The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my fix. Where are all the cars right now?

·
Registered
96 Posts
NMRJock said:
I'd like to get my fix. Where are all the cars right now?
One of them is supposedly on the way to Valenti in CT, from NY, but as of Saturday, it hadn't left NY like it was supposed to...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I feel obligated to say that I think it is would be increadibly rude to want to drive any of the FED demo cars if you are already on the wait list. As you know, they will sell the demo cars to customers just like the regular cars, and if you are already getting the car, and have a deposit down, not to mention if your order has been taken, you are devaluing someone's car for the fun of it. I will get my car in the first batch, so I guess I can't relate to wanting to drive the Demo cars, but I think it realistic to think that with such a small number of cars being imported, and so few Lotus and Elise chat rooms, there are probably people around that will be getting the demo cars. I wonder if anyone would want to drive a Demo car if they could put a face or a name with it. I for one would never want to feel that I had stolen a ride on someone's car, especially one as special as the Elise.

On a side note, if a Demo is slotted to be a Demo, and there are no immediate plans to sell it/them to the public, then it owuld change my feelings slightly. As for the European models, or even the pieced togeather European/Fed frankenstein cars, I would not feel badly taking them for a quick spin, as long as there was not an immediate buyer for them.

If fellow Lotus owners start abusing each other's cars, imagine what a valet guy will do!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa! First, I'm not set on driving it. I've not seen the federal interior yet. I haven't placed my order (though I do have a deposit down) and could learn a lot from seeing one (or better several).
Second, I WOULD drive it given the opportunity, as I haven't completely decided on a suspension yet, and a baseline from which to make a decision would certainly be nice. That's what the demos are for, and I'm sure that most future owners would let me take a quick spin in their car to check them out knowing that I'm a serious buyer and not intent on abusing it. I'd certainly let someone from this forum drive mine to help them make a decision so long as I didn't get a bad vibe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mean TT said:
On a side note, if a Demo is slotted to be a Demo, and there are no immediate plans to sell it/them to the public, then it owuld change my feelings slightly. As for the European models, or even the pieced togeather European/Fed frankenstein cars, I would not feel badly taking them for a quick spin, as long as there was not an immediate buyer for them.

If fellow Lotus owners start abusing each other's cars, imagine what a valet guy will do!
Waaa? Palm Beach Motor cars has already offered to let me drive the demo when they get their first batch of 10 cars, and I'm sure as heck going to take them up on their offer.

If you are talking about the demo at the LA auto show, that car is not drivable. I believe it doesn't even have brake lines.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Mean TT said:
I feel obligated to say that I think it is would be increadibly rude to want to drive any of the FED demo cars if you are already on the wait list. As you know, they will sell the demo cars to customers just like the regular cars, and if you are already getting the car, and have a deposit down, not to mention if your order has been taken, you are devaluing someone's car for the fun of it. I will get my car in the first batch, so I guess I can't relate to wanting to drive the Demo cars, but I think it realistic to think that with such a small number of cars being imported, and so few Lotus and Elise chat rooms, there are probably people around that will be getting the demo cars. I wonder if anyone would want to drive a Demo car if they could put a face or a name with it. I for one would never want to feel that I had stolen a ride on someone's car, especially one as special as the Elise.

What on earth are you talking about?

I dont think that dealers are going to be using already sold cars to allow other people to take "rides" in. A demo car is just that! A DEMO car. I think probably 95% of the people on this board have deposits or have ordered and have NEVER driven an Elise, let alone a Federal Elise. I think its perfectly acceptable to want to drive a car before you drop $50,000 on it ( tax, title, and options).

If, when a demo is sold, its sold as a demo. The buyer is fully aware of that when they buy it, and get a discount for it, and assume the responsibility that it may have been treated a little off in its life.

Now if you're inferring that already sold cars ( such as mine which is coming in the first batch) would be allowed to be taken out..then I would hunt you down and kill you. But Ive never ever heard of a dealer who did that, plus you'd see the miles on it and know.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Andreas said:
Waaa? Palm Beach Motor cars has already offered to let me drive the demo when they get their first batch of 10 cars, and I'm sure as heck going to take them up on their offer.

If you are talking about the demo at the LA auto show, that car is not drivable. I believe it doesn't even have brake lines.
The fed cars that are making there way around (at least the green one) are fully driveable. But the dealers have to sign things saying they won't drive them other than to load/unload them.

I don't know how many people I heard in clearwater saying that the reason they couldn't be is because they were not US specs.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
BrokenR1 said:
The fed cars that are making there way around (at least the green one) are fully driveable. But the dealers have to sign things saying they won't drive them other than to load/unload them.

I don't know how many people I heard in clearwater saying that the reason they couldn't be is because they were not US specs.:rolleyes:
Gotya, maybe this story was started so that people wouldn't keep pressuring the dealers.

Hmm, now that I know the 'truth, I'm going to go hunt down that car. =) J/k.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The whole purpose of the demo is to give people the chance to drive them. At least they'll know what they're getting themselves into. Remember they will have a long wait for the car.

The demos will be sold or kept at dealers discretion and as Lotus as always done, certainly the demo price will be discounted.

Only so many of us enthusiasts who would buy a car without having driven one!

CHris:D

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've driven a European 111S to get a feel for the car and have already put in my order for the fed car. But I still want to drive a Fed car before I drop the dough, if for no other reason to prove how brilliant I am to get in early :D I need a fix as soon as I can get it, it would be nigh impossible to for me to be convinced I don't want this car.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If my dealer gets an LSS car I would certainly like to drive it so that I can see how it differs from the Standard setup.

·
Registered
963 Posts
BrokenR1 said:

I drove that car! But only in first gear. :(

·
Registered
963 Posts
atyclb said:
not according to clyde
Well, the green is drivable, I can tell you that. If it runs in any gear besides first though, I don't know, but it does run.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have it from a reliable source that the yellow car did not have brake pads (some say "brake lines", I understood "brake linings") when it was transported to the Chicago autoshow. If that's the only thing missing, it would be easy enough to change...

It's not unheard of that dealers (in general, not talking about Lotus dealers here) use new cars ordered by customers for test drives and their own private joy rides. I would be very upset if anybody did that to a car I buy. If I'm paying for a new car, I certainly don't want it to be (ab)used on test drives. Since it sounds like Lotus is forcing dealers to buy the first car as a demo, and doesn't allow them to sell it for a certain time period, this shouldn't be a problem with the Elise.

When I asked about driving an Elise (Euro or Fed), my dealer said that there wouldn't be an opportunity until the first batch with their demo arrives. Then I would be welcome to drive it, even with an order already placed.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Palm Beach told me they would be calling everyone who placed an order when they got their demo in. I believe it is Storm Titanium with a hardtop and touring package. I assume they will be using this car and not the ones that were ordered.

Luckily, I live close to the dealer and can start staking them out waiting for the cars to be delivered to make sure that they arent joyriding in my car!

My car should be in the first batch and I am not getting LSS but I know someone in the first 10 that is. We are planning on getting together after we take delivery of our cars to compare how they handle and ride after and will post the information. I will also post when and where we are doing the comparison test in case anybody in the area wants to stop by and check out the cars.

·
Registered
587 Posts
tidalwdave said:
Well, the green is drivable, I can tell you that. If it runs in any gear besides first though, I don't know, but it does run.
Thank you, Sir, you have just given me new wall paper :).

- John
BRG, biscuit, touring, hard top, but not ordered yet :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
xxxotic said:
My car should be in the first batch and I am not getting LSS but I know someone in the first 10 that is. We are planning on getting together after we take delivery of our cars to compare how they handle and ride after and will post the information. I will also post when and where we are doing the comparison test in case anybody in the area wants to stop by and check out the cars.
Very cool, can't wait to hear about it.

Ryan told me the breakdown of orders is 20% sports, 90% touring. I think I'll be one of the only ones who ordered sports without the touring package. =)

I also ordered Saffron Yellow like most other folks. Any idea what % of cars are this color? My guess is probably 40-50%.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Lotus of Atlanta will have one of the cars at the Atlanta Auto show on March 10-14th, I haven't heard whcih one though.
As to demo cars, I am #3 at Star Motors and have had a deposit since November 2001, I have driven SII cars on two occasions. I fully expect to drive the Fed. car as soon as it is available. I think I have earned that right, a demo car is for demonstration and I expect to partake in a lot of demonstrating!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
tidalwdave said:
[
Tidalwdave,

What a fantastic picture! Thank you.

What camera do you use?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts