The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 300 miles, my factory warranty ('05 Elise) will expire.
My Lotus has 35,700 miles!
The former owner purchased an "extended warranty" when he bought the car from Smith Lotus dealership. ("Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc., Gold Plus") This warranty will last 60k miles or 1.5 yrs, which comes first. The warranty was transferred to me.

What are your thoughts about the extended warranties? Are the worth it?
Especially the high repair cost of a Lotus. :confused:When this warranty expires, should I purchase another one?:shrug:

--Hal

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm in the same boat I used to sell extended warranties when I was much younger. Don't do it they wont cover much and it'll cost about 2k. The engine and drive train are so simple that you will be able to fix most things yourself. If someone quotes you a ridiculously expensive repair bill walk out the door and some place else.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I got the extended warranty and have found it useless thus far.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think I'm too ready to tinker with the car to count on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My warranty ran out last September, as my car was one of the first ones sold. I took the chance and did not buy one, as most of them are expensive and useless when it comes to the real issues these cars can have. Instead of putting $1-2k into a warranty, why not take the money and invest it. If issues come up, use that money to take care of it. If they don't, then it's time for those Lotus Cup wheels you've always wanted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mod the car if you can cover repairs if things should go wrong. If you aren't comfortable with that...time to trade up for a newer model with a full warranty imo
:popcorn:

·
Registered
261 Posts
What do I.... DO.....?

Things like this!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thank you :)

I had to strap her it there. I cant just let such a valuable passenger flop about in the cabin can I?

Back to the subject of the warranty. In most cases the components that fail will cost far less than an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What do I do? Supercharge!

Well, mine will leave this summer at 2500 miles!

So, I now have a S/C non-warranteed Elise ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Intresting about warranties. I will buy an Elise in the next 30 days or so and I have had a hard time getting warranty info. The internest has 100k warranties but will not take a Lotus. It seems the factory will extend the warranty for 5 years/60k. The time will run out way before you hit the miles. Is there a 7 year/75k or something out there? Like all of us I need time not miles. Any or all thought are needed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For the most part they will only cover drive train and lets be honest it's a 2zz and they can be found in mass from multiple cars. The engine and trans are not going to go to junk after 36k even with the most stupid of drivers and poor maintenance. You will find that the supporting parts of any MR car are over engineered due to engine location.

Just take this time to figure out what you want to do with the car do you want to "modify" the car if so take time to shop for the components that will suit your taste and don't expect any value added to them at time of resell.

Leave the car alone and drive it occasionally but how is that possible if you love the car right.

Or lastly sell it and get yourself a 240 which is what seems to be the trend.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Like all of us I need time not miles.
Some of us need miles, not time... just talk to The Stig! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he hit 90K before the car sustained the unfortunate fatality at the hands of an SUV...

I myself have another year left, and only 4K miles... About ready to latch off, and seriously consider one of the SC options.

I for one had success with the warranty, which covered a spontaneously shattered rear window, a new transmission for a failed 3rd gear synchro, and a few other minor things. I don't remember ever being told NO for what I thought was a warranty repair. If you ask me, the Lotus warranty is as good as any.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts