1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Probably still being processed.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'm hearing about some of the early cars going right to auctions. Supposedly a magnetic blue is being auctioned tomorrow in FL.

Stan

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Uhg! Well tomorrow will be 10 days and I was hoping the 10-15 day wait would have been 10. I know in in the real Lotus world the 15 days is probably the earliest. Would a dealer be able to tell if it has left the distrubution facility and is on a truck?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Stan I believe you're right about the car being auctioned, I heard from a Lotus dealer a couple of hours ago that another car was delivered and has already been auctioned and it fetched 55k, no word on packages, colors etc though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
How about somene giving us some information on the auction house that these cars are going to huh???? I mean maybe some of us want to get in on these auctions too!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Later Apex said:
How about somene giving us some information on the auction house that these cars are going to huh???? I mean maybe some of us want to get in on these auctions too!!!
I would imagine that many would be dealer-only auctions. Like Mannheim in Pennsylvania.

ed

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>How about somene giving us some information on the auction house that these cars are going to huh???? I mean maybe some of us want to get in on these auctions too!!!<<<

Well I found out because I had an agreement to buy that car...but the guy ditched me and decided to auction it instead. Maybe he got a higher offer or did the auction already or something, who knows. Some of these guys are not very honest. He's got several more cars too. There is a bit of this sort of thing going on. Good thing I didn't buy my plane tickets!!

Stan

·
Registered
963 Posts
Stan said:
>>>How about somene giving us some information on the auction house that these cars are going to huh???? I mean maybe some of us want to get in on these auctions too!!!<<<

Well I found out because I had an agreement to buy that car...but the guy ditched me and decided to auction it instead. Maybe he got a higher offer or did the auction already or something, who knows. Some of these guys are not very honest. He's got several more cars too. There is a bit of this sort of thing going on. Good thing I didn't buy my plane tickets!!

Stan
Stan, what dealer are you working with? Who's auctioning off their cars?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd really like to know where these 7/17 cars are, too. Are any of the recent deliveries out of this batch?

Damn, I feel like an expectant father-to-be -- and this 2 year gestation period is killing me. Luckily, I didn't put on any sympathy weight . . .

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>How can cars just be taken off ship and sent to auction? Who owns these cars?<<<

Good question. Some dealers seem to be buying cars fro other dealers.

>>Stan, what dealer are you working with? Who's auctioning off their cars??<<

The ones I have run across are from guys with very low numbers at multiple dealerships. I'd have the magnetic blue car now if the guy had a title for it. He gets that next week but sold it yesterday or today at auction, most likely for more money than our agreement which is probably what killed the deal. There are other folks on the lists that are not multiple speculators but whose cars can be procured.

Some of the dealers are aware of the situation and work with the list members to assist matters, or don't want to help out at all. Some dealers insist that a car be delivered to the person that is on the list or the deal is off. In that case someone such as me would buy the car from that person after they bought it from the dealer. But the first title would not yet have been produced, hence there is a lag for paperwork. Kinda sad that a 5 day lag to get the new title contributed to my losing that car though. I can't register a car in CT with no title though. Apparently in some states you can do it off of a bill of sale alone, or use the float period that title/escrow insurance provides.

Stan

·
Registered
963 Posts
So, these aren't Lotus dealers sending their cars to auction, it's people that are 1 and 2ish on the wait lists that buy them from the dealer and auction them off themselves?

If so, that's fine, as long as I don't get bumped on my place on the wait list so a dealer can auction off my car! :eek:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
tidal,

Any word if that Dimmitt customer who was first in line is having that turbo put in? He was supposed to have it done before even taking delivery.

Just curious,
Jim

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't think so. The one car in service was just being prepped. Then, one was the demo and the other two were ready to be picked up/shipped. So, none of these cars appeared to be for that guy getting the turbo.

Do you remember what number he was? Didn't he live in NY or something? I thought he was getting a blue one. Maybe they are just shipping it to him, without the turbo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh, for f*'s sake...

...just got off the phone with St. Louis dealership...

My car arrived on the 7/17 shipment. Got the clear bra. Car's ready to go, but not been transported yet. It's just sitting at port, or the distribution center, or wherever.

Dealer talked with 'factory'. No one has any idea when it might get transported. He said that they are still trying to get demos and #1 customer cars out to ALL the dealers, so my car might well sit there for a while, as those other cars have priority.

(sigh)

I ask if it will be ready to pick up next week or the following weekend, and he honesty doesn't know. He thinks middle of the month... so in essence, about a month after it hit port?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>So, these aren't Lotus dealers sending their cars to auction, it's people that are 1 and 2ish on the wait lists that buy them from the dealer and auction them off themselves? If so, that's fine, as long as I don't get bumped on my place on the wait list so a dealer can auction off my car! <<<

In this case one of the Florida dealers is NOT selling the car to the person on their list. But to anyone who can reach a deal with the person AND can get that person to keep their word and close. Titles, plates, revised paperwork for whomever and so forth. Stuff that the dealer is not supposed to do. Some times this guy buys the car outright, and then resells it. In that case the dealer is expediting a title in 5 days instead of the normal long wait to help the speculator out. Sometimes the (famous) dealer just changes the sales order or says they will and otherwise assists matters. I've heard of a number of examples so far. The person I was dealing with has at least three or more early Elises available or already sold to folks not on the lists.

Some might consider this okay and some not okay. I'm disgusted because I got used to lead to a higher priced sale to someone else. Honestly had I been able to get the guy to close I'd be happy now since I'd have an Elise right now, magnetic blue.

Thing is, my lawyer says I actually do have a deal on the car and have the VIN number. That can affect all sorts of things such as if that car can even be titled. I wonder if I should post the VIN so folks can watch out.

I'd really prefer to see the early cars go to those who want the cars. This would be my third Lotus. Having said the aforementioned, I'm still interested in buying an Elise earlier rather than later!

Stan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts