the those who drill the front bumper, spoiler, clam to put a license plate holder and their advert plate on it. KS does not require a front plate and many dealers put their emblem there.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
babak said:
KS does not require a front plate and many dealers put their emblem there.
Tell me all about it - I had to order a $50 rubber front end trim piece for my 330xi because I didn't want to run the dealer's "plate" - which was integrated into the stock rubber piece.

Much cleaner looking. I *DO* like the tiny custom ELISE front license plate/molding on our 111R's though...

Hmmm...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
darkSol said:
Tell me all about it - I had to order a $50 rubber front end trim piece for my 330xi because I didn't want to run the dealer's "plate" - which was integrated into the stock rubber piece.

I once refused to take delivery of a new A4 because the dealer drilled the front bumper and hung their plate on it after I had specifically asked them to not do it. Made them replace the bumper. It's out of control here, emblem on the back, license plate and then one on the front. Sheesh. Where are you on the wait list?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Get "no emblems" written into final contract

I'm happy for a dealer to provide a rear license plate frame if they wish, especially if they've treated me well during the purchase process. However, I always make it very clear that I will not accept any other badges or stickers on a vehicle. Things can still go wrong though...:) My brother-in-law had an interesting experience with a Jag dealer. Managed to get the car (XJ6) delivered with no badges as requested, but when he put the car in for service some "genius" there decided they had just forgotten to attach their dealer badges, so they drilled the trunk lid and put one on. :rolleyes: Words were exchanged, many of them quite unpleasant. IIRC, he made them order a new trunk lid to replace the drilled one.

[EDIT] Just to clarify, I want the Lotus badging, just no dealer badges.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Excellent thread, Thanks!

I'm probably an example of over-zealous in this area. James A, I'm with you buddy! I take it one further, clean the interior all you want but to not touch the exterior of.........MY CAR. Buffing, wax, whatever, my eye and my products in a controlled environment or my body guy that I trust..... ONLY!!! I went to the extent on my Supra TT to remove (shave) all emblems, forms of I.D.. It was fun to see how few had any clue what it was. It cost me big. The wheels were an obvious aftermarket to the SSR Competitions (hope we get fitment for the elise?) to replace the hokey toyota "bull" centercaps. But I did the front and rear Toyota emblems to discover drill holes as well as adhesive. Had to fill the right way, bodywork, paint blend, blah, blah. A BMW has so much on the exterior you would think they are trying to have the registration externally available? Took off the propellors and numbers and letters? Again, paint, body, paint, blah, blah. I won't even comment on dealer graffitti. If anyone drills holes in an Elise in the U.S. and they aren't putting on a bitchin' stage two exhaust or some vicious track upgrade, they should be hung! I've never used dental floss for the the less invasive dealer stickies? My body guy uses mineral spirits and soft clothe/buff pad. I think the LOTUS is something to be proud of. But I'm torn to leave it? Is anyone else considering taking off at least the rear letters if not the front?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts