The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight to the dealership or first to LCU and then to the dealership?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I think that Chris has arranged for the entire first shipment to be routed to Lotus of Atlanta.

No reason for double handling, so I would imagine that after cars are unloaded from the ships, they head off to the various dealers.

I'm willing to take a number and wait for mine on the dock, but I doubt that it will work that way.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think they're all shipped to Lotus Cars USA for a "pre-pre-delivery inspection", then shipped to the individual dealers.

Although I'm really not certain...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Far as I know only cars destined for the Atlanta area will come through LCU (and perhaps other dealers nearby, don't know for sure). Otherwise I think the plan is for them to go from the ports directly to the dealer or a distribution center.

Even with the new bigger LCU, they won't begin to have enough space to store cars and since the cars are containered and essentially prepped before leaving UK it'd be pointless for them to come to LCU, just delays getting to the dealer.

JML, I only need two cars to come through LCU and head for LOA, that'd be the demo and MINE all MINE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
In SoCal, many car dealers ship their vehicles into the Port of Los Angeles, while many use Port Hueneme (in Ventura County). I'm not sure, but at the LA Auto Show one of the Lotus guys thought that our cars would be coming into Hueneme.

This is how I envisioned cars arriving. But, since the Elises are being shipped in containers, they probably are lifted off by cranes instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
After the cars arrive, they sit around on the dock, presumably waiting for those transport trucks to load up several of them and take them to a dealer. Note: all pictures are from Port Hueneme.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
So, do we know what's happening to the containers after they arrive? Are they uncrated at the dock or are the containers shipped to the dealer, then unpacked?

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
jml1952 said:
In SoCal, many car dealers ship their vehicles into the Port of Los Angeles, while many use Port Hueneme (in Ventura County). I'm not sure, but at the LA Auto Show one of the Lotus guys thought that our cars would be coming into Hueneme.
Excellent! I work right next to that area. I see Mazdas, BMWs, Hyundais all the time! I will for sure tip you guys off once I see Elises! I'm now buying binoculars. LOL I've seen that big ass green ship before.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In your dreams they're unboxed at the dealership..

Nope, from the stories I've heard the very first break-in drive every imported car gets is by union longshoremen driving them to the assigned holding lot.

One thread on another board described the smell of tire smoke thick in the air anytime a ship of sporty or musclecars showed up.

Think of the cargo handlers as seating your piston rings.. it will ease the tears.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Ground Loop said:

Nope, from the stories I've heard the very first break-in drive every imported car gets is by union longshoremen driving them to the assigned holding lot.

One thread on another board described the smell of tire smoke thick in the air anytime a ship of sporty or musclecars showed up.

Think of the cargo handlers as seating your piston rings.. it will ease the tears.
Dude, stop it. Seriously stop.:(

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Maybe shay2nak can take a bag lunch to a grassy knoll near the dock one day when a flat of Porches unloads and describe for us how the new cars are driven to the lot. I don't think we'll enjoy the tale.

Seriously, if any dealership ever offered me the extra cost option to pick up my car at the dock, foam blocks, tape, and plastic bags -- I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
>>>>Where are the elise's headed first?<<<<

Mines headed for the hills, then the desert. Purchase in Salt Lake City then drive home to Los Angeles. Gonna take the scenic route
unless it's winter and icy when it comes.

Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
g-loop,
That was one of the reasons the cars are being shipped containerized, as the esprits are. To avoid unloading them at the port. Before they shipped esprits in containers they used to ship the cars in the open, they were sprayed with some crap called transeal, what a nightmare to clean off.

Chris

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
_JD_ said:
A 300 lb sweathog breaking the cherry on my car- that is so harsh and horrible imagery- tks Aty.:)

But will they even fit into an Elise. I assume the roofs will be pre-installed onto the Elises.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ground Loop said:

And just to make you feel better about yourself, the average longshoremen makes over $100K a year. http://www.rense.com/general30/long.htm

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
The cars (BMW, Mazda, Hyundai) are driven off of the ship and are parked in lots. (I'm guessing here, I'm not sure where or when the cars are inspected & repaired) Then car transports load them up and ship them to their appropriate dealers. The cars are parked very close together. I've seen people drive the Hyundais and they drive them normally (not speeding or revving). Some of them have covers on their wheels if they have alloys. Most/all of them have paper stuck on parts of the car where dust would collect. Some of the cars, BMW for instance, have been sitting in the lots for a long time and have lots of dust & dirt colleced on them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts